"No, not that song!" intro to your favorite artists

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Assuming you only have one shot to sell somebody on one of your favorite artists, post the song you wish wasn't their intro. It doesn't have to be a bad song or their worst song, might have been a commercial hit at some point, but you feel it's not their best or most representative song or wouldn't inspire them to check out more by that artist

To start things off...

Nine Inch Nails - Head Like A Hole

Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

Coldplay - pretty much any of their early hits. I feel they've really changed for the better and their early hits made them the source of many jokes.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Coldplay - pretty much any of their early hits. I feel they've really changed for the better and their early hits made them the source of many jokes.

Yep.

1649423630051.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I want to ride my bicycle by Queen. Not my favourite or their best work.

Queen is pretty hard to pigeonhole or recommend a good intro song and expect to hear more of the same from there. Having said that, I can’t stand Bohemian Rhapsody, but from that point I guess if you can stomach that song then it should be pretty smooth sailing from there.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ha! Good topic.

Not sure - and not sure I'm sure - I agree with that NIN - Head Like A Hole suggestion, er, yeah, maybe, I guess if I was doing a first song pick from them, it would be March of the Pigs, Wish or maybe Hand That Feeds[?]

Yeah, this is a pretty cool exercise. I'm adding a feature, hahaha, I can fuck right off with that if it diverges from the original intent too much :D

I have a couple of easy ones, these are less the "not really the normal vibe of the artist" and more "WTSF ..."

Elton John - I'm still Standing
Recommended first listen: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road / Rocketman / Tiny Dancer

Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
Recommended first listen: is this even a debate? Piano Man

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Queen is pretty hard to pigeonhole or recommend a good intro song and expect to hear more of the same from there. Having said that, I can’t stand Bohemian Rhapsody, but from that point I guess if you can stomach that song then it should be pretty smooth sailing from there.

Most days I'll take Don't Stop Me Now / Somebody to Love / Killer Queen over Bohemian Rhapsody. Also a huge fan of Who Wants to Live Forever (from Highlander) and goddam if The Show Must Go On isn't one of the most beautiful, "OK, I'm done" moment in music, but I think I'd put them behind BH for a first listen.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha! Good topic.

Not sure - and not sure I'm sure - I agree with that NIN - Head Like A Hole suggestion, er, yeah, maybe, I guess if I was doing a first song pick from them, it would be March of the Pigs, Wish or maybe Hand That Feeds[?]

On kind of a NIN side tangent. Hurt cover – Johnny Cash. A lot of times NIN isn’t even given credit as the original artist and I think NIN’s version is actually better. I don’t really think the song inspires people to check out more by either artist, but it’s kind of the “OMG! So deep and emotional” praise that gets heaped on the JC version that grinds my gears, as if it’s so vastly more different, deep, and emotional than the original version. It isn’t.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Can’t stand Bohemian Rhapsody? You’re the exception.
It’s regularly voted the most popular song.
Personally my favourite is Who wants to live forever. Definitely the track I’ll have played at my funeral (if I have one).

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
There is some good Cheap Trick, but I think Voices is not the place to start.

Brian Eno is a genius, but I do not think Ambient 1: Music for Airports is how I would introduce someone to his stuff.

Born in the USA, just, no.

And ELO is mostly much better than Hold on Tight

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Had to add this after just witnessing a YouTube reaction video.

Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger.

Jesus fuck, has to be one of their worst and chessiest songs. Thanks Kanye.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very obvious ones:

B52s: Love Shack (The B52s are soooooooo underrated)

Grateful Dead: Touch of Gray

Top Bottom
1 2