New - Wiki Feature

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Other WikiAuthors
  • Huntn
Added by request but I'll admit I don't know a lot about how the feature will work. Let's be careful to only use it when we think it's applicable as well.

It's an option when creating a new post
Greenshot 2021-07-11 16.20.02.png

There's also a menu item at the top for it
Greenshot 2021-07-11 16.22.33.png

Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Message from Huntn: Yes I can edit this. :)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Added by request but I'll admit I don't know a lot about how the feature will work. Let's be careful to only use it when we think it's applicable as well.

It's an option when creating a new post
Greenshot 2021-07-11 16.20.02.png

There's also a menu item at the top for it
Greenshot 2021-07-11 16.22.33.png

Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Actually, it has been used intelligently on MR in a number of specific areas - which call for a wiki feature: The coffee (espresso) thread, some of the photography threads, and so on come to mind.

If memory serves, it was used on the first post - so that posters could add useful information, recommendations, products and links, as needed.

OP
Eric

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
@Huntn Just wanted to highlight the features of this addon, it gives you pretty decent control over who can make edits as the thread starter. See this post for additional info and screenshots.

Features​

• Turn the first post of any thread into a WikiPost - This is the core of the addon. Based on the XF Permissions you can define what usergroups can turn their threads to a WikiPost and who can contribute to existing WikiPost.
  • Configure a forum as a WikiPost Forum - All new threads will include a WikiPost by default.
  • Changelog integrated to the XenForo History system - Make use of the built-in History system to display changes to your WikiPost.
  • Summary of changes (visible in the changelog) - When you edit a WikiPost, you'll find a new text field to provide a summary of the changes in your edit. You can force your users to provide a summary with each edit (recommended).
  • Watch a WikiPost for future edits, both with Push or Email notifications - Sometimes it's better to keep an eye in certain WikiPosts, be it because you'd like to be informed of new modifications to it or because it's a controversial topic in your community. You can choose how you'd like to be notified of future edits.
  • Protect a WikiPost - As a thread owner you can specify which users can edit your WikiPost. There are three options: any one with the required permission (default) / People you follow / People specified in a list (see screenshots)
  • Ban an user from editing a specific WikiPost - One of the tools to help you manage your WikiPosts is the Ban feature. Similar to the Reply Ban, you can ban users from editing a specific WikiPost. More tools to help you manage your WikiPost to come in a near future.
  • Wiki Safe Area: As an admin/thread owner you can define a safe area inside the first post with the bbcode. Users will only be able to edit what's inside that area. The rest of the post would be protected.
    [*]Suggest a WikiPost - Users can suggest to turn a post into a WikiPost (permission based). The request will enter the Approval Queue where administrators can approve the suggestion.
    [*]WikiPost page - Two new sections available for you to list your forum's WikiPost as well as the latest WikiPost list of summaries in your community.

OP
Eric

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I’ll take a look...
Okay, let's test here. I converted this thread into a wiki and then when to Wiki tools > Protect this post
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.28.34 PM.png

Then I added you, so presumably, only you and I can edit the first post in this thread.
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.30.18 PM.png

Can you see if you are able to edit to confirm?

Pumbaa

Controversial Warthog
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Okay, let's test here. I converted this thread into a wiki and then when to Wiki tools > Protect this post
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.28.34 PM.png

Then I added you, so presumably, only you and I can edit the first post in this thread.
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.30.18 PM.png

Can you see if you are able to edit to confirm?
I might have accidentally unprotected everything. Or maybe just funny timing. :oops:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
While I can’t edit the first post, it appears I can edit the permissions to allow myself to edit it or remove other’s permissions to edit. Odd.

Edit: never mind it appears I can’t actually do that.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Eric I edited post 1, it asked me to add a reason. Now I went to edit again to see if I would see a record of the last change, but don’t see that. Is that something only the thread starter can see?

Add a reason is vague. It could describe a reason for a post, say “improve post” but not tell you what was changed unless you remember what was there before and read through the post, or you keep a copy of your post for reference. This is what I did with several of my MR threads, kept copies of them for reference and to protect them.

I assume protect freezes it from other editors or backs up the thread with a previous version?

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
While I can’t edit the first post, it appears I can edit the permissions to allow myself to edit it or remove other’s permissions to edit. Odd.

Edit: never mind it appears I can’t actually do that.
If you could I think the permissions are messed up. My understanding is that only the thread starter or maybe an admin should be able to change permissions as to who can edit a wiki post,

Pumbaa

Controversial Warthog
Vaccinated
Reaction score
If you could I think the permissions are messed up. My understanding is that only the thread starter or maybe an admin should be able to change permissions as to who can edit a wiki post,
After I went to WikiTools/Protect WikiPost earlier and selected “Anyone with the appropiate permissions“ instead of ’People from this list only” I got the wiki edit interface on the first post at least.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
After I went to WikiTools/Protect WikiPost earlier and selected “Anyone with the appropiate permissions“ instead of ’People from this list only” I got the wiki edit interface on the first post at least.
I can confirm this. That doesn't seem right lol.

OP
Eric

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I have an open dialogue with the developer, the problem seems to be that if I grant users the ability to created a new wiki, it also gives them the ability to change any thread on the entire forum into a wiki as well. We can't have this. I'll follow up.

MissNomer

Slightly imaginary
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I have an open dialogue with the developer, the problem seems to be that if I grant users the ability to created a new wiki, it also gives them the ability to change any thread on the entire forum into a wiki as well. We can't have this. I'll follow up.
That sounds like a bit of a…problem…

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here
Top Bottom