Oct 18 Apple Event

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very much looking forward to opening my wallet on Oct. 18 and finally replacing my 2016 15”MBP with busted keyboard. Also looking forward to seeing what the processor looks like. Whisperers whisper to me that it is based on the same cores as the A15 (avalanche), and not the A14, but things are so compartmentalized in whisper-tino that anything is possible. I’ll take 8 firestorm cores and 2 icestorm cores if that’s what Apple wants to give me.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We're traveling that day - I think we'll be on the road by 1p EST - maybe I'll just listen to the audio :)

My current machine (work and personal use) is an '18 Mac Mini (32GB/512/i7) and it has been pretty terrific, runs almost 24/7 and rarely has any issues. My main problem, was sketchy BT connectivity, I disabled the onboard BT and I'm using an external BT dongle (in a port on my KB), and that's been a complete fix now for well over a year.

I generally have dozens of apps open, several development tools, multiple browsers (gaggles of tabs :D), communication apps, lots of local services (to support development), Containers, a VM, and it barely warms up. I run it without the bottom cover sitting on a large, multi-speed fan which definitely knocked off a few °C

That being said, as you know, the GPU performance is pretty weak, that's where the M1 based Mini just kills this machine. I use two displays, but I went with 25" QHDs knowing the '18 Mini was a little strained to drive two 27-30" 4K displays, so that would be part of my update, new larger, higher-res/better PPI displays.

I thought the initial Mini M1 product wasn't quite enough machine, I wanted a 32GB RAM option, a few more ports, and, I wasn't in a rush as I haven't quite sorted out the Winders™ based work I do. Some things I've migrated to cloud services (a couple of AWS RDS instances), other things, I could just fire one of my rack machines back up, maybe do a few component updates (they're both still running spinning drives). You know, just some general workflow type considerations in moving from Intel to AS.

I __might__ also switch back to a notebook. Before the Mini, I had only used MBPs, but I got to where I had no need for a "travel machine", and I kind of liked the idea that work takes place at my desk, and when I'm not there, I'm not working (vs. "Hey, I can alway lug my work with me!")

I was still on a 2015 15" MBP before the Mini, it was a recall machine, I got the free battery (and top plate, trackpad) replacement, sold it for $750 after 4 solid years, traveling dozens of times between coasts, generating some, let's say, some decent cash flow :) Heck, it was a freebie from a previous business partner ("Can you make the trip a few times this month?", "I can, I need a new machine for the road", "OK, just ordered you a new MBP")

But recently, having a little portability has come up again, not for travel really, just for more freedom vs. being stuck at the desk.

We'll see, and a new Mini might not even be on deck, though I'd be surprised if the new generations of M1X/M2/M<something> machines didn't include an update to that machine as well.

Hahaha, sorry, that's a little rambly, not quite firing on all cylinders this morning.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Will miss the event due to a No Time to Die screening, haven’t decided yet if I’ll avoid spoilers and watch the event later or just skip it.

Given the rumors so far I think my wallet will survive the event.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I might watch it. Might not. My want/need for a new Mac is over since I’ve now finished all the data intense parts of my research and should be finished by the end of November. My 2019 MBP will last a good long time.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Mine probably won't. If the rumored M1x Mac Mini ends up being true, and the performance is as good as expected, there's a very high chance I'll end up buying one.
If I didn’t already have a M1ni that would for sure have put my wallet at risk.

Very nice little machine, it is quiet and does what I need it to do in a timely manner. Can’t realistically imagine anything that would make me upgrade already.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I’ll watch something after the event. I’m in the market to upgrade, having kept my 2011 MBP limping along.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I *could* upgrade my Gen 2 AirPods, but both them and my first gen have suffered from the "stops seating properly in the case" issue. I suppose this is because I've used them while running and got sweat on them. I've now been using a pair of Cleer buds and a pair of Aftershokz and, if I'm not running with them, I don't really have much of a use for a new pair of AirPods that may give out after a year. Maybe I'll bite if they up the IPxx number.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
We're traveling that day - I think we'll be on the road by 1p EST - maybe I'll just listen to the audio :)

My current machine (work and personal use) is an '18 Mac Mini (32GB/512/i7) and it has been pretty terrific, runs almost 24/7 and rarely has any issues. My main problem, was sketchy BT connectivity, I disabled the onboard BT and I'm using an external BT dongle (in a port on my KB), and that's been a complete fix now for well over a year.

I generally have dozens of apps open, several development tools, multiple browsers (gaggles of tabs :D), communication apps, lots of local services (to support development), Containers, a VM, and it barely warms up. I run it without the bottom cover sitting on a large, multi-speed fan which definitely knocked off a few °C

That being said, as you know, the GPU performance is pretty weak, that's where the M1 based Mini just kills this machine. I use two displays, but I went with 25" QHDs knowing the '18 Mini was a little strained to drive two 27-30" 4K displays, so that would be part of my update, new larger, higher-res/better PPI displays.

I thought the initial Mini M1 product wasn't quite enough machine, I wanted a 32GB RAM option, a few more ports, and, I wasn't in a rush as I haven't quite sorted out the Winders™ based work I do. Some things I've migrated to cloud services (a couple of AWS RDS instances), other things, I could just fire one of my rack machines back up, maybe do a few component updates (they're both still running spinning drives). You know, just some general workflow type considerations in moving from Intel to AS.

I __might__ also switch back to a notebook. Before the Mini, I had only used MBPs, but I got to where I had no need for a "travel machine", and I kind of liked the idea that work takes place at my desk, and when I'm not there, I'm not working (vs. "Hey, I can alway lug my work with me!")

I was still on a 2015 15" MBP before the Mini, it was a recall machine, I got the free battery (and top plate, trackpad) replacement, sold it for $750 after 4 solid years, traveling dozens of times between coasts, generating some, let's say, some decent cash flow :) Heck, it was a freebie from a previous business partner ("Can you make the trip a few times this month?", "I can, I need a new machine for the road", "OK, just ordered you a new MBP")

But recently, having a little portability has come up again, not for travel really, just for more freedom vs. being stuck at the desk.

We'll see, and a new Mini might not even be on deck, though I'd be surprised if the new generations of M1X/M2/M<something> machines didn't include an update to that machine as well.

Hahaha, sorry, that's a little rambly, not quite firing on all cylinders this morning.
My interest in getting a new Mini has been lost because of the consistent BT issues I've had with 2012 & 2018 ones. So much that it made me want to finally get that iMac I always dreamed of, and instead Apple gave me pastel colored machines that looked like giant horizontal iPads on a stand.

Unless the new Mini is crazy looking thing with a documented BT improvement, I can't see going there again yet. Since new iMacs aren't on the supposed horizon this year, it makes a slick looking new MacBook Pro appealing with the my pile of gift cards here ready to cover almost half the costs. So I may try the docked life for a portable machine that actually doesn't go anywhere. 😖

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I *could* upgrade my Gen 2 AirPods, but both them and my first gen have suffered from the "stops seating properly in the case" issue. I suppose this is because I've used them while running and got sweat on them. I've now been using a pair of Cleer buds and a pair of Aftershokz and, if I'm not running with them, I don't really have much of a use for a new pair of AirPods that may give out after a year. Maybe I'll bite if they up the IPxx number.

The major reason why I'll never buy a pair of AirPods is because they look like they'd be easily misplaced, or lost between couch cushions. I don't want to pay $200 for something I know I'll lose in a month.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The major reason why I'll never buy a pair of AirPods is because they look like they'd be easily misplaced, or lost between couch cushions. I don't want to pay $200 for something I know I'll lose in a month.
As someone who has Airpods Pro and Beats Buds, I think you may discover when they cost that much, you tend to do a pretty good job of keeping track of them. The only time I've ever lost track of one, is when an Airpod fell out of my left ear in New York city, and I scrambled around looking for where it bounced. It's what led me to get the Beats, because the fit is more secure for me personally.

Supposedly new Airpods will be taking some of that design.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
As someone who has Airpods Pro and Beats Buds, I think you may discover when they cost that much, you tend to do a pretty good job of keeping track of them. The only time I've ever lost track of one, is when an Airpod fell out of my left ear in New York city, and I scrambled around looking for where it bounced. It's what led me to get the Beats, because the fit is more secure for me personally.

Supposedly new Airpods will be taking some of that design.

Knowing my luck, the same thing would happen to me, and they'd end up falling down a storm drain.

I just like good old fashioned headsets. They're big, bulky, and you look goofy wearing them, but when they're on your head, they're there to stay.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Knowing my luck, the same thing would happen to me, and they'd end up falling down a storm drain.

I just like good old fashioned headsets. They're big, bulky, and you look goofy wearing them, but when they're on your head, they're there to stay.
As I said though, they may take the Beats Buds design, which others have already been doing. Because it is a surprisingly secure fit.

With those if you do lose them, I imagine it's the same reasons for bobbling 'old fashion headsets'. Only a cord would save you from losing them. The drawback of course is the cord, which is why so many of us enjoy wireless headphones. No scratch noises as cords rub against you. No cords getting caught on something, yanking the headset off of you. Etc.

Like the fit of Apple designed headphones wired or wireless, it's all an individual thing.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
A beefed up Mac Mini would be really tempting. I would need at least a 32GB option. I would be torn between that or waiting for a new 27" iMac (maybe even that rumored Mac Pro Mini).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My interest in getting a new Mini has been lost because of the consistent BT issues I've had with 2012 & 2018 ones. So much that it made me want to finally get that iMac I always dreamed of, and instead Apple gave me pastel colored machines that looked like giant horizontal iPads on a stand.

Unless the new Mini is crazy looking thing with a documented BT improvement, I can't see going there again yet. Since new iMacs aren't on the supposed horizon this year, it makes a slick looking new MacBook Pro appealing with the my pile of gift cards here ready to cover almost half the costs. So I may try the docked life for a portable machine that actually doesn't go anywhere. 😖

FWIW, the external BT dongle just fixed it, no issues, IOGear GBU521, ~$15, one change to VRAM, done.

A mostly docked notebook worked great for me, even with my past travel, my notebooks have been docked like 95% of the time, always use an external KB/mouse, two external displays. I went Mini this time around because it saved about $1000 over roughly the same config, and the Mini seemed to have better thermal management. But of course, I can't on a whim take my Mini up into the bedroom ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Funny, we've been on an AirPod hunt for the last two days. The little G misplaced them, we were 99% sure it was in the house, the problem is even with Find My, there's some AirPod behaviors where they just check-the-fuck-out, so they were not even showing up at the house ("No Location Found"), and she knew they were in the case, but then (at least for her first gen), the "sound alert" doesn't work.

I gave her an AirTag but the case was like a luggage style, so it was kind of flopping around, but that would've totally let us find them in the case.

They did eventually turn up (pocket of a hoodie ...), and I ordered this today:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Definitely looking forward to Monday's presentation and announcements! I will be getting one of the new MBPs, am very interested in what the specs will be. Probably I won't buy one immediately, maybe will wait a few months, let the initial bugs be fixed if there are any.....

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
+1 for the new Mac Mini - really hope it has everything I want to be my next HTPC (but it's taken about a month to get the girlfriend used to the Apple TV - think I'll have a fight on my hands to give her a new UI to deal with) :D Want my keyboard / trackpad back on the coffee table - and I'll retire the MacBook from the kitchen island. :)

AirPods 3 are my other highly-awaited item. I have the original AirPods - replaced one of them already as the battery died, held off replacing the other for the last few months for the same reason (ie - I'm no longer using them) - which is a major disadvantage when I'm working from home. Love using them for conference calls!!!

Likely be buying AP3's for the girlfriend and myself (she lost her AP1's).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Assuming they announce two sizes, a pair of new size options, 14" and a 16", or even just a new 13" plus the standard 15", I wonder if there will be any notable performance difference?

In the Intel days, the larger MBP had faster CPU/GPU options, so often times you had to go bigger/heavier/less-portable to get the most performance (some was thermal considerations for the case / some was just product placement).

Now with ASi / M-series products, there's less variation, if any, in the implementation between two different machines. For example: the M1 MBA vs. the M1 MBP, assuming the former with the 8-core GPU option, the M1 package (as I understand it) is the same, the MBP just has active cooling/fans, so it has more thermal headroom vs. the MBA, so loses less performance over time (under load). Of course the MBP model also has other non-processor improvements (or deficits, depending on your like/dislike of the Touch Bar :D)

I believe the M1 based Mini is also the same M1 specification.

But anyway, this will be super interesting. I suppose they could run the M<TBD> in the larger chassis faster (not unlike the Intel situation), or offer additional cores - I'm not sure from a fabrication standpoint if that even makes business sense.

__If__ it was the same M package, that would be interesting in that it's just a matter of the size of the machine. Heck for me, where I would rarely use the display, I'd take the smaller size (assuming I don't wind up with another Mini).

Top Bottom
1 2