More alleged iPhone 14 leaks

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess if you turn the screen sideways it makes an “i” for iPhone :)

Not sure this is better than the notch, as the real estate above the notch isn’t useful for much (maybe some indicators will normally go there?)

Pro screens also appear to be slightly taller (or the screen is narrower) as the aspect ratio seems bigger than for the 13 pro’s.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1519670963872407554/

1651163121655.png

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not sure this is better than the notch...

Same here. My gut say that it's nowhere near as elegant a solution as the notch. That was the side of the screen, not in the screen.

My brain says Apple has probably done extensive testing and such and that it won't be as big a deal as I expect.

I don't like it necessarily. But I'm also not one to skip buying a new phone because of a new design change. This is my year to get a new phone, so that's what I'm getting I guess.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm keeping my 13 Pro Max so not too worried about the pill and circle.

i’ll wait and see what new features the phone brings beyond i-holes and the camera. I bought a new iphone every year since the first, except for the iphone 12 generation. I’m guessing I’ll skip 14, but you never know - apple may surprise me.

I’m due for a new Apple Watch, on the other hand.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If Apple solves the lens flare issue I might trade in my 12. I'd rather have both hands on my phone when making photos, rather than one hand playing lens hood.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't see how this pill design is any better than the notch. It's not like you're getting extra screen real estate. The space between the pill and the edge is way too small to even squeeze anything even slightly useful in there.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
If Apple solves the lens flare issue I might trade in my 12. I'd rather have both hands on my phone when making photos, rather than one hand playing lens hood.
I've been using the 13 Pro Max and love the camera but this is a real issue for me, in normal daylight with the sun out it's almost impossible to see the screen to compose, I try to use the volume button for a shutter but it's always awkward.

Basic point and shoot at broad subjects is about as much as I can get out of it but for anything that requires actual framing that I want a quality shot from will be from my mirrorless through a viewfinder.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
i’ll wait and see what new features the phone brings beyond i-holes and the camera. I bought a new iphone every year since the first, except for the iphone 12 generation. I’m guessing I’ll skip 14, but you never know - apple may surprise me.

I'll be getting both. I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program. If the rumors are true about the S8 it would be a nice upgrade from the S6.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've been using the 13 Pro Max and love the camera but this is a real issue for me, in normal daylight with the sun out it's almost impossible to see the screen to compose, I try to use the volume button for a shutter but it's always awkward.

Basic point and shoot at broad subjects is about as much as I can get out of it but for anything that requires actual framing that I want a quality shot from will be from my mirrorless through a viewfinder.

I've learned (the hard way) when there's flare - it's subtle when you're looking at the screen. Much more apparent when I'm processing the image - which it usually ruins. Shooting one-handed is tough. As hard as I try to at least get either vertical or horizontal image elements parallel to the frame edge, it never works out. Have to stand a little further back when shooting and then fix the distortion in LR.

What gets me is it was totally preventable in their design. Looking at the cover glass it's apparent it sits proud (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mm) of the somewhat shiny (and reflective) trim ring that surrounds the cover glass. What makes it even worse is the edge of the proud cover glass is chamfered, letting even more reflected light in off the front surface of the trim ring. Dumb.

EDIT: Ah, OK... you're talking about the screen washing out from the Sun behind you. For me it's when the Sun in front, out of the frame, and flaring the lens.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sad to see the mini go.

I’m not sad for me, but my wife needs to replace her iPhone X and an iphone 14 mini probably would have been our preference. I guess that despite how much the iphone twitter crowd chatters about the mini, they don’t sell well.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I've learned (the hard way) when there's flare - it's subtle when you're looking at the screen. Much more apparent when I'm processing the image - which it usually ruins. Shooting one-handed is tough. As hard as I try to at least get either vertical or horizontal image elements parallel to the frame edge, it never works out. Have to stand a little further back when shooting and then fix the distortion in LR.

What gets me is it was totally preventable in their design. Looking at the cover glass it's apparent it sits proud (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mm) of the somewhat shiny (and reflective) trim ring that surrounds the cover glass. What makes it even worse is the edge of the proud cover glass is chamfered, letting even more reflected light in off the front surface of the trim ring. Dumb.

EDIT: Ah, OK... you're talking about the screen washing out from the Sun behind you. For me it's when the Sun in front, out of the frame, and flaring the lens.
Actually, the lens flare is a problem as well, I thought it was just me but I have several ruined shots because of it. Same goes for distortion on wider shots, I've found that I have to be really careful about framing just right and even then it's still off. In LR on my mirrorless I can choose my lens and it will automatically correct it but I would be surprised if this wasn't possible on the iPhone as well.

All good though, it's just a learning experience with a new tool. I'm using it a lot less than I was originally planning due to these shortcomings but will still keep using it for basic point and shoot, family, pets, etc.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score

I have the SS Apple Watch 4. It works perfectly fine for my needs. But that always on display sure is tempting on the newer models, especially when working out and the quick glance doesn’t always work fast enough. It’s not a dealbreaker but it’s annoying having to sometimes tap to wake in the middle of a workout.

I like the SS watches so I try to keep them as long as possible since resale value sucks and they’re so expensive compared to aluminum.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have the SS Apple Watch 4. It works perfectly fine for my needs. But that always on display sure is tempting on the newer models, especially when working out and the quick glance doesn’t always work fast enough. It’s not a dealbreaker but it’s annoying having to sometimes tap to wake in the middle of a workout.

I like the SS watches so I try to keep them as long as possible since resale value sucks and they’re so expensive compared to aluminum.
Same model but aluminum here but it's served me well so far. My wife opted to get the 7 and while it seems a bit snappier the other features haven't picked up enough for me to want to make the switch just yet. One of the drawbacks for me is the blood oxygen sensor, the fact that you have to open the app and run it (sort of like the ECG) is not worth it. You can buy a cheap sensor that goes on your fingertip and get an instant reading (it's been this way for 20 years), just seems like Apple's technology isn't quite there yet.

Always on is a feature I can get behind though, my wife doesn't seem interested so she hasn't enabled it but IMO this should've always been enabled. It doesn't seem like just the clock would've been that big of a battery drain but who knows.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’m also on the SS watch 4. Prior to that I was on the series 0 SS.

D

Deleted member 215

I have the 13 Pro so I wasn't planning on upgrading, but yeah, not exactly clear on why this is better than the notch. It seems more like a change for change's sake, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I understand that designs get stale.

What makes me shy away from this phone the most though is hearing that the camera bump is going to be even bigger and more prominent and at its most prominent the phone will stick out more than the original iPhone. I'm not a Jony Ive "thinner at all costs" person, but there is a limit to how bulky and heavy I want these devices to be. I feel we may be approaching it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have the 13 Pro so I wasn't planning on upgrading, but yeah, not exactly clear on why this is better than the notch. It seems more like a change for change's sake, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I understand that designs get stale.
Funny, I haven't noticed it either way but I never really look.

What makes me shy away from this phone the most though is hearing that the camera bump is going to be even bigger and more prominent and at its most prominent the phone will stick out more than the original iPhone. I'm not a Jony Ive "thinner at all costs" person, but there is a limit to how bulky and heavy I want these devices to be. I feel we may be approaching it.
Exactly. They can make all the sensor improvements they want but in the end they can't replace a real lens without adding serious bulk. I don't see how this ever works for a mobil device without external attachments of some kind.

Top Bottom
1 2