Mitch McConnell ‘refusing to debate his election rival if there is a female moderator’

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Republicans' kryptonite, a woman in charge...

From the Independent
It all started when Mr McConnell sent a press release from "Team Mitch" accusing his opponent of potentially backing out of a debate in October. But according to subsequent claims from Ms McGrath's campaign, the real issue is the senator’s refusal to participate in an event with a female moderator.
In a press release issued Monday, Ms McGrath's campaign alleged that "Amy is ready and willing to debate Mitch, but Mitch is afraid to take the stage unless he dictates every detail."

The release continues, "Mitch McConnell has not participated in a debate in Kentucky where the candidates took questions from a female moderator in nearly 25 years, and he continues to resist allowing women to host debates."

Attachments

• mitch.jpeg
    mitch.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 443

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
How are people going to get out of bed, take a shower, brush their teeth, get dressed, get in their car, and drive to a polling place to vote for MITCH MCCONNELL???????? What is wrong with their brains? This is what they want representing them in Congress?

Yeah because some of them value the grubby clout McConnell has, thanks to his long tenure in the Senate and his majority leader position. He has the power to bring home the bacon to Kentucky.

Never mind that ol' Mitch may not spend too much time inspecting the carcasses he drags in from quiet talks up in DC. One hand washes the other and sometimes there's even a tip left on the counter. (The cited piece is from April in 2019.)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
By the bleeding nails of Christ - or, rather, by the twenty four balls of the twelve apostles (an expression I learned from a classmate, and yes, a friend - who was then a son of an ambassador - an ambassador who had himself heard this expression from his ambassador, before being awed into stunned silence as a young third secretary - a classmate with whom I had studied law for a few years before switching to history) - yeah, well, metaphors suddenly begin to fail me when faced with the monstrous challenge of actually beginning to attempt to describe all of this.....

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
this is one of the most bizarre facts i ever heard about any politician.
i wonder how well this is/was known among the voters who have kept him in office.
this is / can easily become used in a brilliant strategic counter-position by McGrath no matter how well it was or not known before.

and still he persists.

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
THey hate strong and powerful women. Ask the squad, Hillary.
That's the solution right there. Ask either or both, an African American woman or Muslim woman to mod. Watching Muscovitch squirm would be so worth it. Especially seeing a Muslim woman questioning Moscow on country, faith, racism, and national security.

28c4a64b4ad091cf389ff5c8b31e276a.gif

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
on the other hand, if the female moderator were to be white, but asking the same questions as a woman of colour might, this would make him squirm even more, as we could then show that non-racist, non-sexist viewpoints are the NORM for America no matter what ethnicity/national origin/religion a person is.

Moscow Mitch is most affraid of white suburban woman thinking that, OMG racism doesnt have a place in Kentucky.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Just as I can't think of one possible reason for Moscow Mitch having this "rule", I can't think of one possible reason for women to vote for him.

Or any woman-respecting man, for that matter.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
This shit plays well in Kentucky, I guess?

I guess we'll find out whether it matters more than the idea of McConnell being able to get blood out of a stone broke anti-taxation anti-revenue-distributing government, and bringing it home in the name of regional free enterprise incentives or whatever else he likes to call the payload when he extracts one for Kentucky from somewhere in DC in order to save his Senate seat for another six years.

Meanwhile it still does boggle the mind that the USA harbors a "majority leader" who puts the kibosh on debating an opponent if the moderator of such an event will be a female.

I mean this goes far beyond something like the refusal of Mike Pence to meet alone with a woman not his wife. That at least can be seen as a desire to maintain propriety in the workforce and outside office hours. None of our biz what he thinks might otherwise befall him and land him in trouble with Mother.

Mitch not being willing to entertain the idea of a female debate moderator is a whole other thing.

And it's just possible that some of it stems from the fact that his first wife and mother of his children, Sherrill Redmon, became a feminist scholar of American history: she is a past director at Smith College of the Sophia Smith Collection of the Women's History Archives, which she focused on expanding to make it more racially and culturally diverse. She also collaborated on the oral history project Voices of Feminism with the journalist and activist Gloria Steinem.

mic drop baby.jpg

How it all plays in Kentucky remains to be seen. Or, heard, whether Mitch is into listening or not.

Top Bottom
1 2