Mr Trump Stiffs His Lawyer

U

User.45

Ah, wine enthusiasts... I briefly worked close to that industry, and this is all I wanted to tell them:

9q03v30nkdvz.jpg
My medschool was deep in wine country. A lot of my elderly patients made their own wine and drank liters of it a day... We did a lot of autopsies and you could tell. These people had the smoothest aortas (it "normally" calcifies over time becoming very rough to touch, causing ischemic heart disease) and typically quite messy livers (alcoholic steatosis of varying severity). (Very anecdotal, but never dug into the literature too deeply, because I dislike wine so much I wouldn't drink it daily even if it gave me eternal life....)

Needless to say that wine was dirt cheap too. You do do need to make sure it is wine, like made of fermented grapes, etc, you're fine:)

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
My medschool was deep in wine country. A lot of my elderly patients made their own wine and drank liters of it a day... We did a lot of autopsies and you could tell. These people had the smoothest aortas (it calcifies over time, causing ischemic heart disease) and typically quite messy livers (alcoholic steatosis, or varying levels). (Very anecdotal, but never dug into the literature too deeply, because I dislike wine so much I wouldn't drink it daily even if it gave me eternal life....)

Needless to say that wine was dirt cheap too. You do do need to make sure it is wine, like made of fermented grapes, etc, you're fine:)
Oh I have at least a glass of wine — preferably red — a day… love the stuff.

That's why "Dry January" is never a success in our house. 😄

U

User.45

I usually buy some import from Tuscany. But a glass gets me a little tipsy and messes with my sleep. Most months are dry january for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Actually, I agree completely with your thoughts on the fatuous futility of "dry January". Or, self-denying January.

What an awful - already dark, dreary, dismal, depressing - month to suggest further self-punishment.

Re wine, firstly, I am rather partial to it.

Secondly, while there is (to my palate) a considerable difference between the oceans of cheap Chateau Plonk available, - these days, I'm too old, too knowledgeable, and too intolerant to want to drink dross - and better quality wine, nevertheless, in common with @Arkitect, I'd argue that, at a price over £20/€25, there may be an element of diminishing returns to this equation.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Lovingly harvested by the slender fingers of Umbrian virgins on the second night after the harvest full moon… then hand foot pressed by a select group of grandmothers and hand bottled by the great-great-great uncle of Garibaldi… That'll be £50, grazie. *ka-ching!*

Link?

U

User.45

Actually, I agree completely with your thoughts on the fatuous futility of "dry January". Or, self-denying January.

What an awful - already dark, dreary, dismal, depressing - month to suggest further self-punishment.

Re wine, firstly, I am rather partial to it.

Secondly, while there is (to my palate) a considerable difference between the oceans of cheap Chateau Plonk available, - these days, I'm too old, too knowledgeable, and too intolerant to want to drink dross - and better quality wine, nevertheless, in common with @Arkitect, I'd argue that, at a price over £20/€25, there may be an element of diminishing returns to this equation.
Like in audiophile stuff. I can over over sample 44 Khz stuff to 768Khz, fly my Magic Speaker Cables on first class sipping dom perignon served by strippers, at the end of the day, they will sound like any other cable that is insulated enough so that it doesn't pick up the local news radio.

Top Bottom
1 2