Manafort pulled off plane for expired passport

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Having taken several international flights …. I can’t be the only one wondering: How does one get ONTO a plane with a revoked passport?!

I’m working on two patent cases right now involving passports, and I’d like to know, too.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Perhaps if the TSA guy looks at it, recognizes who it is and says "MAGA!", he can get through to the gate. Once at the gate, the airline usually just scans your phone or boarding pass, at least on domestic flights.

I have wondered what happens if you go into Canada or Mexico with domestic ID, whether they let you in or not, when you try to re-enter the US and they find your ID unacceptable, what do they do? Send you back over the border? Or lock you up?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps if the TSA guy looks at it, recognizes who it is and says "MAGA!", he can get through to the gate. Once at the gate, the airline usually just scans your phone or boarding pass, at least on domestic flights.

I have wondered what happens if you go into Canada or Mexico with domestic ID, whether they let you in or not, when you try to re-enter the US and they find your ID unacceptable, what do they do? Send you back over the border? Or lock you up?

it depends. I got stopped coming back into the US from canada and was held for awhile. Good times.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
Last time I was in Canada was some 20+ years ago: getting into Canada was the hard part, but coming back was like they just waved at us as we drove through. CBP is pretty obnoxious in northern Montana or southern NM – if they ask, refrain from responding "somos Americanos".

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Last time I was in Canada was some 20+ years ago: getting into Canada was the hard part, but coming back was like they just waved at us as we drove through. CBP is pretty obnoxious in northern Montana or southern NM – if they ask, refrain from responding "somos Americanos".

I had long hair, my friend had long hair and a nose ring, we were traveling with an Asian american girl who forgot her driver’s license, and my car was pretty beat up. So they essentially took my car apart when i tried to cross back. I must have been there 4 or 5 hours. We were going to Toronto for a 3-day outdoor music festival at mopar park.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I figure after he checked in, his passport rang some bells somewhere and that’s when they decided to revoke it and remove him from the plane. I did not get the impression it had already been revoked.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
I figure after he checked in, his passport rang some bells somewhere and that’s when they decided to revoke it and remove him from the plane. I did not get the impression it had already been revoked.
it had

Manafort is not legally prevented from leaving the country or from applying for a new passport to replace his old one. It was not clear why he had tried to travel on an invalid passport. … Manafort's passport was revoked in October 2017 after his arrest. But it was physically returned to him by the FBI after (Individual-ONE) pardoned him.

Passports are issued by the State Department, so he must be approved by them to get a renewal – not happening any time soon. And, of course, from Dubai you can catch a ride into Мать-Россия, so they will be watching those flights.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I had long hair, my friend had long hair and a nose ring, we were traveling with an Asian american girl who forgot her driver’s license, and my car was pretty beat up. So they essentially took my car apart when i tried to cross back. I must have been there 4 or 5 hours. We were going to Toronto for a 3-day outdoor music festival at mopar park.

Along those lines, if you're ever in college and you're coming back drunk from Tijuana, just go ahead and answer whatever questions the border guys have for you. No jokes, no wasting their time, no kidding around. And certainly don't tell them you're from Kuwait. You might find yourself sitting for an hour or two until they're ready to get back to you. Even if you immediately whip out your ID and say "just kidding! I'm an American!"

Some lessons you only need to learn once. :LOL:

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
hmmm, I can understand that maybe he might have thought it was still valid since it had been returned to him after Trump pardoned him.....but why it wasn't flagged right away when he checked in is more of a mystery

Top Bottom
1 2