Mesh router recommendations

U

User.45

Does anybody have a mesh router? Any advantage? Should I consider WIFI 6? What security features should I look for?!

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I have a Google Wifi 3-pack setup. I find it to be quite good. Fairly easy to set up, and if you position your various routers correctly, it can cover a massive amount of space.

The only complaint I have is that Google's wifi app is rather barebones on settings, and you have to use it exclusively. I'd prefer a more classical setup that lets you log into your routers via web browser.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I setup an Eero system for somebody - I felt it over-promised and under-delivered. I recently setup NetGear Orbi for another person and I thought it worked very well. You should get WiFi 6 for sure; do not get last-gen WiFi. I went to a seminar before the pandemic and the number of advances made in WiFi 6 was impressive.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Back when I was shopping, er, I guess a year ago, I was shopping the Orbi products from Netgear, almost pulled the trigger, then just wound up with a second Apple Airport Extreme (6th Gen) for downstairs as an AP. We have a cable modem and AE #1 (in router mode) and a Homerun HD, in the gear closet upstairs, with a couple of ethernet runs (ATV/AV is wired in the bedroom), including a drop down to the second floor to a switch on the AV rack (everything on the rack is ethernet), and the AE #2 connected to that switch (sitting up on the mantel), running in "bridge mode", so you can sort of roam around with coverage all over (including the deck and driveway and most of the yard). So the iOS devices are all on WiFi, so are the laptops, etc.

anyway ...

If I were buying today, I'd seriously look into the Nest product line from Google.

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party here but this is the recommendation I'd give you. Taotronics. That's right. This obscure, new-comer has the best mash router system I've used to date. Replaced the Deco 5 (all five of them) with just two Taotronics. Speed, coverage, reliability and the bandwidth are simply amazing. It has fantastic features, including AI based optimization of the network. It actually works. I am truly impressed.

U

User.45

I'm a little late to the party here but this is the recommendation I'd give you. Taotronics. That's right. This obscure, new-comer has the best mash router system I've used to date. Replaced the Deco 5 (all five of them) with just two Taotronics. Speed, coverage, reliability and the bandwidth are simply amazing. It has fantastic features, including AI based optimization of the network. It actually works. I am truly impressed.

It is my paranoia, but I'm also looking for something made in the USA. I'm only willing to provide a backdoor for 1 government, 2 is a little too much:/

U

User.45

Personally I would rather let the Chinese spy on me than the US, or Google. :D
My preferences are set by the level of accountability:

NSA > Google > CCP

I don't think there's much you can do about Google.

U

User.45

Google hangs around like crabs in a brothel. No matter how much you scratch and shave...
I believe that people should have the freedom to choose their preferred spying party.

Unfortunately I cannot help with any recommendations, because I've only been looking to dive into this solution for my wifi issues at home.

The one thing that makes me weary of google hardware is that they have the attention span of a squirrel when it comes to products, so I cannot rely on them for long term support and the ability to buy any more in a few years, if the need arises. I am currently looking at Netgear and stuff like the Orbi wifi 6 and the Nighthawk range.

Nighthawk looks pretty good:

Top Bottom
1 2