Pastor killed with his own gun at church

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Sad story, but why does a church pastor have a gun to begin with?

The Sutherland Springs shootings in 2017 (26 were killed) likely had something to do with decisions to carry in church, laws permitting. It was the worst mass shooting in US history inside a church. Not everyone would think the answer is for the pastor to start carrying, but Texas was among states that changed its laws to be explicit about the right to carry in a church unless the specific church says otherwise.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Sutherland Springs shootings in 2017 (26 were killed) likely had something to do with decisions to carry in church, laws permitting. It was the worst mass shooting in US history inside a church. Not everyone would think the answer is for the pastor to start carrying, but Texas was among states that changed its laws to be explicit about the right to carry in a church unless the specific church says otherwise.

Unfortunately, the result in this case was the opposite of the intended effect. I don’t believe the solution to gun violence is more guns. Also, a pastor carrying a gun seems contradictory to Jesus’ teachings, in my opinion.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the result in this case was the opposite of the intended effect. I don’t believe the solution to gun violence is more guns. Also, a pastor carrying a gun seems contradictory to Jesus’ teachings, in my opinion.

I'd rather see a religious institution hire security if the parishioners will support that.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Did they all eat at Burger King before church? Those crowns.... 😂
burger-king-creeper.jpg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
If he had chosen another profession it wouldn’t have happened either.

And if the suspect hadn’t decided to shoot the pastor it wouldn’t have happened either. Imagine that?

I think we can pretty much stick to the existence of a gun on this one. I think everybody can agree that if a gun wasn't there then it wouldn't have been used.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Monday morning quarterbacking is sure easy.

Do you apply Rube Goldberg machine logic to all situations or only those that put guns in a negative light?

This is one situation. I’m not trying to use it as a blanket condemnation of gun ownership across the board. The pastor had a gun on him for self-defense (assuming that) and the result this time was the polar opposite.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think we can pretty much stick to the existence of a gun on this one. I think everybody can agree that if a gun wasn't there then it wouldn't have been used.

Well, sure, we can get into nonsensical ...if...if...if... backtracking, and eventually wind up at the creation of the universe. I think we should take this event as a general example, and use it for a discussion of the effectiveness, repercussions, etc., of people carrying around firearms. When/how/who/why, vs. the pathetically simple world view: "MUH RIGHTS, MUH GUNS".

Again, for context, I am a firearm owner.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
Do you apply Rube Goldberg machine logic to all situations or only those that put guns in a negative light?

This is one situation. I’m not trying to use it as a blanket condemnation of gun ownership across the board. The pastor had a gun on him for self-defense (assuming that) and the result this time was the polar opposite.

And you knew the outcome the moment it happened. That is the point. What’s the winning lottery numbers so looking into the future is so easy.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well, sure, we can get into nonsensical ...if...if...if... backtracking, and eventually wind up at the creation of the universe. I think we should take this event as a general example, and use it for a discussion of the effectiveness, repercussions, etc., of people carrying around firearms. When/how/who/why, vs. the pathetically simple world view: "MUH RIGHTS, MUH GUNS".

Again, for context, I am a firearm owner.

Gun rights haven’t been brought up...just the second guessing by Nostradamuses.

U

User.45

This is a narrow-minded summary.
I don’t think Christianity teaches they cannot defend themselves or must permit the slaughter of others.
Lol. You're a little too snarky to be the snark popo here, but thanks for the tough-minded commentary on self-defense.

Top Bottom
1 2