One million Americans have already cast 2020 vote in ‘historic’ early voting surge

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think there are a lot of people who care about America, which will drive record turnout this year and a massive rebuke of Trump and his enablers.
Agreed. Trump sowing so much doubt seems like it's driving turnout from those who may have otherwise sat it out.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I hope they're not voting early. But there are no guarantees.

I'm feeling a little better about Biden's chances, though, what with the polls, the early voting, and now Trump's tax revelations. Here's hoping the Republicans are discouraged and stay home on election day.

From your lips to gods’ ears.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Happy and proud here to be able to announce that this afternoon I went to the satellite early voting location (the local branch of the county public library) and cast my vote! I joined about one hundred or so of my fellow citizens in this electoral district standing in line around the exterior perimeters of the library building, and all of us were masked as well as trying to be careful to maintain appropriate social distance. The line moved along fairly smoothly and more people kept coming in at the end as those of us already there kept moving forward. It was a gorgeous afternoon, so no problem standing around for about an hour and a half outdoors! I played with my iPad for a while and from time to time gazed around at my fellow citizens as we were moving forward, from the rear of the building to in front of it at last, then let into the lobby two-by-two and in that area went through the initial careful procedures set up to both accommodate the voting requirements and the COVID-19 precautions and procedures before proceeding to the library's large meeting room where there were a few more verification steps before then being handed the actual ballot. There were both tables at which one could sit and booths at which one could stand in order to read and fill in the appropriate tabs beside each name/category with either a blue or black pen. I used my own pen rather than one of theirs. Sticking the document into the scanner was the final step and, "Congratulations! You have voted!" came up on the screen. Big smile here! :). Did my part to hammer another little nail into the "coffin" representing the end of the Orange Man's unreal, totally mind-boggling presence in the White House, hopefully putting an end to what we, the American people, have painfully endured for the past four years.

They had curbside voting available for the disabled and elderly who couldn't have stood in line, and they also had a ballot drop box available outside the library (with an attendant) for those who had filled out their absentee/early ballot at home and who had brought it to the site. Plenty of staff around to make sure all procedures were followed correctly and to answer any questions or concerns someone might have. This is a highly multicultural area so ballots were available in various languages, as needed, as were the instructions on sheets handed out ahead of time to those who wanted to review the sample ballots before going into the voting area. All seemed to be working smoothly and efficiently, which of course is extremely important.

After I voted, although when I first arrived, before getting in line I had already dropped the book I was returning into the book drop on the exterior of the building, I still just had to go in to the library proper afterwards -- the lure of a library is just irresistible to me -- and although I've still got several books at home to read, I picked out a couple more.

I miss those cool "I Voted!" stickers we used to get, so I'm happy to have the digital version on here! :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Happy and proud here to be able to announce that this afternoon I went to the satellite early voting location (the local branch of the county public library) and cast my vote! I joined about one hundred or so of my fellow citizens in this electoral district standing in line around the exterior perimeters of the library building, and all of us were masked as well as trying to be careful to maintain appropriate social distance. The line moved along fairly smoothly and more people kept coming in at the end as those of us already there kept moving forward. It was a gorgeous afternoon, so no problem standing around for about an hour and a half outdoors! I played with my iPad for a while and from time to time gazed around at my fellow citizens as we were moving forward, from the rear of the building to in front of it at last, then let into the lobby two-by-two and in that area went through the initial careful procedures set up to both accommodate the voting requirements and the COVID-19 precautions and procedures before proceeding to the library's large meeting room where there were a few more verification steps before then being handed the actual ballot. There were both tables at which one could sit and booths at which one could stand in order to read and fill in the appropriate tabs beside each name/category with either a blue or black pen. I used my own pen rather than one of theirs. Sticking the document into the scanner was the final step and, "Congratulations! You have voted!" came up on the screen. Big smile here! :). Did my part to hammer another little nail into the "coffin" representing the end of the Orange Man's unreal, totally mind-boggling presence in the White House, hopefully putting an end to what we, the American people, have painfully endured for the past four years.

They had curbside voting available for the disabled and elderly who couldn't have stood in line, and they also had a ballot drop box available outside the library (with an attendant) for those who had filled out their absentee/early ballot at home and who had brought it to the site. Plenty of staff around to make sure all procedures were followed correctly and to answer any questions or concerns someone might have. This is a highly multicultural area so ballots were available in various languages, as needed, as were the instructions on sheets handed out ahead of time to those who wanted to review the sample ballots before going into the voting area. All seemed to be working smoothly and efficiently, which of course is extremely important.

After I voted, although when I first arrived, before getting in line I had already dropped the book I was returning into the book drop on the exterior of the building, I still just had to go in to the library proper afterwards -- the lure of a library is just irresistible to me -- and although I've still got several books at home to read, I picked out a couple more.

I miss those cool "I Voted!" stickers we used to get, so I'm happy to have the digital version on here! :)
Excellent, this is a great story and a good example of how people are actually interested in participating. I have a good friend who has never voted in his life and this time around we got him registered and he's happy to be voting, he also gave me cash and asked me to donate it to Biden on his behalf.

I don't think Biden is necessarily an electrified candidate but he's likable, honest and will get us back on track. However, a referendum on Trump is what really seems to be driving turnout, as appears to be the case with you as well. Here's to hoping we get back to some sense of normalcy in 2021.

Also, yes, way to rock the I Voted badge here :)

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
...I don't think Biden is necessarily an electrified candidate but he's likable, honest and will get us back on track.
When my wife and I dropped off our ballots, she said "I'd vote for a cheese sandwich before I'd vote for Trump."

I like that in Ohio we can look up our ballot to make sure it was received.

4C3652EC-1249-4466-AE40-18B8ADAD34EF.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I always liked Joe Biden, back in the days when he was VP to Barack Obama, and right, he's not the most electrifying and exciting candidate for president, and he's no spring chicken, that's for sure, but he is a darned sight better than the alternative and if nothing else, he does have good solid experience behind him. I also like Kamala Harris as the running mate, as I think she is a savvy woman who has a whole lot to offer this country in a nationwide leadership role.

I daresay that you are right on the money that this particular election year is moving forward so vigorously in the voting process because, yeah, a lot of people have belatedly realized that, hey, there was a huge mistake made four years ago and we need to fix this, and right now. I spotted a couple of friends and neighbors in the line today, chatted with one briefly, and a friend who had already voted rode past us on her bicycle, waving and cheering everyone on..... People are getting interested in this election process with so much more enthusiasm and sense of urgency than I ever remember seeing in years past.....

We have a fair amount of days and times from the start earlier in the month for early voting to the end of the period, and it is really telling that there are already so many people out there lining up to do it RIGHT NOW..... Yesterday was the first day that the satellite voting facilities were available and already they've been very, very busy both yesterday and today. Prior to that the main county electoral office facility has had lines each and every day. People aren't waiting, they are getting out there to let their wishes be known......

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I always liked Joe Biden, back in the days when he was VP to Barack Obama, and right, he's not the most electrifying and exciting candidate for president, and he's no spring chicken, that's for sure, but he is a darned sight better than the alternative and if nothing else, he does have good solid experience behind him. I also like Kamala Harris as the running mate, as I think she is a savvy woman who has a whole lot to offer this country in a nationwide leadership role.

I daresay that you are right on the money that this particular election year is moving forward so vigorously in the voting process because, yeah, a lot of people have belatedly realized that, hey, there was a huge mistake made four years ago and we need to fix this, and right now. I spotted a couple of friends and neighbors in the line today, chatted with one briefly, and a friend who had already voted rode past us on her bicycle, waving and cheering everyone on..... People are getting interested in this election process with so much more enthusiasm and sense of urgency than I ever remember seeing in years past.....

We have a fair amount of days and times from the start earlier in the month for early voting to the end of the period, and it is really telling that there are already so many people out there lining up to do it RIGHT NOW..... Yesterday was the first day that the satellite voting facilities were available and already they've been very, very busy both yesterday and today. Prior to that the main county electoral office facility has had lines each and every day. People aren't waiting, they are getting out there to let their wishes be known......
Agreed, I don't think the flood of early voters bodes well for the Republican party, it should worry them.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I hope it DOES worry the Republicans, as well it should!!!! Their candidate is totally nuts and round the bend and has no more business being in office than one of the orangutans at the local zoo!

In answer to AFB, no poll results yet, it's too early for that, but the very fact that people are heading to the polls in record numbers for this early in the election period definitely suggests that they are not exactly voting to keep the Orange Man in office....

Also, though, to be fair, this is the first election year in which many states, Virginia included, have eased up on the early-voting / absentee voting requirements, so that now anyone can vote early, they no longer have to have specific reasons for doing so, and undoubtedly that, too, makes a difference in all of this.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I hope it DOES worry the Republicans, as well it should!!!! Their candidate is totally nuts and round the bend and has no more business being in office than one of the orangutans at the local zoo!

In answer to AFB, no poll results yet, it's too early for that, but the very fact that people are heading to the polls in record numbers for this early in the election period definitely suggests that they are not exactly voting to keep the Orange Man in office....
Let it be so!!!!!

Top Bottom
1 2