New Zealand PM wins big

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins second term in landslide election victory
...With 87% of the votes counted, Ardern's center-left Labour Party has won 48.9% of the vote, meaning her party looks likely to score the highest result that any party has achieved since the current political system was introduced in 1996.
Labour's main opposition, the center-right National Party, is on 27% -- down on last election's 44% and likely to be the party's worst result since 2002.

I have to confess not knowing much about NZ party policies, but based on Ardern’s handling of the coronavirus situation this sounds like a major victory for common sense.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Honestly, she has offered a blue print for exceptionally intelligent, empathetic, responsible, courageous and competent leadership during the period of this pandemic, and the fact that her electorate appear to recognise this, is entirely to their credit.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Honestly, she has offered a blue print for exceptionally intelligent, empathetic, responsible, courageous and competent leadership during the period of this pandemic, and the fact that her electorate appear to recognise this, is entirely to their credit.

That's where we're falling down in the USA at this point... or maybe only now starting to realize we're in the school of hard knocks.... regarding what leadership has been offered us as far as having the common sense to absorb good info from sources relying on scientific data. There's been way too much no-common-sense resistance to governors putting out mandates to wear masks. Not to mention people suddenly deciding for themselves that stores don't mean it when they comply with statewide mandates on masking and social distancing.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Honestly, this could give an American “country envy”. I want a country with a bright young leader, four political parties, and a population smart enough to do the right thing.

We could do worse than have more US journos like New Zealander Tova O'Brien. Her zinger of an interview with former National MP Jami-Lee Ross made me think that US Sunday talk shows could be shortened up a lot if more interviewers cut to the chase -- instead of letting Trump enablers ramble on their desperate effort to remain relevant.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1317602395761893378/

Top Bottom
1 2