Panoramas

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
4DAAB410-E254-4296-8D1A-790D241F446F.jpeg

Taken on a hike with a friend in the Santa Cruz hills. Completely unplanned or posed. The sun just happened to be placed perfectly.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice, the best way to capture redwoods.

Thanks. I actually like panoramas sometimes just because there is a lot more to work with when cropping down to a more normal size. I used the moving scan mode on the iPhone for that one, but I also have a DJI gimble that will do a rapid 3 shot movement than automatically stitch them together. It will also perform the same movement with a 3X3 square but I don't know how much different that is than just backing the fuck up for a wider shot.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time with panos, I come from the generation of the atari joystick so I its all reverse to me, when trying to stay on the line. Down is up, up is down. I wish that there was an inverse option like there is in every console game for us old folks. Doesn't seem to matter much, I still get instantly fragged by the younger generation.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
There you go, even then it's hard to find the top isn't it? Last time I tried I had to point the camera straight up and couldn't get the roots at the same time. These trees are absolutely majestic.

Agreed, and those were small by redwood standards.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_2148.jpeg

IMG_1624.jpeg

A little lens flare on this next one but in JJ Abrams world that's a feature, not a bug.

IMG_1526.jpeg

Plan to do some adjustments on this next one (as well as remove the wire in the top right corner, I hate that shit). I like how on one side of the tree it's overcast and on the other its clearing up.

IMG_0696.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice! I especially like the first and second ones....
Thanks. Responding to your post before, what have been your issues with getting good panos? Not sure if it's related to your model of phone, but I have noticed the progression on iPhones that this feature has become an unsung hero of improvement.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the iPhone 11 Pro; actually I don't recall the last time I tried doing a pano but it was at least two iPhones ago. I just remember having trouble getting the thing to do what I wanted and probably I was holding it wrong, too.
That's the same phone I have. Most of the time people don't even think of that photo option. It's come a long way in stabilization, stitching, and cropping by default. The only obvious issue would probably be a lot of movement. You probably won't get good results with a lot of people meandering around in the shoot.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Heres one from when they first released the pano feature. You can have some fun with it if you have some friends with you.View attachment 1001
Nice. Reminds me of a mode available on the new DJ phone gimble where it takes photos it will automatically stitch into a panorama but there's a long enough pause between each snap that you can move yourself into the next frame. So it was like of a living room setting you could have a picture of you sitting on the couch and every chair at the same time. Of course you could be more creative with outdoor shots.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_0937.jpeg

More of a forced panorama by cropping. I actually had this printed out large scale mounted and they put the hanging hook on the wrong side probably assuming I uploaded it upside down.

I've kept 2 locally caught mantids and both laid egg sacs. The females do that even if they aren't fertile. My first laid 4 and nothing. I still kept them in the enclosure because they are kind of cool decorative in the natural looking environment enclosure. The second only laid 2. I assumed the same and left them and then BAM! 2 months later 20 - 30 mantids hatched out of each. I was not prepared and while I do see them all as special snowflakes I have to report that a good part of them became food for the others. That's how nature works. I let about a dozen of them go in my parents' garden and I kept one through its life cycle, which is sadly only about a year.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Nice. Reminds me of a mode available on the new DJ phone gimble where it takes photos it will automatically stitch into a panorama but there's a long enough pause between each snap that you can move yourself into the next frame. So it was like of a living room setting you could have a picture of you sitting on the couch and every chair at the same time. Of course you could be more creative with outdoor shots.
I just made them move out of the frame once they were cleared of the frame and pose in the other side. All done in camera. My favourite type of editing.

Top Bottom
1 2