Panic buying gas

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I see idiots like that every time it seems the price of gas is going to go up. Several years back one guy’s garage exploded when his car somehow bottomed out while leaving the garage and struck a spark. And yeah, he died.

Moving handicap spots? As in further? That makes no sense!

Usually not curb front spots, but large parking lots with multiple rows. I know of at least one high end mall where the former handicap spots were replaced with charging port spots. IMO since Californians are generally about fitness they should have put the port spots in the farthest reaches so those people can get some exercise too. Put them in those spots that rarely get filled except for Christmas time.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If you have an EV, you quickly realize that worrying about finding charging ports everywhere is foolish. If you can charge the car at home, you seldom need to charge it elsewhere. My car only has 100 miles range and I don’t have any issues... but my commute is pretty short. With the many EVs now with 200+ mile range, I don’t see how most people are running into issues. The folks that might have problems are people with street parking only or parking lot only in their condo such that they cannot charge at home.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you have an EV, you quickly realize that worrying about finding charging ports everywhere is foolish. If you can charge the car at home, you seldom need to charge it elsewhere. My car only has 100 miles range and I don’t have any issues... but my commute is pretty short. With the many EVs now with 200+ mile range, I don’t see how most people are running into issues. The folks that might have problems are people with street parking only or parking lot only in their condo such that they cannot charge at home.

I live 32 miles from my work, small company with no charging ports and real no reason to install them. I also live in an older apartment complex with assigned parking and no charging ports.

I do see Teslas at my complex but the owers most likely work at a tech company (possibly even at Tesla) where there are plenty of charging ports at work. I think it's now part of CA building code that EV charging ports need to be part of all new residential construction.

I feel like living in an EV portless residence is the new living in a residence without laundry machines. Part of your weekly routine is going to be spending time elsewhere to take care of that need.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I live 32 miles from my work, small company with no charging ports and real no reason to install them. I also live in an older apartment complex with assigned parking and no charging ports.

I do see Teslas at my complex but the owers most likely work at a tech company (possibly even at Tesla) where there are plenty of charging ports at work. I think it's now part of CA building code that EV charging ports need to be part of all new residential construction.

I feel like living in an EV portless residence is the new living in a residence without laundry machines. Part of your weekly routine is going to be spending time elsewhere to take care of that need.
I think this is the true issue that needs to be addressed to speed EV adoption. I think the push to have the charging stations at truck stops, etc. is fine, but it’s missing the point. We need condos to provide this, areas with street parking need to have EV spots, workplaces need charging spots, etc.

U

User.45

Correct. I did it in Chicago and it wasn't fun...

I posted the formula elsewhere:
Range * DCA * WP - DC

DCA = Daily Charging access ≤ 1 (where 1 = being able to charge every day, e.g. at home).
WP = Winter penalty ≤ 1 (usually ~0.5-0.8)
DC = daily commute (less than 40 mi for the average american).

The charging rate factor is ignored, as I assume here that you are able to fully charge on a charging session.
Battery degradation is ignored, which is <5%/year. For Tesla I think it's about 1% annually.

For you, this equation would be:
Range *0.15*0.9 = 65;
Range = 65 / 0.9 / 0.15.

You'd need a 480mi range EV to be able to get away with charging once a week. That said, you don't need a special charging port. You can charge using a 110V regular outlet, which would give you about 5 miles of charge per hour.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
You'd need a 480mi range EV to be able to get away with charging once a week. That said, you don't need a special charging port. You can charge using a 110V regular outlet, which would give you about 5 miles of charge per hour.
This is how I charge.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Correct. I did it in Chicago and it wasn't fun...

I posted the formula elsewhere:
Range * DCA * WP - DC

DCA = Daily Charging access ≤ 1 (where 1 = being able to charge every day, e.g. at home).
WP = Winter penalty ≤ 1 (usually ~0.5-0.8)
DC = daily commute (less than 40 mi for the average american).

The charging rate factor is ignored, as I assume here that you are able to fully charge on a charging session.
Battery degradation is ignored, which is <5%/year. For Tesla I think it's about 1% annually.

For you, this equation would be:
Range *0.15*0.9 = 65;
Range = 65 / 0.9 / 0.15.

There isn’t an outlet in the carport (I think) and I don’t think apartment property management or my work would be thrilled to let me use power I’m not paying for and at 5 miles per charging hour it sounds like I would need it to be plugged in the entire time I’m at either location.

U

User.45

There isn’t an outlet in the carport (I think) and I don’t think apartment property management or my work would be thrilled to let me use power I’m not paying for and at 5 miles per charging hour it sounds like I would need it to be plugged in the entire time I’m at either location.
It's about a $1 electricity an hour

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I also wonder if all these silly fuckers realize how you have to store gas, it's effective shelf life (especially that E10-E15 they're getting out of pumps ...)

I mean, at least that idiot couple with all the cans are using proper containers ...

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don’t see anyone panicking here in TX. I’m surprised because people are usually stupid lol

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I also wonder if all these silly fuckers realize how you have to store gas, it's effective shelf life (especially that E10-E15 they're getting out of pumps ...)

I mean, at least that idiot couple with all the cans are using proper containers ...

Reminds me of one of the first Sunny in Philidelphia episodes where they were pumping gas into standard 55 gallon plastic garbage cans with the plan to later sell door to door when gas prices rose.

Maybe somebody can invent an engine that's fueled by rolls of toilet paper. It seems there's a certain demographic for that.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
In my condo community we don't (yet) have any EV charging stations and a new owner who moved in a few months ago questioned this, although right now he still is driving a gas vehicle. We really should have at least a few stations set up, as it does limit people in their vehicle choices and such. When a few months ago I was in the new-car-mulling-over stage I had to rule out a total EV right off the bat and I still was hesitant about even doing the hybrid thing and so my car that I bought in October is still a gasoline-only vehicle. Just felt safer and easier to me at this point.....

I think that is really terrible and most inappropriate that in some areas they are installing EV charging stations while moving/replacing handicapped parking spaces. NOT cool unless they also provide the handicapped parking still close and convenient to the mall or shopping area, etc. Why should some able-bodied clown with an EV be able to park close to the facility in order to charge up his vehicle while someone who uses a cane, crutches, a walker or a wheelchair need to park further away in order to get into the mall?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Latest update from The Washington Post and from Colonial Pipeline :

Colonial Pipeline announced that it has launched the restart of pipeline operations as of about 5 p.m. Eastern time. The company said “it will take several days for the product delivery supply chain to return to normal.” There will probably continue to be service interruptions. “Colonial will move as much gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel as is safely possible and will continue to do so until markets return to normal,” the company said.

Relief is on the way!

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
9RNR4U7oCc2-r5guane30udUwquyCmAzEG6-sb7kTZs.jpg

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2