Marvel Cinematic Universe

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, this is f-ing awesome, but it's from 2012, so I think that shipped already sailed :D Jane and Perlman are almost always awesome :D

The Netflix Punisher series was pretty great if you haven't seen it (I guess it's on Disney+ now), the Punisher is played by Jon Bernthal.
Bernthal is a very different Punisher than Jane, but both are excellent in their own ways, but for gritty realism, Bernthal gets the edge, yet the 2004 Punish movie is one of my favorites, the back story as portrayed, and I love the time he spent in his apartment and the characters he interacted with besides going after the Saints. :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bernthal is a very different Punisher than Jane, but both are excellent in their own ways, but for gritty realism, Bernthal gets the edge, yet the 2004 Punish movie is one of my favorites, the back story as portrayed, and I love the time he spent in his apartment and the characters he interacted with besides going after the Saints. :)
Bernthal, being a small guy, seems a bit of a miscast but I’d agree he killed it in every other way. It’s a bit like Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher, although I never saw that film.

Jane is an interesting actor; loved him in The Expanse. I’m surprised he looked to go back to Punisher but not sure why I’m surprised.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bernthal, being a small guy, seems a bit of a miscast but I’d agree he killed it in every other way. It’s a bit like Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher, although I never saw that film.

Jane is an interesting actor; loved him in The Expanse. I’m surprised he looked to go back to Punisher but not sure why I’m surprised.
I would have never guessed he was a small guy, power of the camera. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Love and Thunder, it looks big and wonderful.
Theater time next week for me.

Made me watch at Youtube

More, a lot more, background including tie in with comic
but if want to know and some speculation… :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Jane is an interesting actor; loved him in The Expanse.

Like him quite a bit, he's in one of our favorite horror movies, The Mist (he's also terrific in the period horror/drama 1922).

I watched about 1/2 the first season of the Expanse and liked it, just one of those shows that got back burnered for no particular reason, I should get back it, the later seasons have outstanding reviews.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Love and Thunder, it looks big and wonderful.
Theater time next week for me.

We may try to seeing it at the theater next week, like some kind of mid-week, off-hour type showing. The place we go has advanced seating, so you can kind of get a sense of the crowd (plus, of course, choose your seat).

It's getting pretty mediocre reviews, I'm sure it'll still be a ton of fun, most the negativity seems to be, there's a little too much Waititi, he tends to get a little silly, and I guess he's pretty uncorked in this, which apparently also creates some weird tonal shifts. Like I saw one review that said Christian Bale appears to be in a totally different movie.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The only problem I had with it, is a problem of Marvel's own making. We are so used to Marvel's movies having an over arching plot line to look forward to, and there's doesn't seem to be one yet in the newest phase. I don't miss the "big plot line", but I think Disney might want to tamper down expectations.

Quoting this from the general movie thread, and yes, that seems to be the "issue" with the current MCU phase, and it might be the case with Thor 4 too.

Heck, Doctor Strange 2 was more or less a standalone movie, other than the connection to Wanda Vision (and some callbacks to What If). Moon Knight (D+ again), same thing, it sort of, kind of, introduced what could be some Phase 4 type ideas, but could also not.

Spider-Man, also awesome, multiverse fun, but DS2 seemed to sort of put a pin in that. To be honest, I really thought we'd see some Kang in DS2, like the multiverse is a neat concept, but there's needs to be a unifying force / villain, other than, "Wow, that place is filled with some weird shit ..."

And I guess maybe Wanda will come back? As something else? Is she still the big threat in Phase 4?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We may try to seeing it at the theater next week, like some kind of mid-week, off-hour type showing. The place we go has advanced seating, so you can kind of get a sense of the crowd (plus, of course, choose your seat).

It's getting pretty mediocre reviews, I'm sure it'll still be a ton of fun, most the negativity seems to be, there's a little too much Waititi, he tends to get a little silly, and I guess he's pretty uncorked in this, which apparently also creates some weird tonal shifts. Like I saw one review that said Christian Bale appears to be in a totally different movie.
Interesting. We’ll have to see. Thor took a distinct shift into humor when Waititi took the helm. I remember at first not sure that I liked Ragnarok, but quickly adjusted, and shifted into loving it. This humor is why I also fell in love with Guardians, but that is a different director who seems to be on the same page regarding humor and music in these stories.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We loved Ragnarok, it was such a huge change from the dreary The Dark World, it was a breath of fresh air. And Waititi definitely got the character from the comics right, the addition of The Hulk was perfect, it had amazing character beats, Kate was having a blast chewing the scenario (and so were we).

I guess the doubling down on what what good in Ragnarok has some people asking, "Is this too much of a good thing?"

RT has the Thor movies ranked 77%, 66%, 93% (Ragnarok), and now Love and Thunder at 69%.

Like I said, I'm sure we'll still have a bunch of fun with this, but I do get the criticisms.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Quoting this from the general movie thread, and yes, that seems to be the "issue" with the current MCU phase, and it might be the case with Thor 4 too.

Heck, Doctor Strange 2 was more or less a standalone movie, other than the connection to Wanda Vision (and some callbacks to What If). Moon Knight (D+ again), same thing, it sort of, kind of, introduced what could be some Phase 4 type ideas, but could also not.

Spider-Man, also awesome, multiverse fun, but DS2 seemed to sort of put a pin in that. To be honest, I really thought we'd see some Kang in DS2, like the multiverse is a neat concept, but there's needs to be a unifying force / villain, other than, "Wow, that place is filled with some weird shit ..."

And I guess maybe Wanda will come back? As something else? Is she still the big threat in Phase 4?
I expect her to return, but I hope not as a big bad.

She spent WandaVision as a threat, enslaving that town. At the end of that she has the Darkhold, which turns her into the threat again in DS2.

In both of those instances she sort of comes to her senses. If they do it again, it seems repetitive. Although they must be tempted to do that mutant storyline from the comics where she eliminates mutants or something.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I expect her to return, but I hope not as a big bad.

She spent WandaVision as a threat, enslaving that town. At the end of that she has the Darkhold, which turns her into the threat again in DS2.

In both of those instances she sort of comes to her senses. If they do it again, it seems repetitive. Although they must be tempted to do that mutant storyline from the comics where she eliminates mutants or something.

Hahaha, spoiler wrapped exchanges make me chuckle ... :D

Yeah, she want from hero, to villain, to resolving things in herself, then getting all funked up again with the Darkhold.

I only know the comic from online discussion, but it's a huge thing, that affected the whole MCU, crossed titles, etc., if they do that, and bring her back, I agree, her story is done, I don't need to see her reborn and evil out AGAIN.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Love and Thunder (2022) it looks big and wonderful. Famous last words. 😤🥲
If you look at the first 3 Thor movies, they have well defined and executed narratives. The third movie, is brilliant how humor is inserted, well timed, kept under control, and the story still holds its edge.

Love and Thunder movie starts strong, establishing the motivations of the villain, but the movie does a real disservice to Gods in general making most of them look like cartoonish jerks. :)

This story felt muddled, the Director must be running out of ideas. We get to see another Asgard Play (like Ragnarok), the Guardians of the Galaxy thrown in as filler to remind us a new Guardians movie is in the works. Sure use Jane Foster from the comics I approve, a great basis for a story, but it felt off, the execution and imagery were terrible, Zeus was god aweful, along with God Central, and we don’t need to see Thor‘s butt which I can forgive, but don’t turn Thor into a shallow wimpy characature of the character along with a shallow condensed portrayal of how Thor and Jane broke up originally. It would have been better to leave that to our imagination as they did when it was first mentioned that they had dumped one another In Ragnarok. Anyway, I’ll stop, disappointed. 👎

Movies are so expensive and the associated disappointment , I may just stick to streaming…

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
[...] we don’t need to see Thor‘s butt [...]

I beg to differ ... :p

Movies are so expensive and the associated disappointment , I may just stick to streaming…

Yeah, we're very selective about what we go out to see (especially in the last couple of years). We kind of make it an event, we go early, get an adult bev, huge popcorn and misc other goodies, plan on some kind of restaurant stop, but the movie itself has to be pretty good too. Our last two films - which was the last two we've been to the theaters to see since like 2019, were a blast, but we had a good sense of what to expect going in (it was the Bob's Burgers movie, on Hulu/HBO tomorrow BTW ... and the theatrical one night re-release of The Thing).

Thor? We could probably take or leave, we didn't see either the most recent Spider-Man or Dr. Strange at the theater, which made it tricky avoid spoilers).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I beg to differ ... :p

Yeah, we're very selective about what we go out to see (especially in the last couple of years). We kind of make it an event, we go early, get an adult bev, huge popcorn and misc other goodies, plan on some kind of restaurant stop, but the movie itself has to be pretty good too. Our last two films - which was the last two we've been to the theaters to see since like 2019, were a blast, but we had a good sense of what to expect going in (it was the Bob's Burgers movie, on Hulu/HBO tomorrow BTW ... and the theatrical one night re-release of The Thing).

Thor? We could probably take or leave, we didn't see either the most recent Spider-Man or Dr. Strange at the theater, which made it tricky avoid spoilers).
I saw a new Avatar trailer, I’m afraid that is theater, even iMax worthy. :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A shit ton of fun [Marvel] announcements / previews / trailers at the Disney D23 event:

Secret Invasion
Thunderbolts
Loki Season 2
Daredevil: Born Again
The Marvels
Captain America: New World Order
Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantamania
Avengers: Kang Dynasty

Read about it here (lots of videos at too):

Top Bottom
1 2