Michigan school shooting

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think every mass shooting deserves its own thread, but I think this one is interesting on multiple levels from the parents being jaw-droppingly irresponsible to the red flags where largely no real preventative action was taken on the day of the shooting beyond suggestions.

At the time of this posting the parents appear to be on the run. Unlike Rittenhouse, I can't imagine a sympathetic group of people who would protect the parents of a school shooter. But then again, in Trump's America there might be.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I want to say that the failure of Congress to pass any laws restricting guns after Sandy Hook tells us all that American politicians care more about guns than children. We can only hope that people get sick of guns and stop buying them en masse.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don't think every mass shooting deserves its own thread, but I think this one is interesting on multiple levels from the parents being jaw-droppingly irresponsible to the red flags where largely no real preventative action was taken on the day of the shooting beyond suggestions.

At the time of this posting the parents appear to be on the run. Unlike Rittenhouse, I can't imagine a sympathetic group of people who would protect the parents of a school shooter. But then again, in Trump's America there might be.
White people being persecuted over a gun? I have no doubt there's a huge swath of those on the right more than willing to protect them. I think you give people too much credit here.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I want to say that the failure of Congress to pass any laws restricting guns after Sandy Hook tells us all that American politicians care more about guns than children. We can only hope that people get sick of guns and stop buying them en masse.

I took some comfort that Fox made this their top story and didn't candy coat it, but due to the actions of the parents before, during, and after they are probably prepping for a "these people make responsible gun owners look bad" angle. Still, it's something other than "let's not jump to conclusions" or "now is not the time to talk about gun control".

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
White people being persecuted over a gun? I have no doubt there's a huge swath of those on the right more than willing to protect them. I think you give people too much credit here.

But I think it's kind of hard to get past the actual shooting on this one. There's no defense or group of people who are pro school shootings, or at least not people who are going to go on public record about it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I took some comfort that Fox made this their top story and didn't candy coat it, but due to the actions of the parents before, during, and after they are probably prepping for a "these people make responsible gun owners look bad" angle. Still, it's something other than "let's not jump to conclusions" or "now is not the time to talk about gun control".
Fox will blame it on bad parenting and the school counselors missing the warning signs. Anything except the gun itself, because guns are not the problem, right?

Why do we not have strict rules on locking up weapons if there is a kid in the household? That in NO WAY infringes the right to bear arms. We have to wear seatbelts in our own cars, but some people get all up in arms about having to lock up a dangerous weapon so their kids don’t shoot each other or their classmates with them.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Kids here who get really pissed odd with school usually write something nasty about it on social media or graffiti a wall. I am so glad guns aren’t easy to get hold of here and it’s probably one of the reasons we’ve only had one school shooting and that was 25 years ago. Prescription drugs like antidepressants aren’t pushed onto kids either in the same way it seems to happen in the states. These shootings happen far too often and it amazes me how quickly they are swept under the carpet due to the way gun fanatics are terrified they’ll have to give up their toys.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Fox will blame it on bad parenting and the school counselors missing the warning signs. Anything except the gun itself, because guns are not the problem, right?

Why do we not have strict rules on locking up weapons if there is a kid in the household? That in NO WAY infringes the right to bear arms. We have to wear seatbelts in our own cars, but some people get all up in arms about having to lock up a dangerous weapon so their kids don’t shoot each other or their classmates with them.

Mental health is the problem. People storming the capitol need mental help. People harassing the poll workers in GA are brainwashed and need mental help.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Why do we not have strict rules on locking up weapons if there is a kid in the household?

Not securing guns in a house with kids/teens IS bad parenting.

Was glad to see them charged.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Kids here who get really pissed odd with school usually write something nasty about it on social media or graffiti a wall. I am so glad guns aren’t easy to get hold of here and it’s probably one of the reasons we’ve only had one school shooting and that was 25 years ago. Prescription drugs like antidepressants aren’t pushed onto kids either in the same way it seems to happen in the states. These shootings happen far too often and it amazes me how quickly they are swept under the carpet due to the way gun fanatics are terrified they’ll have to give up their toys.

I find it ironic that the same people who are most vocal about our freedom and how great the country is (was?) are generally the same people who think their life is in mortal danger at all times and therefor have to arm up. If you really believe you are that threatened then you aren’t free and that’s not worth celebrating. Praising paranoia would be more appropriate.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Mental health is the problem. People storming the capitol need mental help. People harassing the poll workers in GA are brainwashed and need mental help.
This is the go-to distraction whenever the gun advocates try to defend their gun obsession after children are murdered. Funny thing - mentally ill people couldn’t mass-murder if they didn’t have access to assault weapons. If they had a breakdown, they might cause some minor injuries. AND the gun rights folks opposed legislation to make mental health coverage mandatory in health plans. They also opposed background checks that would check for dangerous mental illness. Get real. The NRA doesn’t give a 💩 about mental health; it’s just the “look over there!” gambit whenever we senselessly lose children to GUN violence.

Another data point: Suicidal people are FAR more likely to die if they have a gun. Guns ARE the problem. A large majority of Americans agree, but majority rule is no longer how our politics work. It’s all about Republican gerrymanders and then only the most extreme Republicans get into office because their primary voters (a tiny subset of all voters) are extremely active and dictate who the candidates are. Moderate Republicans have given up completely. Look how many “retire” each year.

CaseFatality7.jpg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
White freakin' privilege. If they were non-white, they would not have been brought in breathing.

Sure they would. And released on bail......

Granted he didn't kill anyone, but still.

But I forgive you for not knowing anything about it:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Sure they would. And released on bail......

Granted he didn't kill anyone, but still.

But I forgive you for not knowing anything about it:

There are mass shootings almost every day in America because of our crappy gun laws. Good luck keeping track of them all.

It is lying and race-baiting by that Newsweek author to claim this was ignored by the media because the shooter was black. Here are some “MSM” outlets that definitely covered the story.

Funny how the far-right has seized on this incident specifically.

Also note - this person was in a fight and was shooting at the person fighting him. This is terrible indeed, especially since others were injured as a result, and the shooter needs to be held responsible. However, it’s quite different from the mass-shootings where somebody loads up on ammo and is trying to kill as many people as possible. Everybody sees the difference between the types of incidents... but sure, let’s go with the race-baiting angle instead.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
As someone who works in psychiatric medicine, I am ASTONISHED at the schools reaction, particularly into the shooter’s graphic drawing. It’s crazy they did not search his belongings to see if there were other similar red flags (or perhaps the pistol that was in his backpack). The fact they allowed him back to class and told the parents they had 48hrs to get counseling is beyond incompetent.

What should have happened is they should have called the police and EMS to bring him to the hospital, who could have legally held him for a minimum of 72hrs for a psych evaluation. His items should have been seized and searched. Police could have also had the time to investigate his social media which would have thrown up red flags even if the gun was not brought to school. I don’t expect schools to know how to handle all mental health issues, but they should identify warning signs and call in help.

His parents are definitely complicit in the crime to a degree. But I definitely think the school needs to be investigated and there should potentially be consequences. With all the school shootings it’s incredibly how poor they handled the situation. This cannot objectively be seen as a hindsight is 20/20 issue.

The school apparently has declined an independent investigation from the DA, instead hiring a private company. This apparently may allow them to keep the finding of the investigation confidential, which defeats the purpose so far as I’m concerned.

The gun ownership debate can be had and regardless of your stance, it’s unlikely going to be resolved anytime soon. What can be done is address mental health issues and how schools monitor and address such issues.

Anyways, my heart goes out to all of those affected by this tragedy- including the friends/family of those lost, the students, school staff, and the first responders whose lives are permanently damaged by this traumatic event that should have never been able to take place.

Top Bottom
1 2