Oregon looks at going "full Portugal"

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Ballot Measure 110 will face the voters this November. It would decriminalize everything (controlled substances), much as they have done In Portugal.

The Portuguese experiment has been largely successful, at least last I looked. Oregon's move would be somewhat limited by comparison. They are not strictly legalizing stuff, the way they did with cannabis + retail. Making and dealing would still be crimes, just as they are in Portugal. If you were found to have a personal amount of cocaine or heroin or LSD, you would get a small fine and be directed to seek treatment instead of being sent to prison.

We have wasted a lot of money and violence on this "drug war". Drugs appear to have won. It is time we face up to that and look for alternatives. It is worth noting that Oregon was the first state to decriminalize cannabis in the '70s, but the effect seemed pretty insignificant at the time. This could be very different (and could support police defunding processes, since they would have a lot less to do).

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
So a known rapist is found with “personal” amounts of Ketamine on his person and now all the police going to be able to do is take it away and give him a slap on the hand?!? Yeah that’ll inconvenience him one night. What about tomorrow night?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
So a known rapist is found with “personal” amounts of Ketamine on his person and now all the police going to be able to do is take it away and give him a slap on the hand?!? Yeah that’ll inconvenience him one night. What about tomorrow night?

Yeah, he could get away with a slap on the wrist for it, and yeah, he could end up using it to commit a rape. The question is, do the police have compelling reason to assume such?

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah, he could get away with a slap on the wrist for it, and yeah, he could end up using it to commit a rape. The question is, do the police have compelling reason to assume such?

Let’s say they did have a compelling reason to assume such. You can’t arrest someone on an assumption. The only thing that would have put him in jail will be legalized by this vote.

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
However don’t worry! If this passes we will end up with a huge influx of drug-related crime where firearms will ultimately end up being used but of course once again the guns will be blamed for the problem. So I guess for the liberals it’s a win-win. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Renzatic

Reaction score
Let’s say they did have a compelling reason to assume such. You can’t arrest someone on an assumption. The only thing that would have put him in jail will be legalized by this vote.

In this particular case, a known rapist carrying date rape drugs on their person could be considered circumstantial evidence, which may be enough to justify an arrest. It'd depend on a lot of other factors though, such as where he was found with the ketamine, how recent his crimes were, how his previous rapes were committed, and other miscellaneous things.

Though as with all things legal, he is innocent until proven guilty, and the burden of proof lies with the authorities. Even if this law weren't being discussed, the only charges our potential rapist would face would be abusing a Schedule III drug. He'd probably be back on the streets in 30 days.

...where he could rape again.

However don’t worry! If this passes we will end up with a huge influx of drug-related crime...

Since dealing is still illegal per this new law, and the only difference is how they treat the users, it probably won't make a massive amount of difference in the crime rate. You'll still have turf wars for hot dealing spots, but people won't be so desperate to hide their habits, meaning they're less likely to take things to the nth degree to feed them.

The big thing will be that they won't be filling their prisons with nonviolent offenders.

Last edited:
U

User.45

However don’t worry! If this passes we will end up with a huge influx of drug-related crime where firearms will ultimately end up being used but of course once again the guns will be blamed for the problem. So I guess for the liberals it’s a win-win. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It would probably cause the opposite. Your gun clutching is pathetic.

U

User.45

Ballot Measure 110 will face the voters this November. It would decriminalize everything (controlled substances), much as they have done In Portugal.

The Portuguese experiment has been largely successful, at least last I looked. Oregon's move would be somewhat limited by comparison. They are not strictly legalizing stuff, the way they did with cannabis + retail. Making and dealing would still be crimes, just as they are in Portugal. If you were found to have a personal amount of cocaine or heroin or LSD, you would get a small fine and be directed to seek treatment instead of being sent to prison.

We have wasted a lot of money and violence on this "drug war". Drugs appear to have won. It is time we face up to that and look for alternatives. It is worth noting that Oregon was the first state to decriminalize cannabis in the '70s, but the effect seemed pretty insignificant at the time. This could be very different (and could support police defunding processes, since they would have a lot less to do).

"A "yes" vote supports making personal non-commercial possession of a controlled substance no more than a Class E violation (max fine of $100 fine) and establishing a drug addiction treatment and recovery program funded in part by the state's marijuana tax revenue and state prison savings."

This is actually what most """civilized""" western nations do.
Jailing people with drug addiction is a really really expensive and stupid thing to do.
Incarceration does the opposite for recovery, it destroys employment opportunities and worsens mental health problems.

My concerns, and this is a very American issue: people should be penalized if they are caught driving under the influence of any of these.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
My concerns, and this is a very American issue: people should be penalized if they are caught driving under the influence of any of these.
Oregon, like most states, has DUI laws that criminalize any kind of driving-while-messed-up, so that much will not change in any way. "Caught" is another matter entirely. In my neighborhood, it seems like two thirds of vehicles on the road are being piloted by drivers amped on meth and the other third are being assholes by proxy because they get aggravated by the meth heads.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hmmm ...

1599934145679.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I sort of just grabbed one at random, but that's pretty sweet :)

Renzatic

Reaction score
So that's what the cool folks mean when they talk about high cost of living. It's 3 times as expensive as my house, but with less square footage.

Living in Dirtpoorville has its perks, I guess.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So that's what the cool folks mean when they talk about high cost of living. It's 3 times as expensive as my house, but with less square footage.

Living in Dirtpoorville has its perks, I guess.
You can live on the cheap out to the suburbs (at least compared to city prices) but you have to live with a bunch of Trump lovers driving around with their trucks and blue lives matter flags acting like giant assholes all the time. Home Depot is their jam.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I want to cover those wood floors with canola oil and slide around naked.

Am I right?

Right?

Anyone?

*crickets*

Renzatic

Reaction score
You can live on the cheap out to the suburbs (at least compared to city prices) but you have to live with a bunch of Trump lovers driving around with their trucks and blue lives matter flags acting like giant assholes all the time. Home Depot is their jam.

It's weird. I live in the heart of Red Republican Land, yet I've only seen a single Trump-Pence sign in a yard, and a handful of Trump bumper stickers during this run up to the election.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's weird. I live in the heart of Red Republican Land, yet I've only seen a single Trump-Pence sign in a yard, and a handful of Trump bumper stickers during this run up to the election.

We were talking about this on MR, since trump supporters can't seem to STFU, the omission of trump support (by way of signs and whatnot) is almost a good indicator of a Biden/Harris vote.

Even here, where it was over 60% trump votes in '16, our neighborhood (we rides bikes all the time at night), like about 15 x 5 block grid, there's only like 12-13 houses with trump signs and at least 10 with Biden. given the trump supporter comfort level around here, that's pretty telling.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don't see how anyone puts that flag out while holding their heads up. I've also noticed that in my area, huge difference between 2016 and now. I see it on trucks but that's as far as they'll take it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not real familiar with this as far as people taking it for their own pleasure. My understanding is that this kind of ballot measure is to reduce penalties for pleasure drugs. Is Ketamine included in that?

Top Bottom
1 2