Cancer Medicaid refusing to cover my mom who is in hospice care for terminal cancer

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
In my friends' mother's situation, she was impaired by dementia, cardiac issues, bad knees and a previous stroke, and the second stroke was a pretty major one. The dementia added another layer to the physical one, complicating the care somewhat. It could well have been had she been able to communicate and understand what was being communicated to her, follow instructions and such, and been able to take an active role in her treatment, that she might have benefited from medical treatment, PT and OT, etc., since many people, as has been noted, do bounce back surprisingly well from a stroke. It was a sad situation all the way around.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Well, my mother passed this last weekend, it's been tough on the family but she's in a better place now. I know many of you have been through this is as well, I'm sure it's never easy.

On the topic of Medicaid, this was the last month they were going supplement and had my mom made it to the first, we were prepared to pay out of pocket to keep her in the facility, it was also one of the cheaper ones we could find but they did provide quality care and we were grateful for that. However, Medicaid is just terrible to deal with, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially during trying times.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
So sorry to hear this news, Eric...... Losing a parent is definitely painful and difficult, and it sounds as though you already had been struggling with the various issues around her illness. Peace has come to your mother and hopefully peace will come to you and your family as well as time goes on....

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Well, my mother passed this last weekend, it's been tough on the family but she's in a better place now. I know many of you have been through this is as well, I'm sure it's never easy.

On the topic of Medicaid, this was the last month they were going supplement and had my mom made it to the first, we were prepared to pay out of pocket to keep her in the facility, it was also one of the cheaper ones we could find but they did provide quality care and we were grateful for that. However, Medicaid is just terrible to deal with, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially during trying times.
You have my complete sympathy. My grandma recently passed, and we spent the weekend at her services. My cousin and uncles were there at the end, and it was not good or pretty.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

I'm so sorry to hear this, and very sorry for your loss, and - having experienced this myself, you have my total sympathy.

No, it is never easy when your mother goes, even if it was inevitable and expected.

She was your first and primary carer, and this sort of loss goes straight to the heart of your sense of who you are, and losing a parent, especially a mother, is incredibly difficult and extraordinarily painful, and utterly transforms your understanding of what is meant by the word "family".

But, you can take solace from the fact that she was well cared for, and that you did the very best you could for her.

Look after yourself and be kind to yourself over the coming days, and take solace from the memories of the good times you had together.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

Condolences to you and yours Eric

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Eric... peace be with all of you. Hope you can hold onto good memories and let exasperation over Medicaid et al hassles go.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Sorry for your loss. We lost my mother earlier in the summer. Yes, it's hard, but they are in a better place like you said.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Sorry to hear, sounds like you've got great support all around you.

Without getting into here, it's a bit complicated, but it was more about relief than grief when my Mom passed, so I have kind of a different perspective on loss. I can definitely identify with what Liz said about the stress of the "administrative" bullshit finally being a thing of the past (well, there will be some involved in dealing with her property)

My Wife's Dad isn't doing too great, he keeps going in for treatments, and the duration between them is getting shorter and shorter, to the point where I'm not sure it's going to be an option in the very near future.

He's that last of our parents, and was probably in the worst shape, we actually chuckle about him outliving us :)

Top Bottom
1 2