MLB is moving the 2021 All-Star game out of Georgia over opposition to new voting law

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
72432BEF-CB50-4D77-A169-60AD6720FE23.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Memes have become highly overused. I'd like to see Thanos snap about half of them out of existence.

As for the MLB - kudos. Now if they'll just move the game to the Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile.... Not only would it be a fitting tribute to Aaron, but it might be a sign to the AL government that if they play nicely they get nice things, and to not follow Georgia.

U

User.45

Isn't it that blood testing company that turned out to be a scam? šŸ˜„
Fun fact: I watched Justice League in hopes of finally gaining enough knowledge to understand those Thanos memes. Turns out, whom I thought were Thanos in the movie was Darskseid all along. It seems that I'll remain ignorant 'til the antilife equation destroys the world.

Comic books to me are like memes to @Scepticalscribe.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Fun fact: I watched Justice League in hopes of finally gaining enough knowledge to understand those Thanos memes. Turns out, whom I thought were Thanos in the movie was Darskseid all along. It seems that I'll remain ignorant 'til the antilife equation destroys the world.

I'm probably just showing my age here but that movie was like watching a 4 hour video game, it was probably 95% green screen, I just can't get into this new genre.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Blah. I figured that one was clever enough that you might enjoy it, but I understand the general sentiment.

Actually, I did, - it raised a smile, but I wasn't in a good mood when I came across it - but, I do think - in general - (especially from guys/dudes), that the use of memes is overdone, and is all too lamentably often used as a substitute for words (and wit, for that matter).

The other thing is the humour in many, most memes (yes, not all) is.......predictably basic (okay, much humour derives its wit from a knowledge of, or, understanding of, cultural context).

U

User.45

I'm probably just showing my age here but that movie was like watching a 4 hour video game, it was probably 95% green screen, I just can't get into this new genre.
I'm an X-ennial (analog childhood, digital dreams) and I still enjoy animatronic movies much more than those with CGI. Why watch CGI movies when you could play these as games?

The other thing is the humour in many, most memes (yes, not all) is.......predictably basic (okay, much humour derives its wit from a knowledge of, or, understanding of, cultural context).
Yup. Internet folklore.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm an X-ennial (analog childhood, digital dreams) and I still enjoy animatronic movies much more than those with CGI. Why watch CGI movies when you could play these as games?

Yup. Internet folklore.
Don't suppose you're a Rush (the band) fan? Funny you mention these because on one of their albums, Signals, they have a song called The Analog Kid and another called Digital Man. Maybe just coincidence but seeing that they're my favorite band in the world and basically shaped my youth I thought it was worth asking lol.

But yean, give me the original Superman (1978) over this stuff any day, yeah some special effects but it's great storytelling filmed in real locations.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Thanos was Marvelā€™s ā€œanswerā€ to the popular Darkseid character in DC comics. (Answer is a nice way to say rip-off)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Who's Thanos, LOL.

Thanos was Marvelā€™s ā€œanswerā€ to the popular Darkseid character in DC comics. (Answer is a nice way to say rip-off)

And that answers that. Marvel and DC are opposite sides of the same coin. You can almost match character for character, both good and bad.

I dislike memes, but not as much as I dislike Tik-Tok.

But holy cow are we ever off topic!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
And that answers that. Marvel and DC are opposite sides of the same coin. You can almost match character for character, both good and bad.

I dislike memes, but not as much as I dislike Tik-Tok.

But holy cow are we ever off topic!
Well, comics provide space for social commentary. Iā€™m sure both DC and Marvel have plenty of storylines where the heroes beat back brazen attempts by the villains to destroy democracy. And fascists and literal nazis are typically the bad guys there...

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I like memes, but they need to be posted in moderation.

Unfortunately, that was JK's greatest failing. He was a meme drunk.
Yeah, I like memes too, but as you say, in moderation. If brevity is the soul of wit, then the best memes succeed by taking a paragraph's worth of argument and condensing it into one sentence.

Some of the stuff jk posted, though, was just mean. And yes, he went meme-crazy. Some of his threads started to look like right wing Facebook pages.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I like memes too, but as you say, in moderation. If brevity is the soul of wit, then the best memes succeed by taking a paragraph's worth of argument and condensing it into one sentence.

Some of the stuff jk posted, though, was just mean. And yes, he went meme-crazy. Some of his threads started to look like right wing Facebook pages.
I think he got banned for the meme making fun of a victim of a shooting. Deservedly so.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Trump yesterday:

"It is finally time for Republicans and Conservatives to fight back - we have more people than they do - by far! Boycott Major League Baseball, Coca-Cola, Delta Airlines, JPMorgan Chase, ViacomCBS, Citigroup, Cisco, UPS, and Merck. Don't go back to their products until they relent. We can play the game better than them," Trump said.

So there ya go folks. Drink more Coke, watch more CBS, attend ball games, ship UPS, etc.

Thanks for the list, Conman Don. šŸ™‚

As to having more people than we do...did you notice where you were when you woke up this morning?

Top Bottom
1 2