Microsoft Activision deal in jeopardy

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Between this and the UK trying to block the merger with Activision over cloud gaming, I'm thinking that we're seeing a repeat of Nvidia's failed acquisition of Arm, just with a slower burn. I'd imagine that it'll probably end up with Microsoft calling it quits before any of this gets settled in court. I think that, generally speaking, world governments are in no mood to tolerate large tech mergers.

We often hear calls for Apple to purchase a big company, the latest one being Disney, but it never happens. Not only is Apple culturally averse to big acquisitions, but the current political climate is not one that is amenable to such endeavors.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Between this and the UK trying to block the merger with Activision over cloud gaming, I'm thinking that we're seeing a repeat of Nvidia's failed acquisition of Arm, just with a slower burn. I'd imagine that it'll probably end up with Microsoft calling it quits before any of this gets settled in court. I think that, generally speaking, world governments are in no mood to tolerate large tech mergers.

We often hear calls for Apple to purchase a big company, the latest one being Disney, but it never happens. Not only is Apple culturally averse to big acquisitions, but the current political climate is not one that is amenable to such endeavors.
Someone said Apple should buy Disney? Seriously?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone said Apple should buy Disney? Seriously?

LOL. Constantly. At least once a year Disney stock gets a bump based on some analyst claiming Apple will buy them.

There’s actually some decent synergy there, in terms of philosophy, product mix, target audience, etc. But Apple sees themselves becoming Disney, eventually, on their own.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
LOL. Constantly. At least once a year Disney stock gets a bump based on some analyst claiming Apple will buy them.

There’s actually some decent synergy there, in terms of philosophy, product mix, target audience, etc. But Apple sees themselves becoming Disney, eventually, on their own.
Ah I can see it now: Tomorrowland filled with Apple products, the Disney theme park “cast” upgraded to “geniuses”, etc … 🙃

But yeah that can go on a list of things that won’t happen. As @Colstan said, Apple rarely makes big purchases and that would be a massive one. And especially right now regulators would (rightly) go apoplectic. Also mergers of that scale even when there are decent synergies rarely go as well as advertised by those pitching them. They’re just usually not a good idea.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
A federal judge has ruled against the FTC in its lawsuit to prevent Microsoft's attempt to acquire Activision Blizzard.

Notably, the UK has now paused its own actions to prevent the merger.

In the UK, the next steps are likely to be a list of conditions that Microsoft must meet to fulfill antitrust obligations. The UK cited cloud gaming dominance as a potential problem with the deal — but it's not at all clear if Microsoft is in fact dominant in that relatively minor sector of gaming.

With the EU already approving the merger, it's now become likely that Microsoft will be successful in its acquisition of Activision Blizzard, with a few breadcrumbs tossed in to appease regulators in the UK.

It's entirely possible that Microsoft's 10-year agreement with Nvidia to bring Microsoft games to GeForce NOW is an attempt to address concerns over cloud gaming, the crux of the UK's argument against the merger.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
So apparently the original deal was indeed fully blocked by the CMA in the UK and now MS has offered a full restructuring of the planned merger by selling the online services to Ubisoft:

Whatever changes they made, the UK is unblocking the deal. Looks like it is going through. Probably a mistake on MS's end. These large mergers/acquisitions rarely go well, but we'll see.

Top Bottom
1 2