New smart TVs make Apple TV puck redundant

U

User.45

I prefer having a standalone AppleTV box: more flexibility, I suspect better update cycles, "full OS", faster[?], and a consistent UI across all TVs regardless of brand/model. It's also portable which is pretty cool.

:LOL:

These help a ton: not only making it easier to use/hold/find, but in the event it is actually dropped, they're also pretty solid protection:

I have that...along with 2 kids who love to take it out of the case. TBH, I threw it at the wall after its 238485424th shenanigan with fast forwarding to the middle of my show when the dog hopped on the couch.

Seriously, F' that remote!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have that...along with 2 kids who love to take it out of the case. TBH, I threw it at the wall after its 238485424th shenanigan with fast forwarding to the middle of my show when the dog hopped on the couch.

Seriously, F' that remote!

Hahaha, that remote belongs in the FTG thread :LOL:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ll be the lone defender of the ATV remote. I love it! I’d put a mute button on there, though.

U

User.45

I’ll be the lone defender of the ATV remote. I love it! I’d put a mute button on there, though.
I think I first registered on MR, to complain about the ATV remote. Some passive aggressive bloke suggested that I have an "environmental control problem" in my home, and it's not the remote...:D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I honestly don't mind it, and there are moments ... <wait_for_it> ... I actually like it. o_O

COMEATMEBRO!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just use my iPhone for remote.

You know what I want? A remote app that's not just "emulating" the hardware remote, i.e., using the touch surface, showing software buttons - but one that has like a UI that kind of mirrors the AppleTV. So you would interface with the ATV, but "locally" on the iPhone or iPad vs. moving a pointer. Like running the app and Airplaying it, but it's remotely running the ATV - not unlike those programmable remotes where you can make custom icons, etc.

As you're navigating, the device and the ATV stay in sync, maybe have a "remote mode" fallback or something.

The point being: the modern interaction model is touch, not moving a remote cursor around. Think about how fast you can navigate around a touch based app vs. clicking a remote and navigating a UI on a TV 10 feet away ...

U

User.45

Just an update with my LG CX with Airplay2. To my surprise I continue using my 4K Apple TV as for some reason HDR content seems to look better on the ATV... Also, WebOS doesn't have HBOmax yet.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just an update with my LG CX with Airplay2. To my surprise I continue using my 4K Apple TV as for some reason HDR content seems to look better on the ATV... Also, WebOS doesn't have HBOmax yet.
Hey, I just bought an LG CX 55”. I got an ATV 4K to go along with it.

Wow, the black levels. We’re watching The Expanse on Prime and this TV/box make it a different experience.

I tried the native apps. They look good and the interface isn’t terrible but the ATV interface simply destroys the LG, IMO.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I'm guessing Apple realizes the danger that TVs maybe catching up to the box for uses, so the new Apple TV box will be more suited for playing Apple Arcade games. Something I don't believe you can play on TVs without the box.

U

User.45

I'm guessing Apple realizes the danger that TVs maybe catching up to the box for uses, so the new Apple TV box will be more suited for playing Apple Arcade games. Something I don't believe you can play on TVs without the box.
I never tried apple arcade but doesn't have any draw for me. I have a PS for that purpose and I don't see that changing. So i feel that Apple hasn't been competitive in that realm...

Do you have any experience?

On this accord, there may be optimizations on ATV that aren't translated to AirPlay. But it's just so much better from an image quality perspective even using the same settings.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I never tried apple arcade but doesn't have any draw for me. I have a PS for that purpose and I don't see that changing. So i feel that Apple hasn't been competitive in that realm...

Do you have any experience?

On this accord, there may be optimizations on ATV that aren't translated to AirPlay. But it's just so much better from an image quality perspective even using the same settings.
I got the free subscription but never tried it. There were only one or two games that slightly interested me, but I did pair a PS4 controller just in case. Which works great.

I really wish that it allowed ios games on the TV without airplay or screen sharing or whatever. With joystick support that makes the Apple TV a sort of ios version of the Switch.

Top Bottom
1 2