Meanwhile in Georgia, in the Ahmaud Arbery trial

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Well, since it seems Georgia is determined to compete with Wisconsin for attention getting trials, we'll discuss the Ahmaud Arbery trial in it's own thread.

We're going to go backwards for a moment, from today to earlier in the week, where we had a defense laywer say 'the quiet part out loud' shamelessly.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1459588079379955717/

Why is this a thing? The defense lawyer can speak for himself, while the judge explains nicely why it isn't an issue, unless one makes it so...

How did the defense lawyer's comments go over?

Quick clarification, the family is allowed 2 guests, they invited the Pastor.

🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Lest anybody forget, this is the same lawyer who excluded numerous black jurors, and came up with BS justifications for them. The judge said the exclusions were a problem, but then just allowed them anyway. It’s gonna be pretty hard for this lawyer to defend those exclusions in light of this statement.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The defense attorney, after he got a jury of 11 white people and only 1 black person:

Following jury selection, the defense attorney complained that older White men from the South "euphemistically known as 'Bubba' or 'Joe Six Pack,'" were not represented in the pool of potential jurors.

“White males born in the South, over 40 years of age, without four-year college degrees, sometimes euphemistically known as ‘Bubba’ or ‘Joe Six Pack,’ seem to be significantly underrepresented” in the jury pool. The defense team has “a problem with that,” he said.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
And the attorney is still complaining about black pastors being allowed in court.

"How many pastors does that Arbery family have? We had the Rev. Al Sharpton here earlier last week ... I don't know who Mr. Jackson, Rev. Jackson is pastoring here." Gough said.
"I guess the next question is which pastor is next? Is Raphael Warnock going to make, be the next person appearing this afternoon? We don't know," Gough said. "Your honor I would submit with all respect to the Rev. Jesse Jackson that his is not different than bringing in police officers or uniformed prison guards in a small town where a young Black man has been accused of assaulting a law enforcement officer or corrections officer."
Walmsley seemed bothered by Gough's repeated requests.
"Mr. Gough at this point, I'm not exactly sure what you're doing," Walmsley said. "I have already ruled on this court's position with regard to the gallery and with all candor, I was not even aware that Rev. Jackson was in the courtroom, until you started your motion."
The judge said the court's position had not changed, "it's almost as if you're just trying to continue this for purposes other than just bringing it to the court's attention."

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, since it seems Georgia is determined to compete with Wisconsin for attention getting trials, we'll discuss the Ahmaud Arbery trial in it's own thread.

We're going to go backwards for a moment, from today to earlier in the week, where we had a defense laywer say 'the quiet part out loud' shamelessly.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1459588079379955717/

Why is this a thing? The defense lawyer can speak for himself, while the judge explains nicely why it isn't an issue, unless one makes it so...

How did the defense lawyer's comments go over?

Quick clarification, the family is allowed 2 guests, they invited the Pastor.

🤦‍♀️
It’s excellent that there is a trial. Yet I feel like I’m watching the attempt to legalize race based killing in Georgia. Black citizens have no reason to feel harassed in Georgia when they are out for a jog and harassed for being in the wrong neighborhood by Whitey, vigilantes who escalate nothing (nothing as in no crime) but seeing a black man run by into murdering him cause he does not like being harassed and is being chased by white locals. And maybe the victim had a grounded premonition regarding his fate In the state of Georgia. :oops:

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Listening to the trial…
Defendant describes the victim as erratic, hmm, why would he be erratic? :unsure: Let’s see, your a black guy jogging, being chased by white guys in vehicles, and the guy with the shotgun feared for his life as the rogue black man ran in his direction.

What is fucking amazing, is the guy with the gun, is worried that the blackman had ill will, you know one of those “rabid blackmen“ who could do anything at any time, pull a gun or a knife surrounded by non-aggressive white men. So then when he pointed his shotgun at the victim, he angled away while running from him trying to escape
...then MSNBC cut away.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I predict Whitey will walk, justice in America. In some places you are 3/4 guilty by virtue of your skin color. :oops:

This is a helluva lot more cut and dry than the Rittenhouse trial. If the McMichael's walk, it'll be due to them having enough luck to land one of the most openly racist juries in history.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Please tell me not a single juror will buy this nonsense:

Travis McMichael, the man who shot Ahmaud Arbery to death after chasing him through a suburban Georgia neighborhood, testified in his own defense on Wednesday, arguing that pointing his gun at Mr. Arbery was an attempt to “de-escalate” the situation, a tactic he said he had learned during use-of-force training while serving in the U.S. Coast Guard.

“If you pull a weapon on someone, from what I’ve learned in my training, usually that tells people to back off,” Mr. McMichael said, describing it as “compelled compliance.”

Really? Where was Mr. Arbery supposed to back off to when he and his accomplices blocked him in with their vehicles? His only option left to defend himself once a gun was pulled was to try and get it away from the killers without getting shot. Sadly, he failed in that last-ditch effort to save his own life.

I hope the prosecution torches this guy in cross-examination.

Oh, and the racist lawyer objected to having black people in the courtroom once again before the jury entered the room. Seriously, this guy should be disbarred.

Why are there so many racist pieces of crap in America?!??!?

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Why are there so many racist pieces of crap in America?
They seemed to be somewhat less prevalent in the '70s. Then there was this oxymoron called the "moral majority" (not really an oxymoron, just two words that meant the opposite of reality) who pushed this asshole piece of shit ex-"actor" into the WhiteHouse and diligently dragged the nation backwards, into the early 19th century. There was this Willie Horton ad in the '88 election that was framed to further support the racists. Then, in '92, the US elected its first black President and they pushed even harder on the racism.

As far as I can tell, the period of the '70s, when we thought they had been brought to heel, was just a simmering for them that eventually boiled over when they had their chains cut off and assholery was encouraged. They laid low and then burst forth with a vengeance.

It looks like we have to seriously stop being nice. It is time to start saying "shut up, you moron" and walk away. We need to stop feeding them.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a helluva lot more cut and dry than the Rittenhouse trial. If the McMichael's walk, it'll be due to them having enough luck to land one of the most openly racist juries in history.
I don’t know, but I am a pessimist. Racism is thriving in the US. Protests where guns are allowed is a nightmare for all concerned. Rittenhouse was shooting at unarmed individuals who were not looting, then concerned that a white man was pointing his gun at them, chased after he shot someone.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
They seemed to be somewhat less prevalent in the '70s. Then there was this oxymoron called the "moral majority" (not really an oxymoron, just two words that meant the opposite of reality) who pushed this asshole piece of shit ex-"actor" into the WhiteHouse and diligently dragged the nation backwards, into the early 19th century. There was this Willie Horton ad in the '88 election that was framed to further support the racists. Then, in '92, the US elected its first black President and they pushed even harder on the racism.

As far as I can tell, the period of the '70s, when we thought they had been brought to heel, was just a simmering for them that eventually boiled over when they had their chains cut off and assholery was encouraged. They laid low and then burst forth with a vengeance.

It looks like we have to seriously stop being nice. It is time to start saying "shut up, you moron" and walk away. We need to stop feeding them.
They just hid in the woodwork until they perceived acceptance, emerging in support of the Breaking Bad Party and Head Shit in 2016. :mad:

Renzatic

Vaccinated
Reaction score
I don’t know, but I am a pessimist. Racism is thriving in the US. Protests where guns are allowed is a nightmare for all concerned. Rittenhouse was shooting at unarmed individuals who were not looting, then concerned that a white man was pointing his gun at them, chased after he shot someone.

The Rittenhouse case is confused by the fact that it looks like he was attacked by the initial victim. Everything that happened thereafter is a complete and total clusterfuck.

In a just world, the 2nd shooting would be manslaughter, and the 3rd aggravated assault, since he evidence is pointing more towards him acting out of fear rather than malice, but he still created the situation that lead to their deaths by fleeing the scene, making him seem guilty to any onlookers who, in turn, wanted to play hero, and stop an active shooter.

The way things are going, I'm expecting him to walk. Though if the McMichael's get anything less than 25 to life, I'll be greatly surprised.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Please tell me not a single juror will buy this nonsense:

Really? Where was Mr. Arbery supposed to back off to when he and his accomplices blocked him in with their vehicles? His only option left to defend himself once a gun was pulled was to try and get it away from the killers without getting shot. Sadly, he failed in that last-ditch effort to save his own life.

I hope the prosecution torches this guy in cross-examination.

Oh, and the racist lawyer objected to having black people in the courtroom once again before the jury entered the room. Seriously, this guy should be disbarred.

Why are there so many racist pieces of crap in America?!??!?
They are everywhere, have been here since the establishment of the Nation, receded into woodwork for a while but always here, emerging when opportunities present themselves, when like minded individuals get into power and shrug. Looking at the world, it could be argued this is a prevalent characteristic of humanity.

Granted I’m turning into an old fart, and maybe this is the kind of stuff that angers some old farts, but this is the kind of stuff that makes me not want to return to The Earth Simulator for the next life. I’m not even living in a third world shit hole and I’m disgusted with the collective state of humanity. We’ve got the intelligence, but are carrying so much negative baggage as a species as I am reminded of the Fermi Paradox. The question is, do we deserve to succeed, can we?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Rittenhouse case is confused by the fact that it looks like he was attacked by the initial victim. Everything that happened thereafter is a complete and total clusterfuck.

In a just world, the 2nd shooting would be manslaughter, and the 3rd aggravated assault, since he evidence is pointing more towards him acting out of fear rather than malice, but he still created the situation that lead to their deaths by fleeing the scene, making him seem guilty to any onlookers who, in turn, wanted to play hero, and stop an active shooter.

The way things are going, I'm expecting him to walk. Though if the McMichael's get anything less than 25 to life, I'll be greatly surprised.
If he wasn’t waving around an assault weapon and picking fights, none of it would have happened. The subsequent shootings were him trying to stop people from taking his gun. They were trying to take the gun to stop him from killing more people. He is culpable for provoking the situation, so claiming “self defense” is laughable.

Renzatic

Vaccinated
Reaction score
If he wasn’t waving around an assault weapon and picking fights, none of it would have happened.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to be a little badass, pointing his gun at everyone. By law, that's considered assault in and of itself.

Thing is, has any evidence of such been presented in court?

Renzatic

Vaccinated
Reaction score
The prosecution was going strongly with the “you cannot claim self defense if you provoke the situation to begin with.” I think that was a smart way to go.

The problem is, they have to prove he provoked the situation. We're all pretty sure he did, but without any evidence showing such, we can't convict him on it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The problem is, they have to prove he provoked the situation. We're all pretty sure he did, but without any evidence showing such, we can't convict him on it.
Actually, by taking a self-defense strategy, you concede that you shot the people. Now you have a burden of proof that it actually was self defense.

Top Bottom