Martin County school resource deputy faces discipline after gun fired at Treasure Coast Classical Academy

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So this guy did not know how to check if his gun was loaded was playing with it fired a shot in the school and since it is Florida he is ol and maybe gets a hand slap.

MARTIN COUNTY, Fla. — A school resource deputy in Martin County will be given more training and is facing discipline after firing a round from his department-issued gun inside a school.

The incident occurred Monday at Treasure Coast Classical Academy.

Sheriff William Snyder said the deputy was inside his office at the school when the shooting happened.

He told his supervisor that he thought his gun was not loaded when he pulled the trigger.

Snyder said the deputy was doing what's called a dry fire — basically practicing his aim and trigger pressure.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone was not doing the required checks while handling a handgun. I took a couple of gun classes during the pandemic from basic safety to pistol 1 and 2 (they go a lot further up), and our instructor who was a range master for the Mass State Police. Every time he demonstrated a procedure with his handgun or did a dry fire, he would open up and look throughly in the ejection port and even stuck his finger in there checking that there wasn't a round in the chamber or one that would load. I thought it was odd first, but it was a habit from years of handling a weapon safely. I think that is the sort of stuff that keep people from having these "I didn't know it was loaded" accidents. Thank god no one got hurt.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like someone was not doing the required checks while handling a handgun. I took a couple of gun classes during the pandemic from basic safety to pistol 1 and 2 (they go a lot further up), and our instructor who was a range master for the Mass State Police. Every time he demonstrated a procedure with his handgun or did a dry fire, he would open up and look throughly in the ejection port and even stuck his finger in there checking that there wasn't a round in the chamber or one that would load. I thought it was odd first, but it was a habit from years of handling a weapon safely. I think that is the sort of stuff that keep people from having these "I didn't know it was loaded" accidents. Thank god no one got hurt.
right a guy with a gun in a school without the knowledge to operate a gun safely. but its Florida so thats part of it.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
right a guy with a gun in a school without the knowledge to operate a gun safely. but its Florida so thats part of it.
Florida Man... BTW, while I was down in FLA this past March, they do have a beer named "Florida Man". I think some down there have totally embraced the shenanigans that go on in their own state.

Top Bottom
1 2