Men take vehicle with ‘free car’ sign, later find body in trunk

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
well I doubt they would want it and you may never get the stink of death out it.
It is known.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Eh, it ain't nothing a few gallons of bleach, and a trunk relining won't fix.

I mean, comeon, it's a free car.

Folks in NYC with a near-junker (or a stolen joyride model with a rapidly expiring shelf life) used to leave them parked by an uptown subway station (7th or 8th Ave lines), doors unlocked, window open, key in the ignition. This was back in the 70s when the city was getting kinda crimey for awhile and the cops had better things to look into than an unattended vehicle up for grabs.

Usually such cars would be driven off within minutes, else the junky kind would be parted out right there in broad daylight with commuters ignoring the no-roof no-walls chop shop and just going on to catch their trains... totally unfazed by the sometimes noisy and competitive parts acquisition process taking place right on the busy avenue.​

Always entertaining, the subway and its near environs. Fun to see what people toted onto those train cars too: a couple goats, a bathtub, a shopping cart full of taffeta ballgowns that looked to be 19th century reproductions...

I suppose a car with the smell of death in it parked next to a train station might not be such a draw though, except for any foot patrol cops dumb enough not to ignore such a car too. Imagine the paperwork.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Wow. The Mafia's getting lazy.

It almost reads from the hyperventilating Mr. Peacock's quotes in there that it's possible the car might have "almost" landed in the junkyard but then --all things duly nosednoted and definitely unwanted-- somehow got ignored after all and was left along the road. Read over what he says a few times. Not saying he protests too much. Jes' sayin' it's maybe less of a hassle if he never even had a looksee at a car that was plausibly a junkyard candidate but was abandoned near his place of biz.

The manager of Starz Auto Sales, the junkyard Errington referred to, is named Dan Peacock. Peacock said he passed by the car a number of times Saturday. But by Sunday, it was gone.

“I never stopped and looked or anything, but I knew it was kind of unusual,” Peacock said. “I figured somebody was driving down here to sell it. We buy a bunch of cars. I figured somebody was driving down to sell it, and it quit on them or something. Just never dawned on me that something like that went on.”

“I wish I would have looked into it further,” Peacock said. “I might’ve been able to help them a little bit further with it, but I just never stopped and looked at it. If I had stopped and looked at it, I would’ve probably tripped. I would’ve probably flipped out if I had stopped and seen something like that.”

Hey if I ran a junkyard and passed by a car with nobody in it near my place a few times, I'd at least pull over and have a looksee at the thing. And who knows where the "Free Car" sign came from...

Top Bottom
1 2