Open mic racism heard at girlsā€™ basketball game

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I wonder if a grown adult comfortable with using racial slurs in public is not an ideal choice to be an announcer for high schools sports teams with people of color?

This sort of behaviour comes from an internalised (and sometimes, shockingly, deeply unconscious) belief that some human beings (such as women, people of colour - and, in the case of this particular story, these two categories intersect - gay people, and those who are less well off) are thought to be of less worth than others.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
This happens all the time when people don't think others are listening or when they're behind closed doors.

Well for the past four or five years it's been more like some don't even care if the door's open or the mic is hot because they figure the Audience of One in the former administration had made dog-whistled back-porch racism unnecessary by whistling it right up into the parlor as if perfectly acceptable.

And... I'm surprised there's anything left to wear down of that shopworn "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" non-apology when some of it comes to light, accidentally or on purpose. That's unacceptable too. There need to be consequences when people in a position to influence others make casual racism seem acceptable. Not sure those guys even apoogized but I'm glad they don't get to finish the sportscasting gig they were contracted to do during the Oklahoma state tournament.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
This sort of behaviour comes from an internalised (and sometimes, shockingly, deeply unconscious) belief that some human beings (such as women, people of colour - and, in the case of this particular story, these two categories intersect - gay people, and those who are less well off) are thought to be of less worth than others.

It's weird to me in this case. You would think being an announcer and being around players of various races for however many years, he would have eventually come to question his own nonsense.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if a grown adult comfortable with using racial slurs in public is not an ideal choice to be an announcer for high school sports teams with people of color?
Ya think?
This happens all the time when people don't think others are listening or when they're behind closed doors.
This is where we need cancel culture.

U

User.45

Top Bottom
1 2