RIP Mikhail Gorbachev

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The death of Mikhail Gorbachev (aged 91) - a genuine giant (in terms of political and historical significance), an intelligent, thoughtful man, who was personable, attractive, courageous, ethical, decent and principled (and a truly devoted husband and father, that is, a "family man" whom this hackneyed term described accurately) - a political leader who was a hero of mine, a man whose political perspective and vision expressed tolerance, decency and generosity - was announced this evening.

RIP Mr Gorbachev: You left the world - the whole world, and not just your personal and professional corner of it - a considerably better place than you found it, which is something that not many of us can claim. A legend.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Whether one agreed with Reagan's policies or not, he and Gorbachev made history by ending the cold war. It was a very different time and they both will be remembered as leaders who showed the world how to compromise for the better.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Whether one agreed with Reagan's policies or not, he and Gorbachev made history by ending the cold war. It was a very different time and they both will be remembered as leaders who showed the world how to compromise for the better.

The US was holding some interesting leverage at the time that helped foster the end. The Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), also affectionately known as Star Wars, was in motion and the Soviets believed that would eventually be a credible destabilizing force against the doctrine of mutually assured destruction (MAD) that kept both countries from nuclear annihilation. As it turns out, the technology to pull that off was likely at least a decade or two away. But in the end both parties came together, peace broke out in Europe with the dissolution of the Soviet Union, and the SDI was eventually terminated in the early 1990s.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I feel like Reagan died like a 100 years ago which makes it seem bizarre that Gorbachev just died. He certainly didn't look the younger of the 2.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Several decades ago, I was given a thing from Spy magazine with instructions that said to get the other side wet and apply to my (extensive) forehead to obtain a (temporary) Gorby birthmark. Never actually used it, but carried it around in my wallet for a long time in hopes that the perfect situation would present itself.

Years ago when he came to power I remember a pundit suggesting his birthmark was actually a map of Czechoslovakia. And thus always on his mind. :)

Top Bottom
1 2