Minimum wage shouldn't have been attached to Biden's stimulus bill

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's kind of a cocky too soon move that's going to cause issues. And despite being progressive, I don't really agree with it. There's a huge difference between minimum wage in NYC and making minimum wage in Buffalo Gulch, WY. If anything it should have been a percentage increase, not everybody makes $15 an hour minimum, period.

But also I think the right needs to come to grips with the fact that there are a lot of adults with responsibilities working minimum wage jobs. I think they're thinking 2 decades+ ago when it was mostly older high school kids and people in college with part time jobs. I had a paper route when I was a kid and even before the print newspaper business took a definitive dive I already saw adults doing it, tossing papers from their car. I don't hit fast food much, but I couldn't tell you the last time I saw an employee there who looked like they were in their late teens or early 20's.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It's kind of a cocky too soon move that's going to cause issues. And despite being progressive, I don't really agree with it. There's a huge difference between minimum wage in NYC and making minimum wage in Buffalo Gulch, WY. If anything it should have been a percentage increase, not everybody makes $15 an hour minimum, period.

But also I think the right needs to come to grips with the fact that there are a lot of adults with responsibilities working minimum wage jobs. I think they're thinking 2 decades+ ago when it was mostly older high school kids and people in college with part time jobs. I had a paper route when I was a kid and even before the print newspaper business took a definitive dive I already saw adults doing it, tossing papers from their car. I don't hit fast food much, but I couldn't tell you the last time I saw an employee there who looked like they were in their late teens or early 20's.
I thought FEDERAL minimum wage was an actual dollar figure for the whole country. I can see some companies trying to claim if it was a percentage that since they are based in one state, that's THEIR wage, and it's a cheap one.

I've been to a few Mcdonald's / Wendy's restaurants where if there is a large PoC* communities, it will have a fair share of those adults ( often women ) working there. I imagine the work force is mostly decided by the community around it.

* I clumsily worded it that way because I have often lived in areas that are borders between two communities. Meaning a large Hispanic presence next to an African American one, or Asian. I was trying to do a catch all for the African American / Hispanic workers that were often in fast food. I rarely saw anyone Asian in those businesses.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
IMO everyone out there working in tight quarters, unable to socially distance themselves and unable to work from home deserves at least that. Not only that, they should be getting real bonuses also, aside from the payments being proposed. They're right up there with doctors and firefighters on the frontlines so they should also be getting vaccines as soon as the elderly are completed. We can all afford another .80 for a Big Mac, pay these people what they're worth.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
IMO everyone out there working in tight quarters, unable to socially distance themselves and unable to work from home deserves at least that. Not only that, they should be getting real bonuses also, aside from the payments being proposed. They're right up there with doctors and firefighters on the frontlines so they should also be getting vaccines as soon as the elderly are completed. We can all afford another .80 for a Big Mac, pay these people what they're worth.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1350977982513479680/
For those who like to hang on the idea that stuff will cost more for THEM, if the people that work at those places make a living wage.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Their executives are making a killing while convincing the public their workers aren't worth $15 per hour, the Republican way.

while I agree minimum wage should go up, not every minimum wage paying job is McDonalds, like Jim’s Shovel and Rake Barn (or whatever) in small town America. That’s why I think it should either be a percentage increase or a state decision.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I do agree it’s a needed move, and I clearly see why they’d push for it now in a must-pass piece of legislation early in Biden’s term.

Never underestimate the power of Republican intransigence, however. They know, I’m sure, that if they filibuster it, Democrats will back down and pass the Covid relief bill without it.

T minus 1.

U

User.45

Love them or hate them, many do have issues, but they also have Unions also have uses.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1351051214847434752/
I have a very ambivalent relationship with nursing unions. On one hand these nurses are much less exploited and much better compensated. With a core group of conscientious nurses it works great. But if you accumulate lazy nurses, what happens is all the shitty work gets pushed on residents because the hospital doesn't have to compensate their resident work force for added responsibilities (yeah that's right). Also, guess who ends up picking up the slack if the nurses go on strike? The residents.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
while I agree minimum wage should go up, not every minimum wage paying job is McDonalds, like Jim’s Shovel and Rake Barn (or whatever) in small town America. That’s why I think it should either be a percentage increase or a state decision.
We already have a federal minimum wage... and have since 1938. I don’t think now is the time to repeal it. It hasn’t been increased in over a decade. The cost of living has gone up plenty in the past decade though. If a sudden doubling of it would be too drastic, do what many cities and states did: raise it over a period of time.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
We already have a federal minimum wage... and have since 1938. I don’t think now is the time to repeal it. It hasn’t been increased in over a decade. The cost of living has gone up plenty in the past decade though. If a sudden doubling of it would be too drastic, do what many cities and states did: raise it over a period of time.

I'm not saying we should repeal it. I'm just wondering where the $15 came from. In some large cities that is what the minimum has been raised to recently. It doesn't make sense that, that same amount should apply in small town America. The cost of living is a lot lower.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Now here are some geniuses who definitely shouldn’t be making $15/hr....

I pulled some of the choicest posts.

33CD7878-5828-41B7-A2E1-0F840729F3BA.jpeg

ED59C4C9-87C8-415A-B4BF-1130ADBD15C1.jpeg

A18A463B-31E3-4DF1-A967-FEFD4CDCEED2.jpeg

09DE54F4-97E8-4BAC-AC91-9DF57847A3C0.jpeg

Like I said. Geniuses.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now here are some geniuses who definitely shouldn’t be making $15/hr....

I pulled some of the choicest posts.

View attachment 3842

View attachment 3843

View attachment 3844

Like I said. Geniuses.

On the last one he should have done the math for them and I'm too lazy to do it myself.

I support a "living wage". More than doubling the federal minimum wage across the entire country is appropriate in some areas and overcompensation in others.

I still don't understand why % isn't key to the federal minimum wage.

I am glad though that the whole "when I was a kid" argument is getting quite publicly beaten down finally.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
On the last one he should have done the math for them and I'm too lazy to do it myself.

I support a "living wage". More than doubling the federal minimum wage across the entire country is appropriate in some areas and overcompensation in others.

I still don't understand why % isn't key to the federal minimum wage.

I am glad though that the whole "when I was a kid" argument is getting quite publicly beaten down finally.
I’d love to hear where it is that people want to earn less than $15 an hour for their work.

Top Bottom
1 2