Many in Congress and the military don’t want to get Covid vaccine

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Typical GOP, complaining about the lack of normalcy while refusing to do the necessary work to restore that normalcy.

This topic could easily go into the TF Guy thread, except that it has wider implications.

@Thomas Veil: May I suggest a slight amendment to the thread title?

For clarity - as I misunderstood the precise meaning when I first clicked on the thread - what about "Many in Congress Refuse to Get Vaccine" - or "Many in Congress Choose to Decline Vaccine".

"Won't get" suggests that there are objective reasons - such as age, or health criteria - that are being applied to this, whereas "refuse to get", or "decline" makes it quite clear that this is their own choice.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
That’s not a bad idea. In fact I was thinking of updating the title for another reason as well.

It’s worth noting that the military can force troops to get vaccinated—as long as the vaccine is approved by the FDA. But the Covid vaccine wasn’t. It was released under an emergency use authorization.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
That’s not a bad idea. In fact I was thinking of updating the title for another reason as well.

It’s worth noting that the military can force troops to get vaccinated—as long as the vaccine is approved by the FDA. But the Covid vaccine wasn’t. It was released under an emergency use authorization.
I’m hearing 50%. But the FDA approval is coming soon so they will be forced to get it. Annual flu shots are mandatory for active duty, so I guarantee this will be too. In fact, soldiers are getting shots all the time, so I can only assume disinformation campaigns are making them fear this specific shot.

Or..... maybe they think they can avoid coming into work by not getting it? Hmm... maybe they have a point!

U

User.45

I’m hearing 50%. But the FDA approval is coming soon so they will be forced to get it. Annual flu shots are mandatory for active duty, so I guarantee this will be too. In fact, soldiers are getting shots all the time, so I can only assume disinformation campaigns are making them fear this specific shot.

Or..... maybe they think they can avoid coming into work by not getting it? Hmm... maybe they have a point!
Oh. They'll be forced to get the vaccine. Just imagine the national security risk of getting a major COVID outbreak impacting 50% of the force.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I was ordered to take an anthrax vaccine in the military so, yeah, they’re likely to all get vaccinated. That many members not wanting it makes me nervous, and reeks of Fox News in mess halls and galleys.
That is quite true. Trump’s best demographic was white males without a college education. That describes a majority of the Army.

U

User.45

That is quite true. Trump’s best demographic was white males without a college education. That describes a majority of the Army.
I was ordered to take an anthrax vaccine in the military so, yeah, they’re likely to all get vaccinated. That many members not wanting it makes me nervous, and reeks of Fox News in mess halls and galleys.
How bad is the divide between officers and privates?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’m 20 years out of the Navy (enlisted) so I can’t speak to the Army but officers and enlisted seemed to get along well in my experience. The amount of non-whites I served with was much higher than the general non-military population though.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
A pretty strong majority of officers voted Biden, not so much for enlisted… so this isn’t surprising:

There is also a stark difference between the enlisted and officer rate of accepting the vaccine, according to one of source who spoke on condition of anonymity. While only 30% of officers opted out of the vaccine in the source's covered region, more than 55% of enlisted service members turned it down. Enlisted service members make up more than 80% of the military.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A pretty strong majority of officers voted Biden, not so much for enlisted… so this isn’t surprising:
This is pretty much what I've found amongst my friends both retired and active duty. OTOH, the majority of those I know are Black which brings another level to the question. I finally had enough with a friend on FB who was so pro-Trump it turned my stomach. Her excuse was he was the commander in chief and just because she was retired (NCO) didn't absolve her from her oath...never seemed to understand that her oath was to the Constitution and not the guy in office.

U

User.45

This is pretty much what I've found amongst my friends both retired and active duty. OTOH, the majority of those I know are Black which brings another level to the question. I finally had enough with a friend on FB who was so pro-Trump it turned my stomach. Her excuse was he was the commander in chief and just because she was retired (NCO) didn't absolve her from her oath...never seemed to understand that her oath was to the Constitution and not the guy in office.
So is she a staunch Bidenist now?:D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Typical GOP, complaining about the lack of normalcy while refusing to do the necessary work to restore that normalcy.

This topic could easily go into the TF Guy thread, except that it has wider implications.
Ridiculous. In the USN circa 1970-80s vaccinations were routine, even after in the airlines flying internationally, I got both Yellow Fever and Bubonic Plague vaccinations based on the area I might fly to.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Ridiculous. In the USN circa 1970-80s vaccinations were routine, even after in the airlines flying internationally, I got both Yellow Fever and Bubonic Plague vaccinations based on the area I might fly to.

When working abroad, certain, specific, vaccines have been not simply recommended, but necessary - in some cases mandatory - before I could travel/deploy.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
With so many things in the military (especially medical stuff) being mandatory, I think it’s not just the right-wing factor that is causing soldiers to say no. Tell a 19-year-old they have a choice, and they will often choose the opposite of what is suggested just because they can.

Top Bottom
1 2