My iMac is getting old

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sounds like I'll have to go with the 512GB unless I want to wait so that's what I'll do, I've weeded things down on my backup (on a 1TB spinning drive) to make it fit on a new smaller size. Nothing makes you realize what a pack rat you are like re-formatting your drive lol.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
That's the truth, whew! I remember when I was making the shift from a 2012 iMac with 1 TB internal drive to a 2015 MBP with 512 GB, and yes, spent quite a bit of time doing some necessary housekeeping in the old machine, deciding what was not needed at all, what was needed but could be stashed on external drives, and what was absolutely needed on the internal drive... Since then I've continued with the policy of storing as much off a computer's internal drive as possible, keeping it a "lean, mean machine."

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sounds like I'll have to go with the 512GB unless I want to wait so that's what I'll do, I've weeded things down on my backup (on a 1TB spinning drive) to make it fit on a new smaller size. Nothing makes you realize what a pack rat you are like re-formatting your drive lol.

I'm probably ordering one with either the 1TB or 2TB drive. Actually, I don't mind the wait. If I order now, it should arrive around the time of WWDC. I'm not expecting any hardware announcements there (maybe the Mac Pro, but that's heading the wrong direction for me). If I'm wrong and they announce something more tempting for me, I should be in my 14-day window to return (assuming they don't get caught up on orders and send them early).

To be perfectly honest, I've determined my sweet spot would be an M1 Pro. I'm only going with the Studio because I'm tired of waiting and don't honestly expect such a device until later this year or next. Plus, I do love all the ports on the Studio vs the mini. At this point, I'm on a desktop, but use the ports on the laptop sitting next to me to keep things changed since I don't have enough ports on my iMac. So the ports combined with the base 32GB of memory has pushed me over the edge on the Studio.

I expect to place my order this week. First, I need to get my son setup in his own place. Once that's settled (assuming it doesn't eat into what I've saved), I plan to pull the trigger.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense to me! I thought it was rather odd that Apple would develop a keyboard which wouldn't work with their Intel machines, as people are still going to have those Intel machines for a while and there are situations where one needs to have an external keyboard. Thanks! Actually I wouldn't be using Touch ID anyway since I am using the external keyboard as an external one with a 2018 MBP rather than the MBP's onboard keyboard. I do have Touch ID on the M1 but half the time it doesn't work anyway and I wind up typing in the passcode anyhow.
My experience with Touch ID on my Mac Studio has been great. It hasn't failed once. However, over the years, I've known people who couldn't get Touch ID to work on their phones, despite training and re-training several fingers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I ended up getting the LG 27UL650-W Monitor 27" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Display, VESA DisplayHDR 400 and couldn't be happier, to my eyes it's as good as the 5K on the old iMac (even though I know it isn't) it's still a great monitor.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
My best friend has a 5 (7) year old 27" iMac that soldiers on. We were erusing the M1 iMacs and she thought 24 seemed a tad small. And they looked pricey. Somewhat sarcastically, she asked what a Dell would cost. So I looked it up – for your reference,

The $1700 27" Inspiron all-in-one has a 4-core i7, of the previous generation (not Alder Lake), with 32Gb of RAM, 1Tb ssd, a display of 1920x1080. I guess that would get one through the day, but it sounds a bit overpriced to me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My best friend has a 5 (7) year old 27" iMac that soldiers on. We were erusing the M1 iMacs and she thought 24 seemed a tad small. And they looked pricey. Somewhat sarcastically, she asked what a Dell would cost. So I looked it up – for your reference,

The $1700 27" Inspiron all-in-one has a 4-core i7, of the previous generation (not Alder Lake), with 32Gb of RAM, 1Tb ssd, a display of 1920x1080. I guess that would get one through the day, but it sounds a bit overpriced to me.
I've always been a fan of Intel but after moving to Apple Silicon in two of my computers I'm not looking back, the difference is like day and night. I don't follow trends in this sector but you have to wonder what Intel is doing to answer it.

Top Bottom
1 2