Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was curious, so I just sent my daughter a text then immediately edited it. On her (not iOS 16) device she sees the original message. On my (not iOS 16) iPhone, it doesn’t show any editing. On the iPad from which I sent and edited the message, it shows it was edited.

Not ideal - it lets you think you successfully edited the message even though you may not have.

When you unsend, though, it does give you a warning:

1654568080771.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I was curious, so I just sent my daughter a text then immediately edited it. On her (not iOS 16) device she sees the original message. On my (not iOS 16) iPhone, it doesn’t show any editing. On the iPad from which I sent and edited the message, it shows it was edited.

Not ideal - it lets you think you successfully edited the message even though you may not have.

When you unsend, though, it does give you a warning:

View attachment 14706
This makes sense as it appears they have no way to confirm on older versions. Microsoft Outlook has always had a similar message when you attempt to recall a message. My guess is they're implementing a hidden read receipt of some kind on newer iOS versions.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This makes sense as it appears they have no way to confirm on older versions. Microsoft Outlook has always had a similar message when you attempt to recall a message. My guess is they're implementing a hidden read receipt of some kind on newer iOS versions.

I wonder if it would be possible for them to treat “edit” as a second message to non-iOS 16 recipients, prefaced with “Edited:”

Top Bottom
1 2