Netflix going to $19.99 a month

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Cancelled! Take that, Netflix!

I don’t even share this password, but Netflix is the only streamer charging me for 4K video quality, and $20 is a lot, relatively speaking. If they’d kept it at more like $15 I doubt I would have dropped them.

I've been thinking about it, mostly because I recently re-upped to Prime membership before the most recent hike on that went up again, so having Prime video around for specific things I had wanted to see or see again means I do spend less time on Netflix and was watching more HBO Max stuff anyway.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Have both Prime and Netflix - it's getting more and more annoying now how much content is not available on either - as everyone and their brother has streaming services now.

Getting more tempting everyday to setup a NAS like I had back in Onterrible with automation to grab everything that I want from the newsgroups again. :)

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I've become so bored with Netflix I think I'll be alternating which months to subscribe. No need to pay so much for something I don't consistently watch. Which is the reason I cut the cable cord in the first place. I enjoy the freedom of ala carte streaming.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've become so bored with Netflix I think I'll be alternating which months to subscribe. No need to pay so much for something I don't consistently watch. Which is the reason I cut the cable cord in the first place. I enjoy the freedom of ala carte streaming.
We still find enough there to keep the subscription for now.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

There was just a piece in The Guardian over the weekend about people cutting down on streaming platforms and some of them electing to drift in and out again as they hear of stuff they want to watch, hoping to end up spending less money overall.

The thing is, the streaming providers have noticed this churning behavior, and some that also produce original programming have begun to cut back on the production side, or else changed how they go about negotiating for exhibition windows when they acquire rights to stream products. And meanwhile mainstream media reporters have started turning out pieces for the business/investor section, asking if the streaming boom is over.

"There's no free lunch" goes for everyone in the end.

Funny how we all ditched cable because we wanted a la carte choices that traditional providers would not give us, and now we have so many streaming platform choices we can't decide which ones to keep paying for in order not to end up shelling out the equivalent of a full cable sub.​

Bonus cliché: "There's nothing new under the sun".

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
"There's no free lunch" goes for everyone in the end.
True. I consider it ever evolving creativity in how I choose to manage my viewing finances. I actually don't mind the ala carte approach as it's continually changing and therefore keeps it new & interesting for me. Regardless, it's still saving me money compared to when I had a cable service. Maybe if enough of us speak with our pocket book, a message will be sent. Just my 2 duccats worth from someone who works in the film industry and has a familiarity with advertising costs.

Right now, for me, that's the bottom line. I have to be creative in all my finances. The pandemic killed me and wiped out my savings.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have both Prime and Netflix - it's getting more and more annoying now how much content is not available on either - as everyone and their brother has streaming services now.

Getting more tempting everyday to setup a NAS like I had back in Onterrible with automation to grab everything that I want from the newsgroups again. :)
Hit and run subscribing… :)

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm getting Netflix for free through my TMobile plan. It's standard definition but I can't really tell the damn difference so I keep it at SD. I can pay I believe $10 for the highest plan but I am ok with SD for free :)

Top Bottom
1 2