Password Manager Talk

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was not aware there were so many password management tools out there. How do you know the one you’re picking is actually keeping your passwords safe?
You don’t unless they’re audited. It’s why I really only trust open source solutions. KeePassXC and Strongbox are both open source. Bitwarnden is another one. Works on all platforms desktop and mobile and with all major browsers.
@Huntn have you checked out Bitwarnden?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You don’t unless they’re audited. It’s why I really only trust open source solutions. KeePassXC and Strongbox are both open source. Bitwarnden is another one. Works on all platforms desktop and mobile and with all major browsers.
@Huntn have you checked out Bitwarnden?
I looked at it in 2020, but as aI recall it did not allow for private vaults in the cloud? I’ll have to go check my notes.

U

User.191

Hate to break up this love-in hate-rant against 1Password - but I like it.

I used to use LastPass but quickly began to dislike it and me & the missus migrated to 1Password over a year ago and have been very happy.

I also use KeepPassX on my Mac for some stuff that I don't want to throw into the corporate LastPass vault.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hate to break up this love-in hate-rant against 1Password - but I like it.

I used to use LastPass but quickly began to dislike it and me & the missus migrated to 1Password over a year ago and have been very happy.

I also use KeepPassX on my Mac for some stuff that I don't want to throw into the corporate LastPass vault.
Do you have a personal cloud vault on something like Dropbox? Aren’t they getting rid of that Forcing users to switch to their servers?

dogslobber

Power User
Reaction score
BitWarden is one of those cloudy solutions. This is why I stick with Enpass which is free and doesn't post my passwords for the world to download and use.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m on a Codebook trial, but to test it I need to upgrade to Big Sur. I want to see if autofill worksmsatisfactorily will probably upgrade my MBP tomorrow unless I hear something really negative in the newly minted MacOS thread.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Have you considered just using Apple’s Keychain?

I've had issues with Apple's solution. Granted, it's entirely possible there's some user error here, but I've had situations like this.

Log into AWS. It wants me to change my password. I let the browser do it. I tell it to update the password in the keychain. Then next time I go to log in, it doesn't remember the password (I guess it's still remembering the old one?) and I need to reset.

That said, I do rely mostly on the Keychain. I had stuff in eWallet. Then I got sucked into 1Password and had intended to move things to there. That was years ago. I still have both. I rarely use either.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I use Keychain and have started going through all the passwords it has flagged and changing them to whatever string of characters Apple decides. I like how integrated it is with everything (unsurprisingly) I just wish that I could share passwords with family members. There are a certain number of shared accounts me and my wife have where I can't really change the password to something neither of us know. :)

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I use Keychain and have started going through all the passwords it has flagged and changing them to whatever string of characters Apple decides. I like how integrated it is with everything (unsurprisingly) I just wish that I could share passwords with family members. There are a certain number of shared accounts me and my wife have where I can't really change the password to something neither of us know. :)
exactly why I use 1password family manager. I share accounts with my SO and I am trying to teach my kids to use a password manager rather than a funny phrase or cat name. Also they use my streaming accounts and I rotate those passwords often.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have virtually no hiccups with Keychain. It’s really quite an elegant solution.

Other than a few exceptions, it's been pretty solid for me too. It's available on all my devices. I don't need to worry about how to integrate a third-party app. It's not very likely to switch to a subscription model. It's still my preferred solution. I haven't opened one of my password managers in ages.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Decision Has Been Made: Codebook. 👨‍🎓🕺🌈🎉😝
  • Reasonably Priced.
  • No Subscription- take that Aglebits!
  • No Browser Extension-= because it uses Autofill
  • Private, online vault storage or WiFi for synch- take that Aglebits!
  • Touch ID/Face ID.
  • Mac/iOS/PC
  • It works well and reliably pulls up existing passwords held in Codebook.
  • However Note: For auto fill you need at least MacOS 11.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you considered just using Apple’s Keychain?
Yes and decided against it, my reasoning may not be that solid but my idea is if anyone ever gets hold of one of my devices and into it, having a separate secure password protected vault is just another layer of protection. Does keychain update cross to all of your iOS devices? I suppose it does. Codebook works really well on Safari. I need to check Crome of Firefox, maybe it does not work on those,

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes and decided against it, my reasoning may not be that solid but my idea is if anyone ever gets hold of one of my devices and into it, having a separate secure password protected vault is just another layer of protection. Does keychain update cross to all of your iOS devices? I suppose it does. Codebook works really well on Safari. I need to check Crome of Firefox, maybe it does not work on those,
@Alli I wonder if keychain works on all MacOS compatible browsers?

Top Bottom
1 2