Many in Congress and the military don’t want to get Covid vaccine

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anti-vaxer Nurses lose lawsuit: Head loser draws parallels between Holocaust and Nazis. The judge told her she was ignorant to make those kind of comparisons referencing prudent safety measures during a pandemic

Federal judge dismisses lawsuit brought by Houston nurses over COVID-19 vaccine requirement​

U

User.45

Anti-vaxer Nurses lose lawsuit: Head loser draws parallels between Holocaust and Nazis. The judge told her she was ignorant to make those kind of comparisons referencing prudent safety measures during a pandemic

Federal judge dismisses lawsuit brought by Houston nurses over COVID-19 vaccine requirement​

As expected. No judge would want to create this precedent.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

I tend to wonder how these jackasses made it through the required coursework and residency terms, although I swear I've encountered a couple IRL. Some people make some incredibly dumb recommendations or suggestions based on their available information. On a couple occasions, they unambiguously contradicted the medical literature on the topic (referring to something as tautological where it wasn't).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I tend to wonder how these jackasses made it through the required coursework and residency terms, although I swear I've encountered a couple IRL. Some people make some incredibly dumb recommendations or suggestions based on their available information. On a couple occasions, they unambiguously contradicted the medical literature on the topic (referring to something as tautological where it wasn't).
This is a very good argument for a Liberal Arts education. You can learn how to give shots and the basics of health care and still be ignorant about lots of things and/or just a gullible sheep being led down the shoot by your prejudices, which can bleed into all sorts of areas of your life.

U

User.45

When my wife (who's also a nurse as a second career) was giving birth our obstetrics nurse was trying to convince me about the safety issues with vaccines. I ignored it because I had more important stuff to do like finding water for my wife and I didn't need the drama, but I was like WTF. Truth be told there are many levels to nursing from vocational nurses (LPNs) to registered nurses (RNs), and unlike with medical school that provides the highest grade of guarantee for competence that really exists for humans, quality of nursing education is really really really variable. There are <200 MD/DO schools in the USA, but 2600 schools for nursing. In my experience, nurses who went to the top 100 nursing schools were consistently excellent, but there have been some nursing schools with just consistently awful alumni..

At the end of the day the quality of a care you get in a hospital will be determined by the nurses and a hallmark of a shitty hospital is nurses with an attitude of "I'm here to prevent you doctors from hurting my patients". I've never met a good nurse who talked shit like this. But I'll say most nurses are insightful and if they tell me something, it's for a good reason and listening to them will make you a much better doctor. But there's a small very vocal group of nurses who keep on telling you what to do and they tell you the wrong things and shrug, like "it ain't my problem" if you take their shitty advice. The craziest of this subgroup will go on refuse to get vaccinated and then get appalled when they are sidelined because of this.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
When my wife (who's also a nurse as a second career) was giving birth our obstetrics nurse was trying to convince me about the safety issues with vaccines. I ignored it because I had more important stuff to do like finding water for my wife and I didn't need the drama, but I was like WTF. Truth be told there are many levels to nursing from vocational nurses (LPNs) to registered nurses (RNs), and unlike with medical school that provides the highest grade of guarantee for competence that really exists for humans, quality of nursing education is really really really variable. There are <200 MD/DO schools in the USA, but 2600 schools for nursing. In my experience, nurses who went to the top 100 nursing schools were consistently excellent, but there have been some nursing schools with just consistently awful alumni..

I imagine some of those schools are quite expensive relative to entry level nurse salaries below the nurse practitioner level. UCLA is ranked quite high, but ignoring tuition, the cost of living near there has gotten completely crazy. Below the level of RN, it doesn't appear to pay that well.

At the end of the day the quality of a care you get in a hospital will be determined by the nurses and a hallmark of a shitty hospital is nurses with an attitude of "I'm here to prevent you doctors from hurting my patients". I've never met a good nurse who talked shit like this. But I'll say most nurses are insightful and if they tell me something, it's for a good reason and listening to them will make you a much better doctor. But there's a small very vocal group of nurses who keep on telling you what to do and they tell you the wrong things and shrug, like "it ain't my problem" if you take their shitty advice. The craziest of this subgroup will go on refuse to get vaccinated and then get appalled when they are sidelined because of this.

I'm not saying they aren't insightful. I've just gotten a handful of really silly statements from nurses and PAs over a number of years. Most of the time, doctors seem to be more cautious in what they state or recommend.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
A Soldier won‘t get the vaccine, so is the only person at work who needs to wear a mask. So he takes leave and according to Army rules he needs to stay home for 5 days, then get a COVID test and come back to work 2 days later if it’s negative. This Soldier puts in 4 days of leave and effectively gets 11 days of leave… genius, right? Turns out, nope. The Soldier shows up at work the day after the end of his leave, sans mask… And has to be reminded to go home for a week….

🤦‍♂️

U

User.45

I imagine some of those schools are quite expensive relative to entry level nurse salaries below the nurse practitioner level. UCLA is ranked quite high, but ignoring tuition, the cost of living near there has gotten completely crazy. Below the level of RN, it doesn't appear to pay that well.
I have yet to be convinced that there's a more valuable college degree than a BSN. You learn something immediately useful with a starting salary is >50K for 3x12H shifts a week. Now it really depends how demanding that 12H shift is...My wife used to pull 22K steps a work day so it can be quite rough is somebody's not lazy (in comparison I maxed on 18K on call...though I have a 2-yard stride). Someone doing 4 shifts a week and floating (being stationed where acute need is), can make 6 figs a few years in. It's "just" hard work. Combine it with insane job security.

I'm not saying they aren't insightful. I've just gotten a handful of really silly statements from nurses and PAs over a number of years. Most of the time, doctors seem to be more cautious in what they state or recommend.
For sure, but again it really depends. Physicians are gonna be objectively the highest trained, they are better at basic science, and undergo residency which in reality doesn't exist for NPs or PAs. The quality of NPs is quite variable. Now an NP with 10 years of prior nursing experience will understand healthcare very very well so a fresh NP degree doesn't necessarily mean they are not good. I've been working with absolutely phenomenal NPs, but they also went to very top programs. On the other hand, a straight to NP program is typically a horrible idea and I would never hire someone from such a program. I'm most annoyed with fresh grad PAs, they do the same curricula as MDs but 3 years of it and there's no postgrad training. So a PA finishes from 0 healthcare experience to be semi independent in 3 years, they work half as much for twice the salary of an intern and they can be the most pompous people in the hospital. Again, this improves with experience, but fresh grad PAs are the worst.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have yet to be convinced that there's a more valuable college degree than a BSN. You learn something immediately useful with a starting salary is >50K for 3x12H shifts a week. Now it really depends how demanding that 12H shift is...My wife used to pull 22K steps a work day so it can be quite rough is somebody's not lazy (in comparison I maxed on 18K on call...though I have a 2-yard stride). Someone doing 4 shifts a week and floating (being stationed where acute need is), can make 6 figs a few years in. It's "just" hard work. Combine it with insane job security.

I get you. I mentioned the UCLA example, because while it's a public university, a typical 1 bedroom apartment in the cheaper parts near there (not Bel Air/Brentwood, which border it) will run you $2k or more in most cases. A few years in, things do sound better.

Personally I sit all day for work, although I get up and walk around a couple times an hour. I'm not much of a sitting person, so I alternate between walking and jogging around 4 miles a day almost daily. I just skip days where my schedule is tight or I don't feel like it, so probably 5-6 days a week, mixed hills and I'm starting to mix in trail running. I think I could probably adapt to long hours on my feet if I was in such a profession, but I couldn't do it sleep deprived.

U

User.45

I get you. I mentioned the UCLA example, because while it's a public university, a typical 1 bedroom apartment in the cheaper parts near there (not Bel Air/Brentwood, which border it) will run you $2k or more in most cases. A few years in, things do sound better.
I lived in LA so I know what you mean. But nursing salaries follow the costs too. So it's probably more like 70-75K in LA.

Personally I sit all day for work, although I get up and walk around a couple times an hour. I'm not much of a sitting person, so I alternate between walking and jogging around 4 miles a day almost daily. I just skip days where my schedule is tight or I don't feel like it, so probably 5-6 days a week, mixed hills and I'm starting to mix in trail running. I think I could probably adapt to long hours on my feet if I was in such a profession, but I couldn't do it sleep deprived.
I have a super sitting job too by now... The physical activity part is nothing compared to the intellectual tortures of sleep deprivation.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I lived in LA so I know what you mean. But nursing salaries follow the costs too. So it's probably more like 70-75K in LA.

That's possible, particularly at private hospitals in expensive areas, Cedar Sinai and similar.

I have a super sitting job too by now... The physical activity part is nothing compared to the intellectual tortures of sleep deprivation.

That's definitely the thing that would get me.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, or what I really mean by that is we don't want them burdening our healthcare system. When you look at the battles they've had in hospitals it's saddening, especially so when they're filled absolute toolbags who refused to take basic preventative measures. It's not fair to them and IMO every last one of these doctors and nurses should be getting a free long vacation at the tax payers expense when all of this is behind us.
That’s why I previously said send the non-vaccinated home, especially the brilliant ones who knew best not to take a vaccine, proven technology for over a century. This is when STUPID comes home to roost, when it’s vitally important not to be stupid. But whatcha gonna do about it? :oops:

There are idiots in my wife’s side of the family, living in <cough> Texas who have refused it, are now sick with it (not in the hospital yet) exposing their young kids to it.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
There are idiots in my wife’s side of the family, living in <cough> Texas who have refused it, are now sick with it (not in the hospital yet) exposing their young kids to it.

I think we've discussed our dumb families elsewhere.

My family upped the ante this week. My mom and her husband were returning from Vermont on Tuesday and needed a ride home from the airport. So I agreed. When I finally find them waiting on their luggage, neither had their masks pulled up. Ok. Neither did 20% of the other people there, even though there were signs everywhere pointing out that they're required. So my mom tells me about an hour before landing, her dumb-ass husband was having problems breathing (he's already had it once back on Mother's Day, so I stand by the dumb-ass label). And walking to the car left him out of breath. He's also very overweight and out of shape. Hopefully short walks always leave him short of breath.

I wore my mask for the whole car ride, which was about an hour. And kept the windows down the whole time. And left my mask on and windows down half the way back to my place. I've been vaccinated for ages and rarely go out anyway, but I'd still rather not catch it, mild case or not. Had I known that was how it was going to go down, I would have bugged my sister to do it. She wouldn't have even noticed anything odd about the situation.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think we've discussed our dumb families elsewhere.

My family upped the ante this week. My mom and her husband were returning from Vermont on Tuesday and needed a ride home from the airport. So I agreed. When I finally find them waiting on their luggage, neither had their masks pulled up. Ok. Neither did 20% of the other people there, even though there were signs everywhere pointing out that they're required. So my mom tells me about an hour before landing, her dumb-ass husband was having problems breathing (he's already had it once back on Mother's Day, so I stand by the dumb-ass label). And walking to the car left him out of breath. He's also very overweight and out of shape. Hopefully short walks always leave him short of breath.

I wore my mask for the whole car ride, which was about an hour. And kept the windows down the whole time. And left my mask on and windows down half the way back to my place. I've been vaccinated for ages and rarely go out anyway, but I'd still rather not catch it, mild case or not. Had I known that was how it was going to go down, I would have bugged my sister to do it. She wouldn't have even noticed anything odd about the situation.
Anybody with breathing problems is at the highest risk of death from this pandemic… Sorry to hear about the family. I hope they survive this.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Anybody with breathing problems is at the highest risk of death from this pandemic… Sorry to hear about the family. I hope they survive this.

The last time they got it, my mother handled it like a champ. Said it was like having a cold. He had a rougher time, but didn't need to go to the hospital. So neither of them got it bad enough to knock some sense into their heads. I kind of hope he does have it again. Maybe the second time around will make them open their eyes.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
When I first heard the military had the OPTION to get the Covid vaccine, it raised my eyebrows! During my military days you were lined up and got the various immunizations that were do pronto! There was no OPTION, lol!
That’s another reason it made me crazy when some soldiers refused to get it, even knowing it would be mandated soon. It’s like: when you were in the line at basic training with half-a-dozen shots, you didn’t whine about it. When you have to get the flu shot every year, you do it. But for some reason you can’t get this one? Glad they finally mandated it. Since that announcement, I’m already seeing soldiers go get the shot before a deadline is even announced.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I first heard the military had the OPTION to get the Covid vaccine, it raised my eyebrows! During my military days you were lined up and got the various immunizations that were do pronto! There was no OPTION, lol!
…same for me, but I never really thought about what might of happened if I said no. Orders cancelled, career impacted in some manner?

Top Bottom
1 2