Nothing’ Was In America Before White Colonizers Arrived

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Thought this guy was gone from the scene.

Voters can throw a jerk out of office but in modern times all that means is that he'll find a place to stir pots on mass media. I fault their bean counters for hiring these guys. Controversy sells papers and outrage over falsehoods mostly just jacks up ad revenue on TV.

U

User.191

Always pissed me off when you hear asshat Republicans whine on about “Traditional” marriage in America and how us uppity nasty gays are changing the definition of the word, or how gender has always been binary.

Apparently the indigenous people who lived here before us invaders moved in never got the memo and so had advanced concepts as the Navajo nádleehi or the Sioux winkte, or that the Aranu’tiq tribe that didn’t even give a shit about gender at all.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Always pissed me off when you hear asshat Republicans whine on about “Traditional” marriage in America and how us uppity nasty gays are changing the definition of the word, or how gender has always been binary.

Apparently the indigenous people who lived here before us invaders moved in never got the memo and so had advanced concepts as the Navajo nádleehi or the Sioux winkte, or that the Aranu’tiq tribe that didn’t even give a shit about gender at all.
And that’s the reason their primitive cultures failed and the colonizers with their superior traditional values prospered! /s

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
U

User.45

"Our DNA is, our right come from God".
He repeats that religion is in "our DNA as a nation", which is quite ironic from a life sciences perspective, as this very molecule redefined our concept of the genesis of humans and humanity. He refers to cultural and societal ideas to be "in our DNA", which makes the "there was nothing here before us" statements even more problematic. He either doesn't know what DNA is or what may be problematic with his use of words, or he does it on purpose as a dog whistle for racists. I honestly starting to have an increasingly difficult time telling whether these people are ignorant, or really white supremacists, so I usually look up their education. I think he's educated enough for me to conclude he is the latter.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
He either doesn't know what DNA is or what may be problematic with his use of words, or he does it on purpose as a dog whistle for racists.
He uses the term "DNA" to sound like he's being backed by science (when he isn't) in order to amplify the dog whistle.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
"Our DNA is, our right come from God".
He repeats that religion is in "our DNA as a nation", which is quite ironic from a life sciences perspective, as this very molecule redefined our concept of the genesis of humans and humanity. He refers to cultural and societal ideas to be "in our DNA", which makes the "there was nothing here before us" statements even more problematic. He either doesn't know what DNA is or what may be problematic with his use of words, or he does it on purpose as a dog whistle for racists. I honestly starting to have an increasingly difficult time telling whether these people are ignorant, or really white supremacists, so I usually look up their education. I think he's educated enough for me to conclude he is the latter.

Honestly at this point I think it’s the GOP and their media’s highest priority to make their constituents as insanely dumb as possible so that you wouldn’t even know where to begin deprogramming them, or at least that’s how I feel with some of my conservative friends post Trump. Prior to Trump we would have disagreements but now it’s like we aren’t even living on the same planet in the same century. In a way I have sympathy because I don’t know how I would take somebody going “Here’s the top ten lies your politicians and news media told you…in the last hour.” I wouldn’t think it would be possible for a well known and established news outlet to lie that much either. So I don’t know how to counter that.

U

User.45

1619648149314.png

This^

Santorum could have also said that genocide is in our DNA as a nation. This response is wonderful, BTW because with the same logic of "nothingness", we could say that there was no human driven mass extinction and mass pollution before the colonizers either, so Santorum should proudly take credit for that too.

Ah, the joys of playing race realism card.
Yup. My fave thing. TO quote someone else, classifying people by race is like slicing soup. The deeper we look at the DNA the more interesting and complex human history gets in terms of how we mixed with each other continuously. The only difference had been that Sub Saharan Africans were thought to have less Neanderthal DNA. The problem here is Sub Saharan African genomes were used as controls to look for Neanderthal genes, and as we learn more about these some of those did mix back to Africa. In addition, African Americans are a beautiful people who also carry many of the unsung stories of Native Americans in their DNA. I don't even want to mention how much of geographic names of the USA come from native Americans. Like Chicago, or Miami, or Minnesota, Manhattan, so on and so forth.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Yup. My fave thing. TO quote someone else, classifying people by race is like slicing soup.

What you're speaking of are the haplogroups, race realism is an an attempt to give a pseudoscientific gleam to bog standard racism to better justify it.

U

User.45

What you're speaking of are the haplogroups, race realism is an an attempt to give a pseudoscientific gleam to bog standard racism to better justify it.

Oh I know. The reason I brought up population genomics is that the moment you look under the hood you see a lot more complexity.

I'll give you some example. When I was a kid (around 7) I loved a book about the World. It listed everything about all countries, from flags to population to area, to highest elevation etc. I memorized a lot of it and I still remember some of the stats. This was an OLD book, that also showed different "human types". Of those you see the "Euripid," the "Negr(o)id," etc. I was little and I couldn't really express why this classification bugged me. It took me decades to grasp why. If Europeans used the same logic about themselves they would have named themselves "Albinoid". Sounds quite dehumanizing to me. "Luckily", by "accident", this term doesn't really exist.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh I know. The reason I brought up population genomics is that the moment you look under the hood you see a lot more complexity.

I'll give you some example. When I was a kid (around 7) I loved a book about the World. It listed everything about all countries, from flags to population to area, to highest elevation etc. I memorized a lot of it and I still remember some of the stats. This was an OLD book, that also showed different "human types". Of those you see the "Euripid," the "Negr(o)id," etc. I was little and I couldn't really express why this classification bugged me. It took me decades to grasp why. If Europeans used the same logic about themselves they would have named themselves "Albinoid". Sounds quite dehumanizing to me. "Luckily", by "accident", this term doesn't really exist.
But there was Caucasoid, which sound equally silly. Why do we no longer use it?

U

User.45

But there was Caucasoid, which sound equally silly. Why do we no longer use it?
Along those lines we could call Sub Saharan Africans Africanoids. :)
TBH if somebody calls me an N word, I'll call them an Albiner / Albinoid back with a smile reading I can latinize the shit out of you too, "friend".

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Along those lines we could call Sub Saharan Africans Africanoids. :)
TBH if somebody calls me an N word, I'll call them an Albiner / Albinoid back with a smile reading I can latinize the shit out of you too, "friend".
All of which reminds me of the Pizza Hut character who has recently returned - avoid the Noid!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Honestly at this point I think it’s the GOP and their media’s highest priority to make their constituents as insanely dumb as possible so that you wouldn’t even know where to begin deprogramming them, or at least that’s how I feel with some of my conservative friends post Trump. Prior to Trump we would have disagreements but now it’s like we aren’t even living on the same planet in the same century. In a way I have sympathy because I don’t know how I would take somebody going “Here’s the top ten lies your politicians and news media told you…in the last hour.” I wouldn’t think it would be possible for a well known and established news outlet to lie that much either. So I don’t know how to counter that.
The USA is facing a crisis, we maybe on our way to a civil war or maybe not. Many states have been seized by COT, the remnants of the GOP, they have broken bad, and are doing everything in their power to subvert laws, create new laws for the purpose of overthrowing elections. The move by Georgia to allow the legislature to over rule any election they don’t like the results of is a death knell to Democracy. And they want to say that would be legal. This challenge must go to the Supreme Court, and if it stands we’d have a situation where any majority party could perpetuate themselves as office holders by nullifying elections. I predict if allowed to stand, this will lead to physical conflict between the COT and everyone else, possibly a civil war.

Possibility 2, the COT/GOP collapses under the weight of it’s own corruption, because the upcoming younger generations outright reject them. The sooner that happens, the better but there will be an ongoing crisis as long as the anti-Democratic/fascist COT controls State legislatures. 👀

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The USA is facing a crisis, we maybe on our way to a civil war or maybe not. Many states have been seized by COT, the remnants of the GOP, they have broken bad, and are doing everything in their power to subvert laws, create new laws for the purpose of overthrowing elections. The move by Georgia to allow the legislature to over rule any election they don’t like the results of is a death knell to Democracy. And they want to say that would be legal. This challenge must go to the Supreme Court, and if it stands we’d have a situation where any majority party could perpetuate themselves as office holders by nullifying elections. I predict if allowed to stand, this will lead to physical conflict between the COT and everyone else, possibly a civil war.

Possibility 2, the COT/GOP collapses under the weight of it’s own corruption, because the upcoming younger generations outright reject them. The sooner that happens, the better but there will be an ongoing crisis as long as the anti-Democratic/fascist COT controls State legislatures. 👀

The GOP has nothing left but lies and fearmongering. In just the past week their news media and politicians were saying Biden is going to make everybody cut their red meat consumption by 90% and immigrants were receiving VP Harris’s book as part of a welcome package. Both are lies and were debunked, but for days these lies were spread and the damage is done. They can’t fight the Democrats or Biden on policy because the policy is either needed or popular.

Top Bottom
1 2