New iMac rumors

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am still expecting the M2 Mac Pro to have a very small form factor. I think they will use a common Mbd for the Pro and the Mini, with the Mini board drilled for the PCI-E backplane but not actually having it in.

All rumors suggest it looks like a Mac Pro with half the height. I guess the question is what is it that they will allow you to plug into that thing? I’m guessing just drives, and, maybe (but probably not), RAM.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
The big question will be the size of the iMac Pro's screen, 27" or larger? I'll be in the market for a replacement for my 27" 2017 iMac next year, and if the M iMac's screen is 27", I may consider a Mac mini with a larger display if performance and storage are similar.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The big question will be the size of the iMac Pro's screen, 27" or larger? I'll be in the market for a replacement for my 27" 2017 iMac next year, and if the M iMac's screen is 27", I may consider a Mac mini with a larger display if performance and storage are similar.

Reliable leakers say 27”.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I salivated over the M1, but passed due to just having picked up an Intel MacBook a few months earlier in the year. And my laptop is now almost pointless sitting at home every day.

I salivated over the M1 Pro, but again, I honestly have no need for a laptop at this point.

By next spring my iMac will be 5 years old, it's what I work on daily now, it has a Fusion drive, it has giant bezels, it's basically become my TV and on and on and on. I've been looking forward to this purchase since they announced the M1 to the world last year. I've not been this excited for an Apple product since I can't remember when. Sign me up please!

Jorbanead

Reaction score
What’s exciting for me is I’m really curious how these new chips perform on desktops. My guess is they won’t be much different than the new 16” MBP - but Im not sure. Is there any reason to think Apple is inhibiting these new chips (like purposefully lowering max clock speeds) on the notebooks? @Cmaier off of the info we do have - is there any reason to believe we should see greater performance on a theoretical iMac? Or what are your predictions?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What’s exciting for me is I’m really curious how these new chips perform on desktops. My guess is they won’t be much different than the new 16” MBP - but Im not sure. Is there any reason to think Apple is inhibiting these new chips (like purposefully lowering max clock speeds) on the notebooks? @Cmaier off of the info we do have - is there any reason to believe we should see greater performance on a theoretical iMac? Or what are your predictions?

Assuming the same chips, I would gather that the performance will be the same. Doesn’t seem to be any thermal throttling going on in the MacBook Pros, so there is no headroom to be gained with better cooling. It’s always possible they are saving higher binned chips for the desktops (i.e. chips that can run at a higher clock speed, which would improve single core and multi-core performance), but I doubt it. The clock frequency has stayed pretty much constant across all the M1-based designs.

What would not surprise me, however, is if there is a higher-core count chip destined for high end iMac configurations and low-end Mac Pro.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I agree that the "dark bezels" comment was the highlight of that post. It's silly that we should be stressing over white bezels and rainbow colors, but if I purchase a professional iMac, I don't want it to look like leprechaun vomit.

Assuming the same chips, I would gather that the performance will be the same.
While the whole Alder Lake love fest is overblown, I admit that I am somewhat disappointed that the new iMac Pro is apparently going to use the same SoC as the latest MacBook Pros. Given that these are performance desktops, I would have hoped that Apple would have found a way to goose performance, because the comparisons to Alder Lake, and whatever AMD currently has planned with Zen 3 + V-cache, aren't going to be as kind to the iMac as when comparing the MacBook Pro to similar PC laptops. The iMac Pro will probably run cooler, quieter, and weigh much less than an equivalent PC, but this is supposed to be a mainstream professional machine. I'm hoping that, with future generations of Apple Silicon, there will be more differentiation between the desktop class processors and what they put inside portables.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that the "dark bezels" comment was the highlight of that post. It's silly that we should be stressing over white bezels and rainbow colors, but if I purchase a professional iMac, I don't want it to look like leprechaun vomit.

While the whole Alder Lake love fest is overblown, I admit that I am somewhat disappointed that the new iMac Pro is apparently going to use the same SoC as the latest MacBook Pros. Given that these are performance desktops, I would have hoped that Apple would have found a way to goose performance, because the comparisons to Alder Lake, and whatever AMD currently has planned with Zen 3 + V-cache, aren't going to be as kind to the iMac as when comparing the MacBook Pro to similar PC laptops. The iMac Pro will probably run cooler, quieter, and weigh much less than an equivalent PC, but this is supposed to be a mainstream professional machine. I'm hoping that, with future generations of Apple Silicon, there will be more differentiation between the desktop class processors and what they put inside portables.
I think there will be a “max duo” option with double the cores, but we will see.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I hope there's also a "Pro Duo" option then. It would seem excessive to have 64 GPU cores if you only run CPU-bound tasks.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Dark bezels is exactly what i predicted back in April

View attachment 9654

I am disappointed by the lack of screen size increase. That has killed the iMac purchase for me.
I secretly (well I guess it’s not a secret now) hope that the most powerful Mac they produce only comes in pink. On that day, I will poke my head into the MR forums just long enough to see all the toxic masculinity cause thousands of heads to explode at once. The anger over there at the pastel low-end iMac was hilarious.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I secretly (well I guess it’s not a secret now) hope that the most powerful Mac they produce only comes in pink.

It needs to be neon pink with little purple hearts and flowers. iMac Pro should be embossed on the back in a bubbly Comics San style font.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

My current iMac is silver on the front with black bezels and the back is dust colored. Honestly, I don't really care what color they paint the back. I'm not staring at it all day. I'd rather it not be pink, but I wouldn't make a fuss over it.

White bezels on the other hand is putting the wrong color right where I'd have to see it all day every day. I'll be honest, I'd still get one. I'd just be one of those weirdos who spends thousands on something they don't like, then complains to everyone until I've chased off the few friends I have left. :LOL:

However, my gut says they won't do white bezels. And that there will be decent colors to choose from. I'm not worried to be honest.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My current iMac is silver on the front with black bezels and the back is dust colored. Honestly, I don't really care what color they paint the back. I'm not staring at it all day. I'd rather it not be pink, but I wouldn't make a fuss over it.

White bezels on the other hand is putting the wrong color right where I'd have to see it all day every day. I'll be honest, I'd still get one. I'd just be one of those weirdos who spends thousands of something they don't like, then complains to everyone until I've chased off the few friends I have left. :LOL:

However, my gut says they won't do white bezels. And that there will be decent colors to choose from. I'm not worried to be honest.

I imagine there will be lots of folks willing to sell skins to cover up the white bezels. If there are white bezels.

Top Bottom
1 2