Oct 18 Apple Event

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Assuming they announce two sizes, a pair of new size options, 14" and a 16", or even just a new 13" plus the standard 15", I wonder if there will be any notable performance difference?

In the Intel days, the larger MBP had faster CPU/GPU options, so often times you had to go bigger/heavier/less-portable to get the most performance (some was thermal considerations for the case / some was just product placement).

Now with ASi / M-series products, there's less variation, if any, in the implementation between two different machines. For example: the M1 MBA vs. the M1 MBP, assuming the former with the 8-core GPU option, the M1 package (as I understand it) is the same, the MBP just has active cooling/fans, so it has more thermal headroom vs. the MBA, so loses less performance over time (under load). Of course the MBP model also has other non-processor improvements (or deficits, depending on your like/dislike of the Touch Bar :D)

I believe the M1 based Mini is also the same M1 specification.

But anyway, this will be super interesting. I suppose they could run the M<TBD> in the larger chassis faster (not unlike the Intel situation), or offer additional cores - I'm not sure from a fabrication standpoint if that even makes business sense.

__If__ it was the same M package, that would be interesting in that it's just a matter of the size of the machine. Heck for me, where I would rarely use the display, I'd take the smaller size (assuming I don't wind up with another Mini).
Pretty sure performance between the 14” and 16” will be identical. For all intents and purposes they have the same thermals (because Apple’s silicon is so much cooler than Intel’s, the additional space of the 16“ makes little difference).

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Pretty sure performance between the 14” and 16” will be identical. For all intents and purposes they have the same thermals (because Apple’s silicon is so much cooler than Intel’s, the additional space of the 16“ makes little difference).
Hope you’re right. Would be nice to have a smaller laptop with the same performance and not be forced to get the big one.

Not that I’m getting one this year, but still, for the future! If they make the larger one beefier this time they’ll never stop.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I figured as much based on what we've seen with the M1 (and predicted TDP, etc.), and I don't think[?] they'd create some artificial configuration differences, like the 16" having a 64GB RAM option where the 14" only has a 32GB max option. Assuming the performance and internal configurations are all the same - I wonder if there will be __any__ difference between the two outside of display size/res.

Ports? Maybe the larger chassis would support 4-6 vs. the smaller supporting 2-4? 2 vs. 4 speakers? I keep reading about the possibility of an SD slot making an appearance again, wonder if something like that would be exclusive to the 16" model, which of course will send people into a tailspin ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What's the current WOTS about the Touch Bar? Gone? Optional?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I figured as much based on what we've seen with the M1 (and predicted TDP, etc.), and I don't think[?] they'd create some artificial configuration differences, like the 16" having a 64GB RAM option where the 14" only has a 32GB max option. Assuming the performance and internal configurations are all the same - I wonder if there will be __any__ difference between the two outside of display size/res.

Ports? Maybe the larger chassis would support 4-6 vs. the smaller supporting 2-4? 2 vs. 4 speakers? I keep reading about the possibility of an SD slot making an appearance again, wonder if something like that would be exclusive to the 16" model, which of course will send people into a tailspin ...
I for one would be perfectly fine with the larger laptops sporting more ports, fancier speakers, things like that. Wouldn’t jump off a cliff screaming and spinning my tail, as long as the smaller alternative have a usable set.

Can’t imagine the SD slot making a comeback. Wouldn’t mind being wrong about that, though.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I havent' ever used a Touch Bar equipped Mac personally, but I always thought they would've ended up being a little more popular if they placed them above the function keys, rather than replacing them entirely.

Oh well. C'est la vie.

The problem is they have no taptics, and just barely brushing the bar triggers functions. So if you type very fast and your fingers are flying around, you are doomed.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
The problem is they have no taptics, and just barely brushing the bar triggers functions. So if you type very fast and your fingers are flying around, you are doomed.

Considering Apple's reputation for fretting the small details, you'd think they would have picked up on that.

...but then again, they did apparently go through a phase where they made a number of stupid decisions concerning their keyboards, so I guess it was par for the course.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Considering Apple's reputation for fretting the small details, you'd think they would have picked up on that.

...but then again, they did apparently go through a phase where they made a number of stupid decisions concerning their keyboards, so I guess it was par for the course.

Yep. The 2016 MBP ushered in 3 years of badness.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I’m really hoping for a “Mac Mini Pro”

That's what I'm hoping for as well.

Given all the rumors of a redesigned Mac Mini that have been floated about over the last 6 months, it wouldn't surprise me if one shows up.
What are you hoping to see in a Mac Mini Pro?

Basically the same as the regular one but beefier? More ports? Upgradable storage? Slot for dGPU? Reality distortion field generator?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Basically the same as the regular one but beefier? More ports? Upgradable storage? Slot for dGPU? Reality distortion field generator?

Definitely the reality distortion field. I want to love my new Mac unconditionally.

But seriously, I'm primarily hoping for a 32 GB RAM option, and whatever performance boosts come along with the rumored M1X chip.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
What are you hoping to see in a Mac Mini Pro?

Bigger than a mini, more ports and more upgrade options, without being a $$$$$$ Mac Pro. I realize this is a dream that will never happen.

Top Bottom
1 2