Move the Winter Olympics?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
There is a movement afoot to either boycott the 2022 Winter Olympics in China or move the event, to protest the many and obvious human rights violations in that country.

I must confess to being sympathetic to the idea, but I wonder how realistic it is. I’m not really in favor of simply boycotting, because I think all that does is punish American athletes.

On the other hand, how feasibly is moving the Olympics to another venue? it’s not as if this can be done easily. Countries begin to prepare for the event years in advance. Could the IOC really pull something together in eleven months?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's been boycotted in the past. But boycotts never hurt anyone at the top. Frankly, to boycott over human rights issues is a bit like throwing stones from your glass house at this point.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I object to it being in China only because China probably already holds the world record for uninhabited new cities that will soon become weed gardens and reclaimed by nature. We shouldn’t be adding an Olympic village to that list.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cheap consumer goods. Give them to me. I want them. I don’t care about made in America.

Yeah, I think corporate America shot us in the ass with that one even more than offshoring jobs. Not everybody lost their job due to offshoring, but everybody benefits from cheap consumer goods.

Top Bottom