New Feature - Hide Political Forum

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
We get that not everyone is here for Politics so we're giving you options. Anyone can now hide this forum by going to Preferences > Hide Political Forum

This is something many have requested over at MR that they've never setup for some reason, but you get why people want it.

hide_forums.png

Scepticalscribe

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair enough.

Good idea.

For what it is worth, I am fairly sure that I read about a plan to introduce this feature in MR (or that they had already introduced it).

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
Fair enough.

Good idea.

For what it is worth, I am fairly sure that I read about a plan to introduce this feature in MR (or that they had already introduced it).
Just looked and you are right, it's an option people should have. Personally, I just ignore forums I don't want to be a part of but for some they would rather have the option to not even see it.

niji

Power User
I Voted
Reaction score
Why would you come to a forum with “political” in the title and want to avoid politics?
@ericgtr12
i had the same question.
but i hesitated to ask since i don't know the ultimate landing place intended for PoliticalGroove and how soon your timeframe is to get there.
are you looking for it to be a general affairs discussion site?

related to this is individual Topic groupings.
its not unusual that at the early stage overly broad groupings are useful.
but at critical points im sure simultaneous weeding of / adding to general topics will be welcomed by users.

maybe around 1000+ daily users is the tipping point where many users might find it engaging to come back to PoliticalGroove for topics other than politics?

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
@ericgtr12
i had the same question.
but i hesitated to ask since i don't know the ultimate landing place intended for PoliticalGroove and how soon your timeframe is to get there.
are you looking for it to be a general affairs discussion site?

related to this is individual Topic groupings.
its not unusual that at the early stage overly broad groupings are useful.
but at critical points im sure simultaneous weeding of / adding to general topics will be welcomed by users.

maybe around 1000+ daily users is the tipping point where many users might find it engaging to come back to PoliticalGroove for topics other than politics?
Yes, I've had the domain name for a long time and wanted to put it to use again as a place where those we hang with at MR can post with more freedom. So we're stuck with the political tag due to the name but people can talk about whatever they want in other areas.

IMO I would hate it to strictly be on the topic of politics and looking at the posts in all the other forums here I think most would agree.

JayMysteri0

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yes, I've had the domain name for a long time and wanted to put it to use again as a place where those we hang with at MR can post with more freedom. So we're stuck with the political tag due to the name but people can talk about whatever they want in other areas.

IMO I would hate it to strictly be on the topic of politics and looking at the posts in all the other forums here I think most would agree.
I get that's a wonderful option, and people always prefer choice.

I just wonder about the person who joins a forum called Political Groove, and wants to hide the 'politics' section. :unsure:

Those people would really have to like the individuals who hang here, over the stated content of the forum.

As you say though, this is a feature that is much needed over at MR, more than I imagine here.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
I get that's a wonderful option, and people always prefer choice.

I just wonder about the person who joins a forum called Political Groove, and wants to hide the 'politics' section. :unsure:

Those people would really have to like the individuals who hang here, over the stated content of the forum.

As you say though, this is a feature that is much needed over at MR, more than I imagine here.
Ask Gutwrench, for one.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
I also have another domain name called talkedabout.com that I had considered using instead of this one as it would not narrow the site down to just politics. The goal being anyone could talk about anything they wanted in general, in the end I decided to keep this but may still create that as another option down the road, I think people can only take so much of politics.

Scepticalscribe

Staff member
Reaction score
I also have another domain name called talkedabout.com that I had considered using instead of this one as it would not narrow the site down to just politics. The goal being anyone could talk about anything they wanted in general, in the end I decided to keep this but may still create that as another option down the road, I think people can only take so much of politics.

Perhaps.

But, at the moment, politics are of unusual pressing importance.

Top Bottom