Mississippi’s new, post-Confederate flag will be...

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
...one of these two. 😁

The shield...or the magnolia...

623716E0-0223-46CD-A81D-4D5E3E3A197A.jpeg

What say ye?

The story behind the final designs

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is that a poppy in the second choice? I need to know the opioid addiction rate there before I can cast my vote.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Yeah, the magnolia flag actually incorporates something the state is known for. (I suppose a flag with a noose is out of the question.) The flag with the waves and pinstripes...frankly that wouldn’t have made it to the finals if I were choosing.

I’d ditch “In God we trust” on both of them.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Is the flag Government sanctioned? If so it should fall under the separation of church and state but if they're led by Conservatives that won't mean a thing.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's my complaint with all of them. Ruin a perfectly good design with something divisive.

Yeah, nuke that, use the phrase from the state coat of arms: Virtute et Armis

I mean, "By valor and arms" even has a veiled pro-gun sentiment, they'll love it :D

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Is the flag Government sanctioned? If so it should fall under the separation of church and state but if they're led by Conservatives that won't mean a thing.

The thing is, "trust in God" --or more commonly, "in God we trust"-- is not in itself considered evidence of establishment of a religion. I always just mentally add the old punchline "... all others pay cash" and be done with worrying over whether some guy clerking in the convenience store assumes I'm religious when I hand him a dime.

If Trump is re-elected though I might start inspecting dimes to make sure they don't start saying that we trust in Trump.

It is kinda sneaky if Mississippi might be thinking about telling people to trust in God on its new flag, instead of just assuming we already do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2