Name Your Child

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is “Destiny” a good girl name? I’m thinking not as I picked up a drink this morning from Destiny. It’s an expectations issue or a possible source of being kidded. :unsure:

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of something from years ago:

iu

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Is “Destiny” a good girl name? I’m thinking not as I picked up a drink this morning from Destiny. It’s an expectations issue or a possible source of being kidded. :unsure:

Not just mockery or ridicule, (and yes, kids can be astonishingly conservative as well as cruel) but perhaps may run the risk of asking too much of the child themselves, by way of imposing future expectations, a role, a "destiny" to live up to, by the simple (yet powerful) act of giving someone such a name.

I'd also see how any such first name matches with the child's surname.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We did :)

First == My Grandma's name (Mom's side), slightly different spelling

Middle == my wife's Grandma's name (also Mom's side), and also a variant of my wife's middle name

U

User.45

We did :)

First == My Grandma's name (Mom's side), slightly different spelling

Middle == my wife's Grandma's name (also Mom's side), and also a variant of my wife's middle name
Nigerians usually give two names, one tribal and another "christian" name. I only use my tribal name in publications as a fuck you to racists.

My wife and I chose native Eastern European first names for the girls that
1) Don't sounds super foreign so Americans can pronounce
2) Can't be mocked easily in either language
3) Tribal middle names but chose something not trivially African sounding

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

If someone is named "Destiny" on a television show or film, it is almost certainly a stripper stage name. Once something veers in that territory, I wouldn't regard it as a good given name. Personally, I would avoid flowery language or anything that may result in teasing. Asking family members in their teens or twenties may also help eliminate unobvious bad choices.

37e08c83797924a06e1706fa550c906f_w200.webp

Nuff said

Since this is a female name, it might be more appropriate to refer to Biggus Dickus's wife, Incontinentia Buttocks. Good luck with the lions.

D

Deleted member 199

As is often the case, I'd like to inject some "they do what over there now?".

In Thai culture, most (not all, but the vast majority) of people are legally named with relatively long names. My wife, SIL, BIL (SIL's husband), MIL, and FIL all have 3 syllable given names.

So, the kids always get a nickname. But, and here's where it's odd. The nickname is (a) chosen by the parents basically at birth, as with the legal name (b) mostly unrelated to the given name - definitely not just a shortened version; and (c) recently, there's a trend for it to just be an English language noun.

So my nearly-5-year old has a friend and kinder called "mammoth". I've heard first and second-hand accounts of kids called "ice cream" "England" "pizza".

This name is basically how the person will be referred to, by a significant portion of society for the rest of their life.

And no, we did not follow this practice. I did joke about using the name Riley, because dear god the mixed up Ls/Rs thing is not just a joke/stereotype.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I gave up on names around my 3rd year of teaching when I had a girl in class named LaQuindelyn. I have been known to yell at the tv when the news guy is talking about an arrest and mispronounces the name of the criminal (another former student). No matter how strange the name, they’re just not strange to me anymore.

And then there’s my father’s old secretary, Mary. Her last name was Tree. Her middle name? Christmas. She had a brother, Doug. Yes…Douglas Fir Tree.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I gave up on names around my 3rd year of teaching when I had a girl in class named LaQuindelyn. I have been known to yell at the tv when the news guy is talking about an arrest and mispronounces the name of the criminal (another former student). No matter how strange the name, they’re just not strange to me anymore.

And then there’s my father’s old secretary, Mary. Her last name was Tree. Her middle name? Christmas. She had a brother, Doug. Yes…Douglas Fir Tree.
Obviously a sense of humor was present. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

My Dad worked with a guy named Bobby Balls.

He had a sister named Ophelia.

I am not making this up.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Every year on All Souls‘ Day they read names of those that died in the past year. I was in a Cathedral choir and the list of names was quite long. I’m standing there trying to stay awake, and one of the names was “Hoggit Bacon” - I almost died myself trying not to laugh during such a somber moment. The resulting tears from my eyes might have led some to think I’d lost a relative…

Top Bottom
1 2