Marvel Cinematic Universe

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
BTW, loved the ending and the whole series. Solid A- for me, and Wanda Vision I enjoyed, but it's definitely more of a B/B- for me, heck WV could've been a little tighter, lost of EP, and TFATWS could've used another EP.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you finished Falcon & Winter Soldier, because it does show you at the end?

I don't want to spoil it if you haven't finished it yet. Not like those yutzes @ MR.
I stopped watching it. Ok, I’ll finish it, it’s only 3 more episodes, which may help with future movies and maybe even change my mind about the series. :) If you recall the critique involved pacing and short changing which in the past I have described as outline story telling.

From Game of Thrones: The 3 minute battle, or just substitute a statement: there was a battle between the good and bad guys and the bad guys won...

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
You may want to finish it, as Marvel is basically using the TV shows to set up the next slate of films.

If you don't want to see it though, I imagine they will do a "Marvel Legends" episode explaining what happened in the series, sometime in the future.

As I said before, I'm completely biased. Falcon & Bucky are two of my favorite MCU characters, and what alluded to addressing were subjects of interest to me. I just wished they had one more episode & "stones" to actually address some of the issues they raised.

Interesting notes I hadn't realized that have been mentioned. The gov't guy that talks to John Walker & Sam, supposedly isn't referred to by name in the series. Also the word "racism" is actually not mentioned. I have to go back & watch again to see if that is true. I saw those things in a couple of reviews of the series.

Spoiler: Needs more therapist, but I get why she isn't in more episodes.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I'm really hoping this is fan made bullshit, but I wouldn't be surprised if isn't. One of my biggest gripes is how they handled Sharon Carter in the Falcon & the Winter Soldier series.

Note: If you have NOT watched the series, this article is spoilers.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Loki (Disney +)- Gearing to watch this when there are 3 episodes to watch (6 total). I’m a bit concerned about the plot of Loki being in trouble with the Temporal Authority because he stole the Tesseract during End Game. And, oh yeah, he’s not dead again. ;)

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Loki (Disney +)- Gearing to watch this when there are 3 episodes to watch (6 total). I’m a bit concerned about the plot of Loki being in trouble with the Temporal Authority because he stole the Tesseract during End Game. And, oh yeah, he’s not dead again. ;)
That's because he didn't die. ;)

THAT version of Loki of course is NOT the version in Thor: The Dark World.

So the version of Loki in the series is NOT the Loki who began a redemptive arc there, then die later on. So this Loki hasn't died or even faked his death before.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's because he didn't die. ;)

THAT version of Loki of course is NOT the version in Thor: The Dark World.

So the version of Loki in the series is NOT the Loki who began a redemptive arc there, then die later on. So this Loki hasn't died or even faked his death before.
Marvel wants its cake and eat it too or at least it wants it’s audience not to notice It’s inconsistent handling of time travel paradoxes. :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Marvel wants its cake and eat it too or at least it wants it’s audience not to notice It’s inconsistent handling of time travel paradoxes. :)
Not to say Marvel is perfectly consistent with time travel but the instance of Loki being plucked out of time from the first Avengers film for the Loki series story is pretty straightforward.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not to say Marvel is perfectly consistent with time travel but the instance of Loki being plucked out of time from the first Avengers film for the Loki series story is pretty straightforward.
Sure that is straight forward, [change the past, branches you off into a new time line]. Yet this standard is not adhered to in End Game, hence my comment about the audience not noticing or I guess, not caring.

Even when Dr Banner tells the Avengers time does not work that way, change the past and your old present (now a future) is now “your” past, because you are split from it. He says this and yet 3 teams of Avengers go back and change time multiple times, hell just by going back they have changed time and yet they all return to the coherent future they left with a time machine waiting for them, which by this standard no longer exists for them because they are branched into a new time line with a different future.

Think about this, using the branching time line theory, if the writers were clever enough, they would have had to write a whole new story about Thanos trying to acquire all of the Infinity stones that have been hijacked by 6 time traveling Avengers. Then the story would follow the branched time line theory, except for one thing, 3 teams traveling back in time woukd have split themselves off the time line into at least 3 separate time lines, making this too difficult to follow as a narrative.

And if you argue that the single time line is easier to follow, as soon as they went back in time and took Infinity Stones their old future is erased, altered. Unless there was a coincidence for another reason to cause a time machine to be built to receive them they would have been stuck in the past and if an Infinity War happened, it would be under different circumstances.

Clear? :p

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Sure that is straight forward, [change the past, branches you off into a new time line].
Exactly. But you don’t have to stick to this new timeline when traveling back to the future.

Yet this standard is not adhered to in End Game, hence my comment about the audience. Even when Dr Bannon tells the Avengers time does not work that way, change the past and your old present (now a future) is now “your” past, because you are split from it. He says this and yet 3 teams of Avengers go back and change time multiple times, hell just by going back they have changed time and yet they all return to the coherent future they left with a time machine waiting for them, which by this standard no longer exists for them because they are branched into a new time line with a different future.
Ah, that’s your problem. Listen to Banner, not Bannon.

You can’t change your timeline by going into the past is what he’s saying. Any changes you do go into a new timeline while the past of your original timeline is unchanged. Since the timeline you departed from hasn’t changed, returning to it unchanged using a decent time machine isn’t a problem.

Old Cap on the other hand is a harder sell…

Think about this, using the branching time line theory, if the writers were clever enough, they would have had to write a whole new story about Thanos trying to acquire all of the Infinity stones that have been hijacked by 6 time traveling Avengers. Then the story would follow the branched time line theory, except for one thing, 3 teams traveling back in time woukd have split themselves off the time line into at least 3 separate time lines, making this too difficult to follow as a narrative.
Unnecessary as the stones were returned to the branches they were borrowed from immediately from the point of view of those branches. And we don’t get to see what happens in the future of those branches anyway as it is not relevant to the story being told.

Edit: Ok, except kind of for the branch Thanos travels from, but that’s part of the story being told.

And if you argue that the single time line is easier to follow, as soon as they went back in time and took Infinity Stones their old future is erased, altered. Unless there was a coincidence for another reason to cause a time machine to be built to receive them they would have been stuck in the past and if an Infinity War happened, it would be under different circumstances.

Clear? :p
It’s abundantly clear that there is not a single timeline, so…

Edit: Your problem with the MCU time travel might be that you seem stuck at looking at MCU timelines like single lines that can only be traversed forwards and backwards. Given the right powers/equipment it is also possible to jump between lines.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Exactly. But you don’t have to stick to this new timeline when traveling back to the future.

Ah, that’s your problem. Listen to Banner, not Bannon.

You can’t change your timeline by going into the past is what he’s saying. Any changes you do go into a new timeline while the past of your original timeline is unchanged. Since the timeline you departed from hasn’t changed, returning to it unchanged using a decent time machine isn’t a problem.

Old Cap on the other hand is a harder sell…

Unnecessary as the stones were returned to the branches they were borrowed from immediately from the point of view of those branches. And we don’t get to see what happens in the future of those branches anyway as it is not relevant to the story being told.

It’s abundantly clear that there is not a single timeline, so…
The only thing I’ll concede is Banner. :)
  • Regarding time travel, there is either one or branching time lines to operate in.
  • For single timeline as in Infinity War- As I recall there is no mention of the time machine designed to cross over to different time lines. Therefore, you go to the past and steal an Infinity Stone, you immediately changed the future you came from. Most likely there would be no time machine to return to because Infinity War could not have happened, Thanos would not have the Infinitch Stone you took, and arguable the future is changed so, there would have been no reason to build a time machine.
  • Splitting time lines as in Loki- Go back in time, change the past splits you off into a branching time line*. Unless there is a mechanism that allows crossing from one time line to another, you can’t return to fix whatever that needs fixing. Now I will admit, in Loki it was ingenious to create the time authority to allow just this but it does not apply to the tech Banner used In End Game.
* Altough Loki did not go back in time, but stealing the Tesseract (when the past was returned to by Avengers) split him off for some vague reason, as in “it was not meant to be” ha ha. :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Huntn

Part of your problem with the time travel is you're thinking of it like a single linear representation where you slide back and forth on a line, i.e.

Past ---------------- Present [me]

*time travel occurs*

Past [me] ---------------- Present

When you use the model above, it looks like the former present is your future, it's not, it's your past, it immutable because it has already occured, when you back to to your present, it's in your past, because it's a single continuous curved line (so to speak).

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
That shot of Arishem the Judge made me tingle in my naughty bits ...
I'm still kind of 'meh' on the Eternals.

I realize it was out of Marvel's hands, but I would have wanted a FF movie long before they got to the Eternals. Eternals seems like where you get to, not help start the next MCU phase.

I'm also still petitioning for a Project Pegasus movie. My idea is make it Marvel's Die Hard movie, where bad guys invade the base for it's tech, and there's that one random guy they don't expect. My random guy pick? Doc Samson. "I'm just the psychiatrist on call here". As he punches someone thru a wall.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
The only thing I’ll concede is Banner. :)
It’s a start. You’ll get the rest in time.

• Regarding time travel, there is either one or branching time lines to operate in.
According to what they say and show, it is branching timelines.

• For single timeline as in Infinity War- As I recall there is no mention of the time machine designed to cross over to different time lines. Therefore, you go to the past and steal an Infinity Stone, you immediately changed the future you came from. Most likely there would be no time machine to return to because Infinity War could not have happened, Thanos would not have the Infinitch Stone you took, and arguable the future is changed so, there would have been no reason to build a time machine.
It is not a single timeline. They pretty explicitly mention that you don’t change the future you came from (since that’s your past).

• Splitting time lines as in Loki- Go back in time, change the past splits you off into a branching time line. Unless there is a mechanism that allows crossing from one time line to another, you can’t return to fix whatever that needs fixing. Now I will admit, in Loki it was ingenious to create the time authority to allow just this but it does not apply to the tech Banner used In End Game.
Why doesn’t it apply to the Endgame tech?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Huntn

Part of your problem with the time travel is you're thinking of it like a single linear representation where you slide back and forth on a line, i.e.

Past ---------------- Present [me]

*time travel occurs*

Past [me] ---------------- Present

When you use the model above, it looks like the former present is your future, it's not, it's your past, it immutable because it has already occured, when you back to to your present, it's in your past, because it's a single continuous curved line (so to speak).
I’ve already said this and Banner said it, go to the past, and the present you left becomes your past. Although it might look like your future, it’s your past, you can’t return to it. Btw, no anger here, it’s just a discussion. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm still kind of 'meh' on the Eternals.

I realize it was out of Marvel's hands, but I would have wanted a FF movie long before they got to the Eternals. Eternals seems like where you get to, not help start the next MCU phase.

I'm also still petitioning for a Project Pegasus movie. My idea is make it Marvel's Die Hard movie, where bad guys invade the base for it's tech, and there's that one random guy they don't expect. My random guy pick? Doc Samson. "I'm just the psychiatrist on call here". As he punches someone thru a wall.

It does seem a little "big", I mean, I get that they're trying to out Thanos the next phase, but a FF movie would've totally made better sense. Maybe they'll do a big setup, like this is how the universe actually works, there are entities much more powerful than anything you've encountered ... here's a peek, but we won't get back to this until the next Spiderman, Thor, GotG and hopefully a GOOD GODDAM FF MOVIE :ROFLMAO:

I kind of get the difficulty with the FF, especially in the context of the universe being Iron Man and Captain America, and villains like Hydra, but I think the time it right, we've seen there's shit way beyond what we thought, and even that in context of the "Eternals universe" seems small.

I need me some Doctor Doom, we've got Kang semi-established, Galactus? Annihilus?

Side note: is there any way to do stretching powers that won't look silly ... :p

Is some of the Project Pegasus storyline part of the new Sam Jackson / Skrulls / Secret Invasion series? I do like keeping some things dialed back, into more "terrestrial" type adventures (it's one reason I probably enjoyed Black Widow more than some other folks).

Top Bottom
1 2