Nuvia: don’t hold your breath

Andropov

Vaccinated
Reaction score
I don't think their current offering is competitive enough for the Windows market to massively switch to ARM. Unless I'm missing something, the Snapdragon 888 (released late 2020) scores just 966 points in Geekbench 5 single core and 3044 in multicore... slower than Apple's A12 or Intel's i3-8200U.

At least they use a lot less power. But it's going to be difficult to pull off a 70% increase in performance in 2-3 years (to match current M1 performance).

OP
Cmaier

Cmaier

Site Champ
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think their current offering is competitive enough for the Windows market to massively switch to ARM. Unless I'm missing something, the Snapdragon 888 (released late 2020) scores just 966 points in Geekbench 5 single core and 3044 in multicore... slower than Apple's A12 or Intel's i3-8200U.

At least they use a lot less power. But it's going to be difficult to pull off a 70% increase in performance in 2-3 years (to match current M1 performance).
Well, I have to assume they aren’t basing this new thing in any way on their existing designs. It’s probably going to have a microarchitecture similar to M1, with wide issue.

Questionable what they do for GPU, of course. And almost certainly not a unified memory architecture.

From their perspective, if you expect to just be supplying one SoC and there is going to be a separate GPU, RAM, etc., you can crank up the clock speeds well past what M1 does and trade off some power consumption to try and make up for any microarchitecture deficiencies.

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Advanced Micro Devices has built ARM devices in the past, have they not? What is the possibility that they might try playing both sides of the fence?

OP
Cmaier

Cmaier

Site Champ
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Advanced Micro Devices has built ARM devices in the past, have they not? What is the possibility that they might try playing both sides of the fence?

I know we had an architecture license, but we never used it when I was there. I think maybe after I left there was something?

Top Bottom