Marvel Cinematic Universe

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
According to my comic book nerd friend, Bruce Banner is also Jewish in the comics but never in the movies. But that’s normal, right?
I honestly don't recall where I've ever seen that Bruce Banner was Jewish. I've don't recall anything about his faith being mentioned.

It would be normal though, to instead make it part of a character in the movies. In the comics details like religion are kind of side stepped unless it's an important part of the make up of a character. Such as Matt Murdock / Daredevil having his faith / Christianity brought more to the forefront in the last few years, which helps guide his decisions at times. Ethnicity is also something that isn't focused on, unless it's important part of the character. Pretty much nationality, race, & sex have been the biggest defining things about characters until the success of movies. For my comic book days it was Kitty Pride of the X - Men who made a big splash with being Jewish, so for myself she & Ben Grimm are the characters I think of as being Jewish.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Doctor Strange... Was NOT what I expected.

I did like it. I liked it even more that it did not do what I thought was the expected. It instead did a story that does not have ties to the traditional MCU, it's it's own thing. But... It does have ties, but it felt more like to the Disney+ show like What If & WandaVision.

If you know ANY of the spoilers you know what the big reveal is midway, that sort of blows things open. But... it doesn't. The only spoiler I will give, is that you finally hear "616" officially designated. The film is visually creative. I absolutely LOVED Strange at the final fight, and loved that it paid off from something earlier. There is definitely an action figure coming.

No spoilers.

I will say though, the mid end credit scene you have to stay for. Only for the disbelief factor. The end of credits scene is really only for Sam Raimi fans who will get the joke, otherwise if you YouTubed it you wouldn't care.

Fun stuff, will go into more detail after more people see it, or just do spoiler shielded posts. Can't wait to hear what @Huntn has to say about some of the stuff ( Marvel babble ) thrown about in this film. ;)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Doctor Strange... Was NOT what I expected.

I did like it. I liked it even more that it did not do what I thought was the expected. It instead did a story that does not have ties to the traditional MCU, it's it's own thing. But... It does have ties, but it felt more like to the Disney+ show like What If & WandaVision.

If you know ANY of the spoilers you know what the big reveal is midway, that sort of blows things open. But... it doesn't. The only spoiler I will give, is that you finally hear "616" officially designated. The film is visually creative. I absolutely LOVED Strange at the final fight, and loved that it paid off from something earlier. There is definitely an action figure coming.

No spoilers.

I will say though, the mid end credit scene you have to stay for. Only for the disbelief factor. The end of credits scene is really only for Sam Raimi fans who will get the joke, otherwise if you YouTubed it you wouldn't care.

Fun stuff, will go into more detail after more people see it, or just do spoiler shielded posts. Can't wait to hear what @Huntn has to say about some of the stuff ( Marvel babble ) thrown about in this film. ;)
I think we’ll see it next weekend - my wife and I are trying to avoid a full theater and COVID, and we figure that seeing it on a sunday morning the week after it came out should work. It’ll be our first time in a theater since November 2019, looks like.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I think we’ll see it next weekend - my wife and I are trying to avoid a full theater and COVID, and we figure that seeing it on a sunday morning the week after it came out should work. It’ll be our first time in a theater since November 2019, looks like.
I was kind of surprised how packed the theatre was at the matinee. I myself hadn't been to the theatre since Fast 9 released and promptly killed my desire to go to the movies again. But it was fairly packed today at the first showing, and it wasn't a true holiday weekend. Very surprised by how full the theatre & the mall were on a Friday Afternoon.

Two observations unrelated to the movie:

1. The theatre I went to has online ordering of your seats. What's different than what I remember the last time I went was that you can now skip going to a machine to get your ticket. Instead they email you a QR code which you show to the ticket person who scans it and tells you your theater & seat. Problem? For the first time I had someone seated in my assigned seat, with no ticket to physically show it falls on you to make a scene. The theatre did not think that through.

2. Comic book geeks who's Marvel knowledge is from the Disney MCU movie are the painful worst. Hearing some guy argue with his friend that it's Earth - 316 ( I'm guessing that's where Stone Cold Steve Austin is Sorcerer Supreme and hurls cans of domestic beer to defend the Earth ) and not Earth - 616. It wasn't the first time the guy admitted he misheard something in the film, but he wanted people to google this.

See? Geeks find listening to other geeks just as painful as non geeks do.

Also:

The new Top Gun looks great. They show a few minutes from the movie before Doctor Strange.

Seeing the trailer for the new Elvis Presley movie, seeing it sort of address racism, despite what's been documented of racism & Elvis Presley. Very weird.

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Saw this is trending on Twitter
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 11.27.04 AM.png

I am of course curious why Magneto would be trending for absolutely no reason. Only to discover it's because there is a certain group of individuals, you may have heard of them before, who are upset by the version of Magneto that currently exists.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1522947070151344128/
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1522789249925406722/
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1522807824732102657/

Seems the Reed Richards level of reach here is that since Magneto still exists, he CAN'T possibly be a Holocaust survivor, so that should be erased from the character.

Nah. We see your bullshit. On free comic book day no less. Go kick rocks with this whole not wanting to be upset by things, while yelling at others to 'F' their feelings.

I'm not going to lie, it also hurt seeing Magneto trending with Betsy DeVos. It's like villains were the biggest thing trending on Twitter for those few moments. As if the two were comparable. There's comic book evil, then there's the like of "for profit" DeVos.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw this is trending on Twitter
View attachment 13796

I am of course curious why Magneto would be trending for absolutely no reason. Only to discover it's because there is a certain group of individuals, you may have heard of them before, who are upset by the version of Magneto that currently exists.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1522947070151344128/
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1522789249925406722/
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1522807824732102657/

Seems the Reed Richards level of reach here is that since Magneto still exists, he CAN'T possibly be a Holocaust survivor, so that should be erased from the character.

Nah. We see your bullshit. On free comic book day no less. Go kick rocks with this whole not wanting to be upset by things, while yelling at others to 'F' their feelings.

I'm not going to lie, it also hurt seeing Magneto trending with Betsy DeVos. It's like villains were the biggest thing trending on Twitter for those few moments. As if the two were comparable. There's comic book evil, then there's the like of "for profit" DeVos.

“It’s perfectly possible for an old guy to control metallic objects with his mind, but asking us to believe he has a long lifespan is a bridge too far. Also, heil Hitler”

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I rented Venom (2018) yesterday after watching multiple clips on YouTube. The best parts were about Eddie Brock's interactions with the alien, most of which I'd already seen online. The good guy-bad guy story was less compelling.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Shrink and $100 worth would last for a long time ...

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Sooooooo, NOT quite the MCU, but it's got Spider-Man trending on Twitter so...

I know nothing about this fan made film, that was being made.

But evidently it's some kind of big deal to some. Supposedly the crowd that backed that film is considered somewhat obnoxious, but I guess people were excited for it.

Then I see it trending on Twitter, and...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1538798508001701888/

It's NOT good!

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1538829615522791425/

Racism is a bitch people! Especially when people find out you're racist.

"How to tank a project in 12 seconds."

I wonder what happens when Disney finds out?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sooooooo, NOT quite the MCU, but it's got Spider-Man trending on Twitter so...

I know nothing about this fan made film, that was being made.

But evidently it's some kind of big deal to some. Supposedly the crowd that backed that film is considered somewhat obnoxious, but I guess people were excited for it.

Then I see it trending on Twitter, and...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1538798508001701888/

It's NOT good!

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1538829615522791425/

Racism is a bitch people! Especially when people find out you're racist.

"How to tank a project in 12 seconds."

I wonder what happens when Disney finds out?

Also a bitch: copyright and trademark laws.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Also a bitch: copyright and trademark laws.
When it comes to "fan projects" many companies ( NOT Disney or Nintendo ) tend to give a pass, as long as no money is made by selling the product. Which is why they went with donations to pay for the product, then presumably put it online for free. That way they don't run afoul of infringements under an interpretation of "fair use". All of this negativity may draw Disney's eyeballs though. Which is why I posted the tweet about Jon Watts ( the Spider-Man director ) congratulating the director. Kind of an "ouch" moment, but there was no way for Jon Watts to know.

One of my favorite fan made projects that hadn't run into trouble.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
When it comes to "fan projects" many companies ( NOT Disney or Nintendo ) tend to give a pass, as long as no money is made by selling the product. Which is why they went with donations to pay for the product, then presumably put it online for free. That way they don't run afoul of infringements under an interpretation of "fair use". All of this negativity may draw Disney's eyeballs though. Which is why I posted the tweet about Jon Watts ( the Spider-Man director ) congratulating the director. Kind of an "ouch" moment, but there was no way for Jon Watts to know.

One of my favorite fan made projects that hadn't run into trouble.

Holy crap, they got Jane and Perlman to do this? If anything it would strengthen the franchise. :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Holy crap, they got Jane and Perlman to do this? If anything it would strengthen the franchise. :D

Oh yeah, this is f-ing awesome, but it's from 2012, so I think that shipped already sailed :D Jane and Perlman are almost always awesome :D

The Netflix Punisher series was pretty great if you haven't seen it (I guess it's on Disney+ now), the Punisher is played by Jon Bernthal.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I believe Jane did it as motivation for another Punisher feature.

He did it with a producer who does a number of these types of films.

There's also the Uncharted fan film that was done before a Uncharted film officially got underway.

Not a fan film, but to bring this back to MCU stuff, the test footage Blur Studios did for Deadpool to try and convince Fox.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe Jane did it as motivation for another Punisher feature.

He did it with a producer who does a number of these types of films.

There's also the Uncharted fan film that was done before a Uncharted film officially got underway.

Not a fan film, but to bring this back to MCU stuff, the test footage Blur Studios did for Deadpool to try and convince Fox.

Referencing your clips:
Dead Pool- I liked this, it was not a raunchy as the movies. :)

Uncharted- I like Nathan Fillion, and was excited about this, but looks like he did not make the cut, replaced by Tom Holland who I don’t care for who plays Peter Parker. :( I’ll comment on the punishment, punches to the jaw with brass knuckles, received by Fillion in this clip would have broken his jaw several times, and probably left any normal human being unable to talk, much less fight, and throwing yourself out a 2nd story window to belly flop on to hard payment should have broken something, but we don’t want to think about that do we, unless he is a super person. ;)

Power Rangers- seems to have potential.

I’m not a cinematographer or a director, but I focused on the dynamic shots, with the camera always sweeping while capturing the scene, and it does make the content seem more fluid/dynamic. I like it, but it is so normal now in films , you might not even notice.

Top Bottom
1 2