MagSafe Accessories

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems that there should be more MagSafe accessories available. There are plenty of cases (most of which differ only by color), and there are some chargers. Paying $59 for a MagSafe wallet seems beyond excessive. Since I have Apple CarPlay I have no use for a MagSafe car mount. But there must be something else.

What could they do with MagSafe that would make an awesome accessory?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
It seems that there should be more MagSafe accessories available. There are plenty of cases (most of which differ only by color), and there are some chargers. Paying $59 for a MagSafe wallet seems beyond excessive. Since I have Apple CarPlay I have no use for a MagSafe car mount. But there must be something else.
Agreed. The mounts and stands are not that useful to me right now, the current wallet is simply not for me, and I already have a MagSafe case.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is a battery pack/powerbank. I’m a bit conflicted about those. Sure, if I’m out and about and in need of a off-the-grid recharge I can see how not messing with cables can be convenient. On the other hand, if I’m away, I wouldn’t want to lose potentially needed power due to charging inefficiencies.

What could they do with MagSafe that would make an awesome accessory?
My imagination is strangely limited at the moment. It feels like there should be so many possibilities for an awesome accessory but it‘s all blank at the moment.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would want a MagSafe wireless charger. my iPhone 11 I have to carefully position it on the charger to find the sweet spot its a pain there is shut a tiny area that will charge it.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love this thing
Belkin BOOST↑CHARGE PRO 3-in-1 Wireless Charger with MagSafe - Black

1633215799219.png

PopSockets also has a MagSafe PopSocket if you’re in to those

I agree though there needs to be more MagSafe accessories.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I would want a MagSafe wireless charger. my iPhone 11 I have to carefully position it on the charger to find the sweet spot its a pain there is shut a tiny area that will charge it.
If you don't want to get a magsafe charger, just go with a stand up wireless charger. The stand up idea is that it only allows you to put it in the right position, otherwise the phone basically falls off. Not as certain as magsafe of course, since that "grabs" the phone, but the one I have worked great for my XR & now 13.

They were always on sale. Where I got mine for like $12.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
MagSafe charges up to 2x faster than a regular Qi charging pad. Here’s a good rundown of the differences. Qi is definitely cheaper though.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
MagSafe charges up to 2x faster than a regular Qi charging pad. Here’s a good rundown of the differences. Qi is definitely cheaper though.

For myself, since I am not a phone "power user" how fast my phone gets charged is meaningless. I tend to put my phone on the charger at night if it needs it. So it won't matter how slow the charger is, my phone is fully charged by the time the alarm to wake up goes off. With that kind of setup, I can imagine the only mag safe product I would consider is the mag safe battery pack. Even then can't imagine how many times I would ever use it, until I get back on the road more regularly.

Believe me, I've been tempted to start the always inevitable accessory buying phase of new Apple products, but I haven't seen anything yet that is truly "must have".

Apple's changes of late all seem very minimal, and just to drive the purchase of the latest & greatest Apple accessory over what you probably already have.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
For myself, since I am not a phone "power user" how fast my phone gets charged is meaningless. I tend to put my phone on the charger at night if it needs it. So it won't matter how slow the charger is, my phone is fully charged by the time the alarm to wake up goes off. With that kind of setup, I can imagine the only mag safe product I would consider is the mag safe battery pack. Even then can't imagine how many times I would ever use it, until I get back on the road more regularly.

Believe me, I've been tempted to start the always inevitable accessory buying phase of new Apple products, but I haven't seen anything yet that is truly "must have".

Apple's changes of late all seem very minimal, and just to drive the purchase of the latest & greatest Apple accessory over what you probably already have.
I don’t use wireless charging, since the old-fashioned plugin method is faster, cheaper, and the phone has to hold still when it’s charging anyway. But I like to keep myself informed. :cool:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you don't want to get a magsafe charger, just go with a stand up wireless charger. The stand up idea is that it only allows you to put it in the right position, otherwise the phone basically falls off. Not as certain as magsafe of course, since that "grabs" the phone, but the one I have worked great for my XR & now 13.

They were always on sale. Where I got mine for like $12.
I had the expensive welkin and it was finicky with the 11 I think I tired the anchor but cant remember. I made one using the puck and a wood stand. but still side ti side it was tricky. the 11 seemed to only have a tiny spot to get it it charge. far harder to find it then the phone before it.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Will have to look into that. I already miss having something on the back to hang onto.

I’m beginning to think I may never need the battery backup with the charge I get in the iPhone 13.
I never used a PopSocket until they released the MagSafe one and I had to give it a try and I must say it’s very handy. Definitely helps hanging on to the phone and makes a nice stand in portrait orientation.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I never used a PopSocket until they released the MagSafe one and I had to give it a try and I must say it’s very handy. Definitely helps hanging on to the phone and makes a nice stand in portrait orientation.
ya I hated that it was in the may most of the time but it might work when I get a new phone.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I don’t use wireless charging, since the old-fashioned plugin method is faster, cheaper, and the phone has to hold still when it’s charging anyway. But I like to keep myself informed. :cool:
All true. Well, not as still with MagSafe, but yeah.

Nevertheless, I still use a lot of Qi charging anyway when I’m at home without plans to leave soon. I have installed Qi pads in my desk and bedside tables, and have a pad in the kitchen too, basically everywhere where I put the phone down for extended periods of time. It is a very convenient way for me to charge the phone when time is not of the essence.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I never bothered with the MagSafe on my iPhone 12, not when the Apple charger was an eye watering £59. I put my phone on a charge pad each night and pick it up in the morning. I don’t care how quickly it charges in that 8 hours I’m not using it to be honest.

The Apple cases have always been expensive and not the best quality and don’t get me started on that magnetic card holder Apple released [emoji2359]. What a weird time to promote carrying cards when Apple Pay works nearly everywhere lol!!

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Just ordered this for the girlfriend's car:

Hopefully it'll keep her from killing her battery FaceTiming all of the time. Heh. No, don't get started on her FaceTiming in the car - no level of preaching is going to get her to change her ways - she's been doing it for years. :D

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I got myself a cheap magnetic “luxury leather wallet” from AliExpress to use with my transit pass. The wallet turned out to have RFID blocking (not mentioned on the product page). Bummer! 😆

For my transit pass MagSafe wallet use case, I sure would have loved integration with “Find My” to know where I separated it from my phone. Just not sixty bucks of love…

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I got myself a cheap magnetic “luxury leather wallet” from AliExpress to use with my transit pass. The wallet turned out to have RFID blocking (not mentioned on the product page). Bummer! 😆

For my transit pass MagSafe wallet use case, I sure would have loved integration with “Find My” to know where I separated it from my phone. Just not sixty bucks of love…
I have the first generation Apple wallet and the RFID blocking is the only thing I don’t like about it. I have to use my work badge several times a day and if I could just hold the wallet (or phone + wallet) up to the badge readers, that would be amazing.

If you ever do find a magsafe wallet that lacks RFID blocking, do let me know.

Top Bottom
1 2