Open season on Trump?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Imagine if they were actually competent at this whole coup thing

If we are reaching for Nazi parallels, or imagery, (and I think it warranted, or valid, to do so, now), my fear, or nightmare, is that the events of last week may suggest - or, call to mind, - an uncomfortable echo redolent of events in Munich in 1923.

That ceased to be funny within a decade.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Imagine if they were actually competent at this whole coup thing
It feels like it was just too damn close. We like to think that RW-stupid created a sort of balance effect that prevented them from succeeding, kind of like how, ultimately, the NSDAP failed by putting their faith in a sly fool. But I am not sure we can rely on that balance metric to be consistent. We need to adjust the dynamic of power to make situations like this not tenable.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Uh, okay... pretty much like the raw footage that a foreign terrorist takes to edit later and use as internal critiques, recruitment and training videos.

Meanwhile if someone is thinking to double down on the "drill" that was 1/6, I would suggest they have a look at how things have changed in the meantime .. and that's just if they ever managed to get past perimeter defenses which are definitely different this week compared to last. Anyway inside the Capitol now there are a whole of National Guardsmen and their water, food and other supplies.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1349386390291828744/

Some are saying they are backing off DC for obvious reasons and will hit the state capitols on inauguration day, unless they are thwarted by their ingenious covert ops technique of posting it on their Facebook page well in advance. Didn't seem to stop them on 1/6 but I think the feds might be on to them now. Maybe.

Wait, oh my God!!!!! Who's checking Craigslist?!?!? Anyone??

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
That photo reminds of a report from somebody present when Trump was watching things unfold on TV that he was complaining about the optics, the people appearing to be too low class.

Heh spoken like the true projection artist Trump is. But that photo is more than alarming and it's not about how they're dressed. Boebert needs to be on a no fly list, not just short of her glock.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
That photo reminds of a report from somebody present when Trump was watching things unfold on TV that he was complaining about the optics, the people appearing to be too low class.

I saw that reported last week - that Mr Trump had complained about how "low class" his supporters who had invaded the Capitol appeared to be - while watching the whole thing unfold live on TV.

My brother raised it when we were chatting about this, later, commenting, "it says everything about Trump, doesn't it, that this is what he concentrates on....", especially havng incited, egged on, and primed his thugs (white middle class and otherwise) to storm the Capitol.

People seem to have forgotten that he had stated that he would be "with them" when they set off, but, of course, needless to say, he had long scarpered to the safety, security, and sanctuary of the White House by the time things turned ugly.

U

User.45

People seem to have forgotten that he had stated that he would be "with them" when they set off, but, of course, needless to say, he had long scarpered to the safety, security, and sanctuary of the White House by the time things turned ugly.
Yup, I've been laughing at that ever since.

Heh spoken like the true projection artist Trump is.

My exact thoughts listening to Boebert:
1610585807811.png

The difference is, people who'll survive more than a few months of a political career do this strategically, but she just lacks insight this much. She's like the drunk person who's looking for a fight, and is best managed by watching her shit unravel from a distance with some schadenfreude.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
(Individual-ONE) had complained about how "low class" his supporters who had invaded the Capitol appeared to be
This is a nail.
It needs to be hammered on,
relentlessly.

I got curious about impeachments.
  • Andrew Johnson was impeached primarily for appointing an Acting Secretary of War, because Congress had passed a law that a post could not be so filled (the Secretary would have to hold the office until a replacement could be approved by the Senate).
  • Action undertaken against Nixon pertained to spying on his political opponents.
  • Clinton was impeached for lying about oral sex with an employee
  • Individual-ONE was impeached for trying to get dirt on his expected political opponent
  • Individual-ONE was impeached for encouraging his followers to overturn the election of his political opponent
Note the thread: Republicans got in trouble for trying to mess with their opponents (election-related stuff) whereas Democrats got in trouble for other, unrelated things (the law that served the foundation of Johnson's impeachment, the Tenure Act, later died in the courts).

The other funny thing: Andrew Johnson never had a VP (I am not sure if they had even figured out how to go about that), which means, if he had been convicted, the Speaker of the House would take his place (which may have affected some Senators' votes). The Speaker at the time was Schuyler Colfax, who subsequently served for 4 years as Grant's VP. So close, for so long, poor guy.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I don't mean to be a rabble rouser, but I don't believe that it's the end of this saga.

I hope that the more centrist Trump voters can turn back to start seeing some sense, but this sort of stuff troubles me. This is the new message that is now being repeated by the usual detestable bunch. They haven't learned a thing. Do they not realise what they are doing, or are they doing this on purpose? We saw some of it during the impeachment debate yesterday too.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1349461154846879748/

Oh, I don't think for one minute that this is the end of the saga.

Rather, it is simply one stage of this saga, a scene (extraordinarily dramatic and tense, granted, but a scene, not an act) in a play, a stark but compelling red line that a number of Republicans - some rather belatedly - decided that they wouldn't, or couldn't, or shouldn't, cross.

U

User.45

I don't mean to be a rabble rouser, but I don't believe that it's the end of this saga.

I hope that the more centrist Trump voters can turn back and start seeing some sense, but this sort of stuff troubles me. This is the message that is now being repeated by the usual detestable bunch. They haven't learned a thing. They continue to preach divisive sermons whilst talking about unity with the next breath. Man up and taking some accountability for once in your lives. Do they not realise what they are doing, or are they doing this on purpose? We saw more of it during the impeachment debate yesterday too.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1349461154846879748/
They are doing it on purpose with the perception that it's OK as long as they have control over it.
Democrats spent 4 years crying about election security with the GOP brushing it off, but NOW they are the election security party?!:D
"Standard political hyperbole" is fine as long as they do it. It becomes the problem when the "radical left wing ANTIFA extremists" do it.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
Oh, I don't think for one minute that this is the end of the saga.
Do you even remember the beginning of the saga? The thing that happened in January of 2016, forty days of stupid that presaged four years of stupid. Yeah, this is far from over. It will take at least three years just to tamp down all the magatude to a tolerable infection that we can treat with the proper medication.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Do you even remember the beginning of the saga? The thing that happened in January of 2016, forty days of stupid that presaged four years of stupid. Yeah, this is far from over. It will take at least three years just to tamp down all the magatude to a tolerable infection that we can treat with the proper medication.

That particular detail slipped my mind; actually, I don't even recall that it was ever reported - or, at least, I don't recall reading about it - on This Side Of The Pond.

Top Bottom
1 2