New Steinway Tower in NYC - Not sure I would want to live in it

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Just looks too tall and skinny, which is the purpose, for me to be comfortable in it. I remember as kid having lunch in the Park Tower in Tampa. My uncle's law firm was in the building and there was a restaurant on the top floor. Just sat there and watched the chandeliers sway. And that was only 30 some stories. I'm not really a fan of tall buildings/structures. Or heights in general.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Just looks too tall and skinny, which is the purpose, for me to be comfortable in it. I remember as kid having lunch in the Park Tower in Tampa. My uncle's law firm was in the building and there was a restaurant on the top floor. Just sat there and watched the chandeliers sway. And that was only 30 some stories. I'm not really a fan of tall buildings/structures. Or heights in general.
Here is a great video posted by @JayMysteri0 explaining why that type of tower is so tall and skinny.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Another view :oops:

e2s5k0xpvds81.jpg

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm not particularly bothered by heights, but I wouldn't want to live in one of these super-tall towers even if I could afford to. Some buildings have been particularly disappointing for owners. For example, 432 Park Avenue, which is 1400' high, has been plagued with problems. From a NYT article:

All buildings sway in the wind, but at exceptional heights, those forces are stronger. A management email explained that “a high-wind condition” stopped an elevator and caused a resident to be “entrapped” on the evening of Oct. 31, 2019, for an hour and 25 minutes. Wind sway can cause the cables in the elevator shaft to slap around and lead to slowdowns or shutdowns, according to an engineer who asked not to be named, because he has worked on other towers in New York with similar issues.

One of the most common complaints in supertall buildings is noise, said Luke Leung, a director at the architectural firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill. He has heard metal partitions between walls groan as buildings sway, and the ghostly whistle of rushing air in doorways and elevator shafts.

Residents at 432 Park complained of creaking, banging and clicking noises in their apartments, and a trash chute “that sounds like a bomb” when garbage is tossed, according to notes from a 2019 owners’ meeting.

But the tech to mitigate or eliminate these issues keeps improving. For example, wind effects are substantially reduced by gaps on certain floors. And swaying is diminished by tuned mass diapers, basically large weights at the building's apex that counteract the swing. Here's a good video demonstration:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
You couldn't pay me to go into that thing, may be safe but I have a serious fear of heights and it looks down right scary.

To get herself into the elevator every morning at a downtown high-rise tower, a friend of mine who worked on a high floor used to chant under her breath "De Nile is a River in Egypt" and then just pretend she was still working in midtown at a firm where the offices were on the 7th floor, not dozens higher.

I didn't mind working in tall office towers, although it crossed my mind once that getting out in case of fire could be a challenge and maybe impossible depending on where the fire was versus exits and stairwells. There was a relatively small fire at 120 Wall Street once, when some artist's shop down the hall from our firm had a fire in a wastebasket and a lot of flammable solvents went up. It was enough to make me learn immediately where emergency exits were at every place I worked thereafter.

The big if fairly rare problem in those high towers is electrical blackouts. Walking down 53 flights of emergency exit stairs in the Pan Am building (now Met Life) during the massive 1965 northeastern blackout was no picnic.

We made that trek about five or six hours after the NYC mayor had been saying all that time on emergency radio broadcast facilities that ConEd would have the lights back on "in about 20 minutes". Yeah right. It took us almost half an hour to walk down, and by then our knees turned to jelly when we quit moving and sat down for awhile, before starting our assorted treks on foot to get home or to a bus.

I happened to be looking out the window to the south on that strangely balmy November evening when the power failure began. The lights suddenly went out all over the city, in a quickly vanishing wave and fade to black. A shocking sight!

My boss was facing the other way, packing his briefcase, asking me where this or that was, preparing to take a few days off work to deal with a child in the hospital. When the office went dark he just laughed and made some joke like "this building, wow, can't even plug in a copy machine and a coffeepot at the same time."

Looking down at the pale wash of taxi headlights in the rush hour on an otherwise totally darkened Park Avenue, I said "Yeah I think this is bigger than that...."

He was about 35 years old then, I think. He and another partner at the firm, on a dare to each other, went down 53 flights and across the road to a pizza place and managed to score a bunch of still warm pizzas and a bushel basket of sodas and carried all that stuff back up 53 flights to share with us. "Only the young and crazy"...

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The big if fairly rare problem in those high towers is electrical blackouts. Walking down 53 flights of emergency exit stairs in the Pan Am building (now Met Life) during the massive 1965 northeastern blackout was no picnic.

In this day & age, a building like that will have several backup generators in the basement to run the elevators. Hell, they could be run on NG – gas still flows when the power goes out, right?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
In this day & age, a building like that will have several backup generators in the basement to run the elevators. Hell, they could be run on NG – gas still flows when the power goes out, right?
If they don't have generators for the elevators, there's always BASE jumping for the people above a certain level.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I don't know what their procedures are now, but if they use gennies then they just use them to bring people in them downstairs and then shut the elevators off, most likely. I'm not talking about a fire situation, just a power outage.

Top Bottom
1 2