MLB is moving the 2021 All-Star game out of Georgia over opposition to new voting law

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Poe's Law: without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the views being parodied.

2021-04-02_18-28.png

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Oh, the fascist front is having a positive conniption fit.

From the NBC story:

Gov. Kemp defended the state's voter restrictions on Friday and accused MLB of wilting to "fear" and "political opportunism."
"Georgians — and all Americans — should fully understand what the MLB's knee-jerk decision means: cancel culture and woke political activists are coming for every aspect of your life, sports included," he said in a statement. "If the left doesn’t agree with you, facts and the truth do not matter."
U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, a Republican from neighboring Florida, blasted MLB for caving to public pressure.

"Why are we still listening to these woke corporate hypocrites on taxes regulations & anti-trust?" Rubio tweeted.

Poor misunderstood babies! 😄

U

User.45

Some commented on reddit, that the issue with punishing georgia is that essentially we are punishing ATL, the main source of innovation/economic engine of the state which is also the most liberal place there. Meaning, a boycott may serve the GQP by halting/reversing the blue migration into the state through ATL and hurting liberal leaning business more. I do think they did the math and I also think they felt the potential costs of an economic backlash were acceptable.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don’t much care for baseball, but well done MLB!

Is this another case of corporate communism? Or just cancel culture? Up next: MLB is going to take your guns away!

Just remember, you're bringing a gun to a bat fight. Just make sure you don't end up in close quarters.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Some commented on reddit, that the issue with punishing georgia is that essentially we are punishing ATL, the main source of innovation/economic engine of the state which is also the most liberal place there. Meaning, a boycott may serve the GQP by halting/reversing the blue migration into the state through ATL and hurting liberal leaning business more. I do think they did the math and I also think they felt the potential costs of an economic backlash were acceptable.
I felt the same about Charlotte in the face of the pulling of college football championship games and the NBA All-Star game because of the GOP's hateful Statewide anti-Trans bill. Although it was worst as the Republicons did the opposite of what Charlotte did (expanding access for Queer & Transgender persons). When the state repealed the law, Charlotte remained up shit's creek.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The state legislature was going to punish Delta airlines for speaking out against their law too. I guess the bill to do so failed though. If the SCOTUS has decided to allow basically unlimited political spending by corporations, then holding the companies accountable is necessary. That is what’s happening here. Delta, Coke, and MLB may or not be led by people who actually care about this, but the terrible PR they get when their spending on candidates pushing racist laws makes them act.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
That may be a good solution right there. Dry up all the corporate donations to the GQP. Everywhere, not just Georgia, to really put the pressure on them (and any other states considering similar bills).

Starve the Republican Party.

Yes, they’ve got rich partisan donors, but I don’t think those donors can support the entire party by themselves.

Top Bottom
1 2