Need help with 2nd monitor

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I swear it worked up until we moved. Now the Display options under preferences don't even give me the same options as before. This is on my M1 MacBook Air.

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 5.38.28 PM.png
It used to show the 2nd monitor and allow me to drag the 2nd one on top of the built-in Retina display. This is driving me insane (and I don't have far to go)!

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I have never used a second monitor, but what happens if you choose Add Display on the bottom left?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It looks like the mac isn’t detecting the display? Is the display displaying anything?

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I recently had this happen on my 16" Intel MBP, a reboot did help me get the machine to recognize the display properly, but you may have already tried that.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently had this happen on my 16" Intel MBP, a reboot did help me get the machine to recognize the display properly, but you may have already tried that.
And if it happened after a move, double check that the cable is seated firmly (and seated to the correct input of the monitor, if there are more than one). If a reboot doesn’t work and you have confirmed that the cable is in the right place and firmly connected, the cable may have been damaged.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, assuming you're using a TB/USB_to_<something> adapter? So that's a connector to the machine, a cable from the display to the adapter, and the same cable to the display.

Also, make sure the display has the right input selected, some are finicky about automatically selecting (so HDMI / DP / mDP, depending on the cable).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It looks like the mac isn’t detecting the display? Is the display displaying anything?
It gives the message that no input is detected and then it goes to sleep.
Yup, a few times.
And if it happened after a move, double check that the cable is seated firmly (and seated to the correct input of the monitor, if there are more than one). If a reboot doesn’t work and you have confirmed that the cable is in the right place and firmly connected, the cable may have been damaged.
Step 2 in all trouble shooting. 1. Make sure it’s plugged in, 2. Make sure all cables are seated correctly.
Yeah, assuming you're using a TB/USB_to_<something> adapter? So that's a connector to the machine, a cable from the display to the adapter, and the same cable to the display.

Also, make sure the display has the right input selected, some are finicky about automatically selecting (so HDMI / DP / mDP, depending on the cable).
I’ll double check, but it should be the same.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Definitely seems like a cable problem. Could possibly be something that needs an SMC reset, but the simplest explanation is the cable.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I swear it worked up until we moved. Now the Display options under preferences don't even give me the same options as before. This is on my M1 MacBook Air.

View attachment 12904
It used to show the 2nd monitor and allow me to drag the 2nd one on top of the built-in Retina display. This is driving me insane (and I don't have far to go)!
Go to about this Mac and click the system report. You should be able to see there if it’s detecting any hardware plugged into the port at all.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It gives the message that no input is detected and then it goes to sleep.

Yup, a few times.

Step 2 in all trouble shooting. 1. Make sure it’s plugged in, 2. Make sure all cables are seated correctly.

I’ll double check, but it should be the same.
So turn the monitor off whilst it’s connected. Then back on. Select a source on the monitor that your not using. Then select the one you are. Did that work?
I’d avoid the HDMI port on the monitor. Sometimes MacOS doesn’t play nicely with HDMI. I also would avoid adaptors. Use USBC cables if your monitor has that port. If not buy a USBC to Display port cable. Works a lot better with my two monitor set up.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I will try another cable.

Yeah, cables/adapters can be incredibly touchy, I've had cables that worked for years, rearranged them under the desk and had them crap out.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I will try another cable.
I assume you've already tried both ports on your laptop without success. You didn't say what type of cable you're using — some are more prone to damage from bending, twisting, etc. than others. But another cable of the same type is the easiest thing to do next. If none of these things work, try a different connector on the monitor, which would require getting a different cable.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've now attached the monitor to my husband's PC. It works fine even with the original HDMI cable. Tried a different cable. Tried a VGA cable. When I unplug or plug in the HDMI cable, the monitor wakes up so it's noticing something. But then it says no input detected and goes back to sleep.

The only other thing is that I'm using a hub, and it's possible the hub has gone bad.

Will keep trying.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've now attached the monitor to my husband's PC. It works fine even with the original HDMI cable. Tried a different cable. Tried a VGA cable. When I unplug or plug in the HDMI cable, the monitor wakes up so it's noticing something. But then it says no input detected and goes back to sleep.

The only other thing is that I'm using a hub, and it's possible the hub has gone bad.

Will keep trying.

I think you may want to do an SMC reset.

Actually - never mind. Forgot you have an M1 mac. Hmm….

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have an idea: you're gonna need some ball bearings and 30 weight oil ...

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score

Will keep trying.
Did you try the steps I listed above? Especially manually selecting a different source (say VGA), then back to HDMI?
We run into this a bit at work where we sell monitors amongst other things.

Top Bottom
1 2