Military contractors: The lobbyists of ex-military?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Unlike some politicians who I believe only pursue a government position so they can later get a well-paid lobbyist job, I don’t think anybody really joins the military so they can later become a military contractor, but that seems to be a parallel career path. Either you can complain about how poorly you are taken care of after your service has ended or you can go be a contractor and live large.

I heard a brief news story about how our exit from Afghanistan is going to be a major hit to military contractors. Also mentioned was how military contracts are full of fraud and corruption, and ex-military. In some cases the military claims it has no clue how much something should cost which becomes a “Thank you for your service. Here’s a blank check.” situation.

When people complain about our military budget very little, if any, attention is given to this massive pit of fraud and corruption. Everybody is just fighting about the price of a new fighter jet we may or may not need, or why we even need to be to in a region. Meanwhile, these contractors are free to just go about business as usual siphoning off our tax dollars for dubious reasons.

On one level I’d argue military contractors are worse than lobbyists. Lobbyists get paid by the industries they’re lobbying for. Contractors are stealing from every taxpayer.

But hey, there’s a service that’s abortion adjacent! Let’s put all our focus and outrage on the minuscule amount of dollars that go to them that doesn’t actually pay for any abortions.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Don’t forget there aren’t just military positions involved with those contractors. Some of the best paying driving jobs as well as even cafeteria help I have ever seen were with military contractors. They have a whole range of services they charge very well for.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Don’t forget there aren’t just military positions involved with those contractors. Some of the best paying driving jobs as well as even cafeteria help I have ever seen were with military contractors. They have a whole range of services they charge very well for.

That is important to note. I mostly meant military contractor in the context of who is paying the bill. Perhaps government contractor would be the more accurate term? But they also wouldn't be doing what they are doing if it wasn't for our military action.

Top Bottom
1 2