Man claims first stimulus package could have given every American $20k.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
If that was all it did and no money went to other entities like business. I didn’t do the math but if it does come out close to that, that probably would have been a hell of lot better than the corruption and fraud enabling package they pushed through.

Sorry, no links to “Man” but it was a news interview I saw sometime back and it stuck with me. It was just an average person saying it, not some economic suit. He was a small business owner fighting the lockdowns complaining the government half assed it. He said if people received that 20k directly then businesses would have been more than happy to shutdown for months as well as people not working. Instead they fumbled through a small business loan process wide open to fraud and gave people scraps while having no unified and strict health policy.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah it there was ever a time for a government to print money for captive residents of a consumer-based economy, it was back in the spring before the GOP managed to get us into political fights over masking up and maintaining social distance.

People forget about civic activism (like calling up Congress to say what the f'g hey?!) at predictable times: one is when they're about to be so broke all they can think of is how to get something to eat right now, and the other is when they've got enough money to think about getting an extra TV without having to give up a lot of pizza nights. Means we so often leave a lot of the lobbying to professionals on K Street and to the very wealthy.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah it there was ever a time for a government to print money for captive residents of a consumer-based economy, it was back in the spring before the GOP managed to get us into political fights over masking up and maintaining social distance.

People forget about civic activism (like calling up Congress to say what the f'g hey?!) at predictable times: one is when they're about to be so broke all they can think of is how to get something to eat right now, and the other is when they've got enough money to think about getting an extra TV without having to give up a lot of pizza nights. Means we so often leave a lot of the lobbying to professionals on K Street and to the very wealthy.

I guarantee if everybody got 20k last spring there would be a lot less mentally unstable people running amuck right now.

It also would have been an interesting study on personal financial responsibility seeing what demographics and when they started claiming they’re broke. Whose blasting through 20k and on what?

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Payments should have been monthly/semi-monthly at the start. Like several nations did. One time $1200 payments during this pandemic made absolutely no sense. Ongoing payments tied to data levels (unemployment, COVID levels, etc) should be looked at now. Regular direct payments also cuts out the bureaucracy and waste potential.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is usually true. Just like when the government bailed out the banks. If they’d bailed out the bank customers, everyone could have won.

There’s no crisis too great for our government to not make sure first and foremost that they convert your tax dollars into more wealth hoarding at the top, even more than if the crisis never happened. Secondly they’ll create a situation where those at the bottom will lose their houses or businesses which will then be converted to fire sale prices to those who got your tax dollars. So a good chunk of your tax dollars will go to an entity who will use your tax dollars down the road to kick you out into the street and call it a favor.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Listened to the Joe Walsh Show Friday episode and he essentially said the same thing as this man except he felt people should have gotten 50k and if the government is going to force you to shut down your business or work at limited capacity then they should foot the bill to ensure that doesn't become a permanent closure.

I think it's safe to say politicians should now STFU on being champions of small business.

lizkat

Reaction score
Payments should have been monthly/semi-monthly at the start. Like several nations did. One time $1200 payments during this pandemic made absolutely no sense. Ongoing payments tied to data levels (unemployment, COVID levels, etc) should be looked at now. Regular direct payments also cuts out the bureaucracy and waste potential.

They thought hard about that pittance of $1200 in the USA and for round 2 they've had a better idea: SIX hundred bucks.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1341016240337408001/

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
They thought hard about that pittance of $1200 in the USA and for round 2 they've had a better idea: SIX hundred bucks.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1341016240337408001/

If we're going to be honest there are probably didn't need the $1,200 and don't need the $600, but to be even further honest they will probably spend it on something they might have been holding back on and that helps the overall economy.

I don't know why politicians can't see the obvious economic principle that if people have more money then they will spend it which boosts a healthy economy. Maybe it's because they hang around a bunch of people who feel the best thing to do with money is let it sit in the bank because they already have more money than they know what to do with.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
If that was all it did and no money went to other entities like business. I didn’t do the math but if it does come out close to that, that probably would have been a hell of lot better than the corruption and fraud enabling package they pushed through.

Sorry, no links to “Man” but it was a news interview I saw sometime back and it stuck with me. It was just an average person saying it, not some economic suit. He was a small business owner fighting the lockdowns complaining the government half assed it. He said if people received that 20k directly then businesses would have been more than happy to shutdown for months as well as people not working. Instead they fumbled through a small business loan process wide open to fraud and gave people scraps while having no unified and strict health policy.
Wasn't that thinking of many who advocated just paying people 1K a month during the summer "shut down"? It wasn't meant as an all year 'Andrew Yang/UBI' approach, but just basically paying people to stay home knowing they had their basic needs met. Then republicans whined that would discourage people from working, ...in a time when we were telling people NOT to go to work unless you were essential. That's NOT even accounting that they people who could work from home would make more money, and unlike the very wealthy would be more include to put it back into businesses helping keep them afloat.

lizkat

Reaction score
If we're going to be honest there are probably didn't need the $1,200 and don't need the $600, but to be even further honest they will probably spend it on something they might have been holding back on and that helps the overall economy.

I don't know why politicians can't see the obvious economic principle that if people have more money then they will spend it which boosts a healthy economy. Maybe it's because they hang around a bunch of people who feel the best thing to do with money is let it sit in the bank because they already have more money than they know what to do with.

Bloomberg Opinion section ran a column today by a guy suggesting that taxing the wealthy is a bad idea right now (like there is ever a right time to tax the wealthy from the wealthy's POV) and how about instead tax pensioners and others on fixed income since they are the main beneficiaries of other people's taxed endeavors. Not sure how far the guy's tongue in cheek was on that offering... but it probably would reap some unfamily-printable comments if Bloomberg Opinion pieces had a more robust ordinary consumer level of readership to begin with.

But for openers, the wealthy don't spend into a consumer-based economy anyway unless they can write it off. Hence btw the provision in the latest stimulus bill that brings back deductibility of the "three martini" lunch for business "leaders". Go figure.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Wasn't that thinking of many who advocated just paying people 1K a month during the summer "shut down"? It wasn't meant as an all year 'Andrew Yang/UBI' approach, but just basically paying people to stay home knowing they had their basic needs met. Then republicans whined that would discourage people from working, ...in a time when we were telling people NOT to go to work unless you were essential. That's NOT even accounting that they people who could work from home would make more money, and unlike the very wealthy would be more include to put it back into businesses helping keep them afloat.
Paying people to stay home was on the table, as was shipping masks to everybody in America. The $*^&ing orange turd made sure that neither would happen. He is a mass murderer; I don’t know how else to put it. He knew exactly how to protect people and worked very hard to do the exact opposite.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Paying people to stay home was on the table, as was shipping masks to everybody in America. The $*^&ing orange turd made sure that neither would happen. He is a mass murderer; I don’t know how else to put it. He knew exactly how to protect people and worked very hard to do the exact opposite.

Trump has sent nearly 800 Tweets since the election. Of that...

number of Tweets about Covid deaths - 0
number of Tweets about covid relief - 4

I think we can easily figure out what the rest of the Tweets were about. He should be thrown in prison and his remaining supporters thrown in deprogramming camps. They will remain a threat even when he is out of office.

Top Bottom
1 2