New iPads

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple today announced some new iPads. My thoughts:

Regular iPad: They moved the front camera to the side, which is much better for landscape use. I like.

They released a new keyboard folio for it. I like that the keyboard has a function key row (and a trackpad). I do not like the kickstand design - seems like it won’t work well on a lap?

iPad Pro: seems other than M2, the only thing they added was pencil “hover” functionality. Seems like another feature like force-touch that will get minimum adoption and not be too useful for most folks. Graphics folks will probably love it.

They didn’t move faceid/camera to the side, so no sale for me this time. The 11” still doesn’t have miniLED screen.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, also, the regular ipad is USB-C, but uses the first generation Apple Pencil. So good luck charging the pencil…

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I wonder why they didn't change the pencil to the 2nd-gen pencil instead of retaining the first-generation one and requiring an adapter? The adapter comes in the box with a new one but those who already have a first-gen pencil who want to just use that one can also buy the new adapter accessory for $9.00......

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh, also, the regular ipad is USB-C, but uses the first generation Apple Pencil. So good luck charging the pencil…

What. Seriously Apple?

The iPad is now the rounded rectangle like the other models. Was it that much more expensive to add the magnets and inductive charger?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What. Seriously Apple?

The iPad is now the rounded rectangle like the other models. Was it that much more expensive to add the magnets and inductive charger?
I think they must have done it more to differentiate the pros vs the regular ipads.

But it’s pretty lame that they didn’t redesign the Apple Pencil (version 1) at least. Seems like Magic Mouse charge port all over again.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have both kinds of pencils and much, much prefer the second-generation one. The charging process on the older version is just ridiculous.
Yep, for sure. The second generation is better in every way. I don’t use the tap stuff (i don’t have the manual dexterity to use it reliably), but otherwise i love it. Wish they’d make the butt end into a second function (e.g. an eraser), though.

D

Deleted member 215

Yeah, sorry, but the decision to limit the regular iPad to Gen 1 Apple pencil and require a "sold separately" adapter, while also increasing the price of the iPad by more than $100 has to be one of the shittiest Apple decisions in recent history. But of course from a business perspective it's perfect: motivate people to get the Air or the Pros.

But now that the 10th gen iPad is encroaching on the Air, the lineup also seems more convoluted.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, but the decision to limit the regular iPad to Gen 1 Apple pencil and require a "sold separately" adapter, while also increasing the price of the iPad by more than $100 has to be one of the shittiest Apple decisions in recent history. But of course from a business perspective it's perfect: motivate people to get the Air or the Pros.

But now that the 10th gen iPad is encroaching on the Air, the lineup also seems more convoluted.
Agreed. My kid has an iPad Pro 11 and also an older regular ipad that the school gave her. I bet a lot of the regular ipads end up in those sorts of settings. So it’s nice when they increase the capabilities, but I can just imagine how many adapters the kids will lose if they ever upgrade the ipads to this new model (the kids all have apple pencils).

All of this makes me think there must be a new Apple Pencil coming. It is just too dumb to require the adapter.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
So if I want a 256 GB iPad, $599 for the basic iPad, $749 for the Air. Yikes, I can’t make that decision. I still use a 2017 iPad and it mocks me with its broken speakers.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
So if I want a 256 GB iPad, $599 for the basic iPad, $749 for the Air. Yikes, I can’t make that decision. I still use a 2017 iPad and it mocks me with its broken speakers.

Two things: with M1 power, the Air is able to do the Compound Multiplicity thing, or whatever the hell that half-fast several-apps-at-once thing is called. I forget. Also, you can get it in a nice subtle shade of purple – the non-silver colors of the regular iPad are profoundly gaggy.

Oh, and there is that weird pencil business.

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
They released a new keyboard folio for it. I like that the keyboard has a function key row (and a trackpad). I do not like the kickstand design - seems like it won’t work well on a lap?

Looks like Apple ripped off the Logitech Combo Touch...

They didn’t move faceid/camera to the side, so no sale for me this time.
I wonder why they didn't change the pencil to the 2nd-gen pencil instead of retaining the first-generation one and requiring an adapter? The adapter comes in the box with a new one but those who already have a first-gen pencil who want to just use that one can also buy the new adapter accessory for $9.00......

The magnetic attachment & recharging for the Gen2 Apple Pencil is located in the same area the landscape cameras & such would be...?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like Apple ripped off the Logitech Combo Touch...

The magnetic attachment & recharging for the Gen2 Apple Pencil is located in the same area the landscape cameras & such would be...?

So they can move the magnet to the top side if that’s what the hold up is.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The whole pencil thing is going to come back and bite them in the ass.

Regular iPad: They moved the front camera to the side, which is much better for landscape use. I like.
Thank heavens! This alone would be worth getting my mother a new iPad. We have weekly family chats, and it drives the rest of nuts cause we see a quarter of her face or the top of her head, because who doesn’t use FaceTime in landscape?!
Ugh. I like my original because it works well on my lap. The kind with a kickstand requires realllllly long legs.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple today announced some new iPads. My thoughts:

iPad Pro: seems other than M2, the only thing they added was pencil “hover” functionality. Seems like another feature like force-touch that will get minimum adoption and not be too useful for most folks. Graphics folks will probably love it.

They didn’t move faceid/camera to the side, so no sale for me this time. The 11” still doesn’t have miniLED screen.
i was waiting for the new pro because i knew it was due and contemplating the bigger model for more pencil area for drawing network diagrams.

ended up with an m1 air plus pencil 2 today. the price jump to get a 12.9 screen i may or may not like for the sizing vs portability is just too much of a punt, especially as they jacked the price by $200 here in australia. yeh i’m aware it’s a much nicer screen etc but i don’t need it. just wanted the size. i reckon there’s a niche apple are ignoring for a 12.9 inch ipad that’s not pro.

coming from a 10.5 a10x pro so still a huge jump in almost all respects.

Last edited:

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
on the new ipad vs pencil 1

they could have put a magnetic pencil 2 charge space on one of the short sides (common thinking being there’s no room where the landscape camera is). it’s long enough.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
on the new ipad vs pencil 1

they could have put a magnetic pencil 2 charge space on one of the short sides (common thinking being there’s no room where the landscape camera is). it’s long enough.
Yep. They probably just weren’t ready for a complete redesign like that yet. I think they’ll do that next year, or maybe in 2024 when they go to OLED. Either that, or they’ll move on to Apple Pencil 3 with some new charging and stowing method.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
My daughter has been saving her money for a new iPad all year and was quite disappointed the other day when the iPad 10 came out with a +£130 increase over the 9. She’s settled on a 9 though with an Apple Pencil which ironically came out cheaper than Apple is currently selling just the 9 for! She’s more than happy now though.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yep. They probably just weren’t ready for a complete redesign like that yet. I think they’ll do that next year, or maybe in 2024 when they go to OLED. Either that, or they’ll move on to Apple Pencil 3 with some new charging and stowing method.

I'm so ready for brain to disk.

Sick of all the accessories and adapters to let older gear and newer gear communicate across a few years' (lightyears?) of change. Hate having to think about which cable/charger to take along, even if "along" just means out to another room or upstairs.​

Yeah I know. First world whine. Let me say I'm grateful for the tech that has come into my life, and that's certainly been a truckload. When I was a kid there were radios the size of a crockpot and no television. Gotta keep that memory a little greener maybe.

So... let me go find the right cable for this 🤬 old ipod touch i use as a backup audiobook server...

Top Bottom
1 2